Duke-UConn 1964 | The Boneyard

Duke-UConn 1964

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For those old timers, the first half of KU game must have seemed like 1964 Duke-UConn Regional Final game revisited. Watching this game on the big screen in the Jorgenson Auditorium, we took on a top-ranked Duke team which ran out to a 62-27 halftime lead. Last night at 40-16, that is all I could think of. We were outclassed in every phase of game. My granddaughter said it seemed like a contest between men and boys.

In 1964, we got creamed 101-54, unable to control Jeff Mullins. Jack Marin, Steve Vacendak, Jay Buckley, Hack Tyson and company. Except for Toby Kimball, we in no way matched up.

Last night, we made it respectable in the second half, and showed that we were a much better team than showed up in the first half. We are a much superior program than we were in 64, but it was pretty clear that even when we brought our "A" defense, we were not going to overcome the deficit and knock off the Jayhawks. To me, they look to be the class of the tournament, and I hope they win it all.

Incidentally, The Dukies fell to the Gail Goodrich-led UCLA Bruins in the 1964 championship game, which was the beginning of UCLA's dominance of the NCAA tournament for years to come.

Reaction Score
They said at halftime it was UConn's 2nd biggest halftime deficit in tourney play. Couldn't recall one in the JC years so I assumed it must have been Duke in '64.

Reaction Score
I was a freshman in college in Florida and remember listening to the game on radio. Latter on that spring ended up playing baseball against UConn and some of the basketball players were on the team: Penders, Holowatty and a few others I believe. Tommy Penders is a funny guy and was an outstanding baseball player.
Kansas was better than us but not 24 pts. better. Our kids never game up; a tribute to the players and coaching staff.

Reaction Score
That 1964 game is totally blotted out of my memory as is the first half of yesterday's game.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
2002 against UMass we were down 30-9 at the half. If I remember correctly Rashad hit like 5 3-pointers in the second half and we held them to 5 or 6 field goals. We ended up winning by about 10.

Reaction Score
Penders and company were freshmen in 63-64 and played on great Frosh team Shabel brought in. They did not play varsity ball until next year, 64-65 which was great year for Huskies--Kimball was senior and Bialosuknia and company were sophs.

Yes, Penders was excellent baseball player as well as brother , Jimmy. Tommy was funny in a kind of wise guy way, but I always liked him.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
2002 against UMass we were down 30-9 at the half. If I remember correctly Rashad hit like 5 3-pointers in the second half and we held them to 5 or 6 field goals. We ended up winning by about 10.

We came back from a 40-15 deficit against Pitt. That was a good one!

Reaction Score
We came back from a 40-15 deficit against Pitt. That was a good one!

On the road without Donny due to a suspension, he was sitting in the crowd that game. Well you can do that against Pitt because its well Pitt, but not KU.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
On the road without Donny due to a suspension, he was sitting in the crowd that game. Well you can do that against Pitt because its well Pitt, but not KU.

It was a decent Pitt team, but it wasn't the #1 team in the country, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
Penders and company were freshmen in 63-64 and played on great Frosh team Shabel brought in. They did not play varsity ball until next year, 64-65 which was great year for Huskies--Kimball was senior and Bialosuknia and company were sophs.

Yes, Penders was excellent baseball player as well as brother , Jimmy. Tommy was funny in a kind of wise guy way, but I always liked him.
That makes sense. It was my freshman year and Penders sophomore year when we played them in a double header. We won both including a no no by Fred Cambria. Just thought about something: that was over 50 years ago! The final dirt nap cant be too far away now.:)

Reaction Score
All I could think of was when they played KU in a mens-womens doubleheader on national tv.

Reaction Score
That makes sense. It was my freshman year and Penders sophomore year when we played them in a double header. We won both including a no no by Fred Cambria. Just thought about something: that was over 50 years ago! The final dirt nap cant be too far away now.:)
Hang in there buddy, go down swinging (your golf clubs). ;^)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom