Duke Thoughts | The Boneyard

Duke Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good win today. These games are impossible. If you win by 50, you played a bad team. If you win by 10, you played a bad team. The defense was not good today, but they moved the ball well. Not sure how much you can take out of this opponent, but we won, and Purvis played and looked decent, which is a bonus for me.

As we prepare for Duke the question becomes what type of game do we try and play? Run and gun with Duke, or grind it out half court style? I think we have to make this an ugly game. I just don't think we have the fire power to play with Duke right now. Run when we can, but try and make this a game in the 60s, rather than the 80s. We have to do a great job at the 3 point line in this game, because Duke could end up +30 or so in that department if we don't.

No one will give us a chance, and we will be pumped to play.

Reaction Score
Run at the start...get ahead by 15...and hang on for dear life...but if we get in foul trouble we're dead.

H

huskymagic

Good win today. These games are impossible. If you win by 50, you played a bad team. If you win by 10, you played a bad team. The defense was not good today, but they moved the ball well. Not sure how much you can take out of this opponent, but we won, and Purvis played and looked decent, which is a bonus for me.

As we prepare for Duke the question becomes what type of game do we try and play? Run and gun with Duke, or grind it out half court style? I think we have to make this an ugly game. I just don't think we have the fire power to play with Duke right now. Run when we can, but try and make this a game in the 60s, rather than the 80s. We have to do a great job at the 3 point line in this game, because Duke could end up +30 or so in that department if we don't.

No one will give us a chance, and we will be pumped to play.

Yes we can run with Duke, but its not the most favorable style for us unless we turn them over. The key is Boatright needs to shut down Tyus Jones. Boatright's pressure defense in the halfcourt is imperative against Duke. Hamilton's matchup with Winslow is another one to watch for. Hamilton needs to continue to play as our point forward. Brimah needs to get fed the ball and play aggressive against Okafor. His length should bother Okafor.
Duke is a good 3 point shooting team so have to limit that against them especially Tyus Jones and Rasheed Sulaimon(Samuel needs to guard him instead of Purvis).

Reaction Score
They are really really good this year and it is not the post season- I think we are DOOMED!!!

Reaction Score
I wish Nolan was playing better because I would love him guarding Okafor for the plain reason of Brimah staying out of foul trouble. AB needs to know when to feel him and back off a little leave space and just out the hands up and bother him. If he tries to swat too many he's going to be riding pine and as you know we're in big trouble. Need 30 minutes from him to have any shot.

You know one thing that frightens the piss out of me? We can't get the ball in bounds against any pressure - we have no one I like throwing the ball in, it's a crap shoot. And Duke will be guarding tight on the in bounds everywhere. People need to set solid picks and others need to go to the ball and want it. Even Coppin Out had a run making us work too hard on in bounding.

Never know as I know being a UConn fan, but this match up is one of my least favorite in many years!

Reaction Score
I won't predict a win because Duke is very, very good but I have a feeling we fight like hell and make this a closer game than the experts think. UConn teams have traditionally played some stinkers against lesser competition but we seem to play well against very good competition.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Everyone will being watching Brimah's fouls, but I hope Brimah is aggressive on the offensive end and can draw a foul or two on Okafor. That would probably make him a bit less active on the offensive end which I think would go a long way in disrupting Duke's flow.

Reaction Score
I wish Nolan was playing better because I would love him guarding Okafor for the plain reason of Brimah staying out of foul trouble. AB needs to know when to feel him and back off a little leave space and just out the hands up and bother him. If he tries to swat too many he's going to be riding pine and as you know we're in big trouble. Need 30 minutes from him to have any shot.

You know one thing that frightens the piss out of me? We can't get the ball in bounds against any pressure - we have no one I like throwing the ball in, it's a crap shoot. And Duke will be guarding tight on the in bounds everywhere. People need to set solid picks and others need to go to the ball and want it. Even Coppin Out had a run making us work too hard on in bounding.

Never know as I know being a UConn fan, but this match up is one of my least favorite in many years!

I honestly can't remember the last time a back to the basket player really went off against UConn. I don't know if that's due to the changing nature of college basketball or UConn's defense, probably a little of both.

But UConn's almost always done well against skilled guys like Okafor, it's the power, athletic bigs like Harrell that tend to give them trouble. The back to the basket defense is an underrated aspect to the program, IMO.

Reaction Score
I won't predict a win because Duke is very, very good but I have a feeling we fight like hell and make this a closer game than the experts think. UConn teams have traditionally played some stinkers against lesser competition but we seem to play well against very good competition.

Agreed. I expect them to fight like hell and maybe keep it within range for most of the game, but I just don't see them taking this one without: (i) a superhuman effort from Boat, Hamilton, and Amida; (ii) a career day from Facey; (iii) a major step forward from Rodney; and (iv) some timely shooting from SCJR. They'll also have to be lights out defensively. Duke generates points pretty easily.

Reaction Score
I honestly can't remember the last time a back to the basket player really went off against UConn. I don't know if that's due to the changing nature of college basketball or UConn's defense, probably a little of both.

But UConn's almost always done well against skilled guys like Okafor, it's the power, athletic bigs like Harrell that tend to give them trouble. The back to the basket defense is an underrated aspect to the program, IMO.

Good point but they are shooting it real well so the double downs have to be fast and decisive and they need to get back to shooters. He's a pretty good passer out of the low post!

Reaction Score
I am more worried about our offense. If we have to knock down jumpers, then we better knock down jumpers.

H

huskymagic

Agreed. I expect them to fight like hell and maybe keep it within range for most of the game, but I just don't see them taking this one without: (i) a superhuman effort from Boat, Hamilton, and Amida; (ii) a career day from Facey; (iii) a major step forward from Rodney; and (iv) some timely shooting from SCJR. They'll also have to be lights out defensively. Duke generates points pretty easily.

You overestimate Duke and understimate UCONN's players. The key is Boatright shutting Tyus Jones down in the half court. You cannot allow him to penetrate and I think Boat will take that matchup seriously. Okafor is not a dominant big that scares anybody, and Brimah can bother him with his length and athleticism. Boat's defense on Jones, Hamilton continuing to play as our point forward with success, and preventing wide open 3's from Jones and Rasheed Sulaimon(Terrence Samuels needs to be on him) is a game plan for success against Duke. Facey can more than hold his own against Amile Jefferson, so it should be a good matchup. Feed the bigs, allow Hamilton to do what he does as our point forward, allow Boat to play as out 2 guard while also locking Jones down is a recipe for success on Thursday.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We have to be loud and support them throughout the game. We can't let them get momentum from threes and transition baskets. Foul trouble will be big especially for our team. Zone? Full court pressure? We need to get Okafor in early foul trouble. Biggest thing is that we can't play scared or indecisive, have to be confident. Also when they drive in the lane and have the shot, shoot it. If they can't then pass it out

Reaction Score
You overestimate Duke and understimate UCONN's players. The key is Boatright shutting Tyus Jones down in the half court. You cannot allow him to penetrate and I think Boat will take that matchup seriously. Okafor is not a dominant big that scares anybody, and Brimah can bother him with his length and athleticism. Boat's defense on Jones, Hamilton continuing to play as our point forward with success, and preventing wide open 3's from Jones and Rasheed Sulaimon(Terrence Samuels needs to be on him) is a game plan for success against Duke. Facey can more than hold his own against Amile Jefferson, so it should be a good matchup. Feed the bigs, allow Hamilton to do what he does as our point forward, allow Boat to play as out 2 guard while also locking Jones down is a recipe for success on Thursday.

Interesting match up for Facey. Jefferson has improved, is a smart player and somewhat physical yet Kentan has length on him. Needs to keep him off the o-boards and hold his own in that match up!

Reaction Score
Today’s game showed many positives going into the Duke game, which is just what we needed…

D.Ham really gets it. He was the catalyst to the game today. Maybe he didn’t score a lot of points, but he got the offense moving & was the opportunist. He created great opportunities for Brimah and also Facey. He definitely is a PG in a SF body. I think we go as far as D.Ham goes, so his development is the key to the season for me (not to add pressure but he seems understand & embrace it). I think our strength going into the Duke game is getting the ball up high for our Bigs to catch & finish, both Brimah & Facey. Okafor may have tons of offensive skills, but he’s not as long or athletic as Brimah. It’s something I think we can exploit on Thursday, but our guards need to buy into it consistently. If UConn can continue to feed Brimah high with lobs like today, Okafor will have a tougher time defending & hopefully get into foul trouble (that’s the key for me). Okafor can also get Brimah in foul trouble too, so let’s attack first, not second. Facey also appears longer than Jefferson. I like that Facey seemed more aggressive today too. Definitely a confidence builder for Facey, not just Brimah. Hopefully D.Ham & our guards recognize this next game & attack. Put Duke on their heals. Be the aggressor & attack. We’ve had success with Duke when we attack.

Almost lost among today’s game, Boatright was excellent too. His handle was back, his outside shot was there & he was fearless attacking. He looked confident today. It was great to seem him looking so good. He’s our leader & fearless. He has the mentality to be the leader on Thursday & take over. He’s been there & his defense has come a long way. We need our other guards to follow suit.

My biggest concern about Duke is about containing their ball handlers & outside shooting. Ty Jones is excellent. Q. Cooke has been impressive since he’s no longer the primary ball handler. J. Winslow is quite talented too & an impressive defender. Keys are containing Okafor, containing their ball handlers but also limiting their outside shots (which has been tough on us this year)…

That’s my take.

Reaction Score
Purvis still hurt/off. He looks uncomfortable, often. Hope he can bring it around. Brimah is going to be full of confidence, which is great and will help. Hamilton is too young and gifted to be intimidated or cautious. Boat will be amped and play great. But probably not enough. We need more dynamic players to beat the team of the little mouse. We need two reliable threats from 3 and super D which has not shown up yet. Liked Lubins free throw stroke tonight as a side note.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
we need to impose our will on them to beat them, but I don't think we're there yet

we need to play great defense, we will play great defense at some point this season, but I think we're still working out the kinks right now

one thing we should have Thursday night, an edge in attitude

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Huskies should approach this game like an NCAA tourney elimination game. Why?. In reality it probably is. If UConn gets blow out, we may need to win AAC tourney to guarantee a bid.
Who is left on the schedule that is a high quality win? Florida is rebuilding. SMU?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Is this a prediction thread?
Duke 217
Uconn 34

doomed

In all seriousness I don't worry so much about our D being like it was today. They will be much tighter on Duke. It's human nature. D is 85 percent effort. Natural to play a bit looser when operating with an 11 point cushion 90 seconds into game. I worry about:
1) our tendency to dig a hole before 1/2 with looser D. We've been an excellent 2nd half defensive team even with the losses.
2). Finding offense other than lobs which Duke will take away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom