DUKE'S 2014-2015 DILEMMA | The Boneyard

DUKE'S 2014-2015 DILEMMA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Duke has only one guard coming back for next year with significant experience (Jones) and she will be coming off a knee injury. They have four five star recruits coming in next fall, but they are ALL front court players. I see that as a significant obstacle to their mainting the success they have had in recent years. I don't see them falling to the level of Clemson, but could this cause them to drop to 4th or 5th place in the ACC next year?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
We have #14 coming back as well. She's played more meaningful minutes in the past 4 games than she had in the 2.875 years previously. She will have to hold the fort down until at least January. Obviously Greenwell and Calhoun have to be ready to play major minutes and contribute right from the start.

Next season.... I would have us battling with Syracuse for the 4th or perhaps 3rd spot in the ACC after ND and UNC. Louisville loses alot of players as well.... so it will be interesting to see how they do. We are pretty much on the opposite end of the spectrum as UL.... all they have are guards... all we have are forwards.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Duke has only one guard coming back for next year with significant experience (Jones) and she will be coming off a knee injury. They have four five star recruits coming in next fall, but they are ALL front court players. I see that as a significant obstacle to their mainting the success they have had in recent years. I don't see them falling to the level of Clemson, but could this cause them to drop to 4th or 5th place in the ACC next year?

It's funny that you compared them to Clemson. In football, Clemson always has highly ranked classes, but they're mostly skill players. There isn't much you can do against good teams when you have mediocre talent in the trenches. Likewise, in basketball, if you don't have good guards to weather a full court press and get the ball to the frontline, you're going to struggle mightily.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
. Likewise, in basketball, if you don't have good guards to weather a full court press and get the ball to the frontline, you're going to struggle mightily.

Thats why I expected us to struggle and probably lose to GaTech on friday..... because they like to press press and press... But you got to make baskets in order to set up their press... and they shot terribly.

Reaction Score
Erin Mathias and Azura Stevens are suppose to play the 3 next year so we'll see how that goes. I see us still being top 3 in the ACC next year. There wont be ONE player next year besides Kiah Stokes that can guard Elizabeth Williams... Becca Greenwell is a STAR

Reaction Score
If Jones is healthy they will be good. They could start Greenwell, Calhoun, E. Williams, Chidom, and Jones. The bench K. Johnson, Henson, and McCravey Cooper. That is a solid 8, assuming no one transfers.

Reaction Score
We have #14 coming back as well. She's played more meaningful minutes in the past 4 games than she had in the 2.875 years previously. She will have to hold the fort down until at least January. Obviously Greenwell and Calhoun have to be ready to play major minutes and contribute right from the start.

Next season.... I would have us battling with Syracuse for the 4th or perhaps 3rd spot in the ACC after ND and UNC. Louisville loses alot of players as well.... so it will be interesting to see how they do. We are pretty much on the opposite end of the spectrum as UL.... all they have are guards... all we have are forwards.
I wouldn't be surprised if Lex is ready before then. I know Alexis personally and she's not one to sit and wait... Hell Odysessy tore her ACL around this time her senior year and I believed started day one for Baylor. I expect Lex do be back mid December and back and game shape mid February.

Reaction Score

Johnson and Jones (if healthy) are the only two backcourt players they will have. I don't think Greenwell or Calhoun are going to be much help against pressing defenses, given her skill sets, and I expect EVERY team is going to try to press the Blue Devils. If either Greenwell or Calhoun had decent handles that would help, but their strengths are shooting and as "big" guards. Also, you don't want freshmen guards having to handle a lot of pressure, and Calhoun is a freshman and Greenwell (because of injury) can almost be considered a freshman. All that said, they will have a tremendous amount of talent and athleticism available, so let's hope they can compensate.

Reaction Score
Johnson and Jones (if healthy) are the only two backcourt players they will have. I don't think Greenwell or Calhoun are going to be much help against pressing defenses, given her skill sets, and I expect EVERY team is going to try to press the Blue Devils. If either Greenwell or Calhoun had decent handles that would help, but their strengths are shooting and as "big" guards. Also, you don't want freshmen guards having to handle a lot of pressure, and Calhoun is a freshman and Greenwell (because of injury) can almost be considered a freshman. All that said, they will have a tremendous amount of talent and athleticism available, so let's hope they can compensate.

They have had Liston playing point for 5 games and done ok against the press. She may be the slowest point guard in the country. Jones is one of the fastest PGs, and Johnson is a good athlete who has been a pleasant surprise shooting 49% FG............ as long as Jones stays healthy I doubt presses will be a serious problem.

FWIW.......... I have heard some people say Calhoun could play point

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Louisville loses alot of players as well.... so it will be interesting to see how they do. We are pretty much on the opposite end of the spectrum as UL.... all they have are guards... all we have are forwards.

If Comcast and Time Warner can pull off a merger, I see no reason why Louisville and Duke can't do likewise!

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Thats why I expected us to struggle and probably lose to GaTech on friday..... because they like to press press and press... But you got to make baskets in order to set up their press... and they shot terribly.

When I saw the ACC tourney match ups I too thought GaTech could trip up you guys. They have some good guards and play pressure defense.

However, you guys hit shots. They didn't! Case closed!

I am interested to see how Duke, Maryland, and UNC fall in the NCAA bracket and seeding. Maryland and UNC are Jekyll and Hyde teams to me. I have seen them play great and I have seen them play wreck less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom