OT - Duke recruiting machine | The Boneyard

OT - Duke recruiting machine

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This isn't a thread about UConn or how far we've fallen etc etc, go argue about that somewhere else.

The exposure a school like Duke gets for it's players is truly incredible. How do schools compete with that, other than the fact that not every 5 star player can go to Duke? ESPN basically tells players, they won't be a good fit at x school but they'd be great for Duke.

Then you have profiles like this where another sports service casually has Steve Nash(granted he is RJ Barrett's godfather) do a profile on their second best player.

Reaction Score
I think that almost every Duke game was featured on ESPN or ESPN2. No other ACC team had that much access to the network.

That primetime exposure give Duke an incredible advantage. I'll guarantee that the top recruit in the nation will sign with Duke.

This is college basketball today

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I think that almost every Duke game was featured on ESPN or ESPN2. No other ACC team had that much access to the network.

That primetime exposure give Duke an incredible advantage. I'll guarantee that the top recruit in the nation will sign with Duke.

It’s a scam.

Rat Fink can’t go away soon enough.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion and perhaps unpopular, but they really just need to let this whole sports thing (especially basketball and football) break away from UNI and this whole illusion of student-athlete and just turn it into what it really is, a farm system for the NBA and NFL, kind of like how baseball has an extensive farm league system already and let students who want to attend UNI for learning first can go the UNI route and play sports in their free time. It will never happen, but that is really the only way to get the majority of corruption out. Too much $$ involved for that to occur, oh well. But with this current model, really teams like Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc. will continue to dominate forever basically.

Last edited:

the Q

Reaction Score
Just my opinion and perhaps unpopular, but they really just need to let this whole sports thing (especially basketball and football) break away from UNI and this whole illusion of student-athlete and just turn it into what it really is, a farm system for the NBA and NFL, kind of like how baseball has an extensive farm league system already and let students who want to attend UNI for learning first can go the UNI route and play sports in their free time. It will never happen, but that is really the only way to get the majority of corruption out. Too much $$ involved, oh well.

I agree.

I think you’ll see this divide happen at the high school level first.

The the pro sports leagues are too freaking cheap to want to do it on their own.

Reaction Score
I don't know, I guess I just resolve to the simple fact of they are good. Always. When you are always good, the media machine will build the narrative. When the narrative is there and you can substantiate it, then the exposure will be there and it's a rinse and repeat situation. Not at the same level, but we were "Wing-U" for about 13-14 years. We had a string of Donyell, Ray Allen, Rip, Caron, Rudy Gay, Sticks, etc. where each guy was the heir apparent and that was sold by Dukie V on every telecast and by the horde and everywhere else. Obviously, our sitch was a bit different as our guys were 2-3 year players in a time when the one-and-done was more of a rarity so there was not the constant reshuffling of today. But another school recruiting those guys could not compete w/ that narrative.

To me it's not about "how do we compete" with the exposure, it's figure out a way to beat them to build your own rep and watch some of there's dissipate. I think we were a huge part of that from 99-09 and then Calipari from 09-14 when Coach K, hypocritically, became the proverbial master of the one and done as not only he is stockpiling them, but he can actually coach them up. Now another school has to rise up and beat them and watch the hype machine diminish. It's happened before, it will happen again.

the Q

Reaction Score
Just my opinion and perhaps unpopular, but they really just need to let this whole sports thing (especially basketball and football) break away from UNI and this whole illusion of student-athlete and just turn it into what it really is, a farm system for the NBA and NFL, kind of like how baseball has an extensive farm league system already and let students who want to attend UNI for learning first can go the UNI route and play sports in their free time. It will never happen, but that is really the only way to get the majority of corruption out. Too much $$ involved for that to occur, oh well. But with this current model, really teams like Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc. will continue to dominate forever basically.

Not only that, but you’re basically using tax payer funds to subsidize the nba and nfl minor league programs

Reaction Score
1553194839823.png

polycom

Reaction Score
I think people say money that is a lazy take. Duke doesn’t have the most money, a lot of places have money. There has to be more to it I’m sure coach K is a huge factor but UNC has MJ, not nearly the recruiting machine duke is

Reaction Score
K can’t last forever. There are maybe 6 schools that get all the top players. No one can compete with this. It basically means that for these schools even though championships are not guaranteed, there are no down years. They know they will be a top 10 team or such every year and high profile national tv every game.forget about ESPN +.

Reaction Score
Duke is a recruits dream. Great school, legendary coach (even though I think he's slightly overrated as far as X's and O's), loyal fanbase, they always win, and immediate exposure. If I was a top recruit I'd go to Duke without even considering anywhere else. Well, I PERSONALLY would go to UConn but if I was a non-biased recruit, it'd be Duke.

Reaction Score
What schools do you know that have 3 NBA draft picks in the top 10? There has to be a way to reform this because it is not an amateur sport for these top players.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think people say money that is a lazy take. Duke doesn’t have the most money, a lot of places have money. There has to be more to it I’m sure coach K is a huge factor but UNC has MJ, not nearly the recruiting machine duke is
MJ isn't at UNC K is at Duke Big difference
Why don't all the best players go to UCLA? - Walton Jabbar et al
Duke is partly where it is because of the airplay they receive. They are on every pregame show, every NCAA ad, every CBB magazine...............
K has a lot to do with it because he is so visible - much more than any coach in sports. Period. If he doesn't win it all this year I would think there are questions about his system - hands down the most talent on the floor at the start of the game
If things were all even, the person who should be the most visible coach in USA is Geno

polycom

Reaction Score
MJ isn't at UNC K is at Duke Big difference
Why don't all the best players go to UCLA? - Walton Jabbar et al
Duke is partly where it is because of the airplay they receive. They are on every pregame show, every NCAA ad, every CBB magazine.....
K has a lot to do with it because he is so visible - much more than any coach in sports. Period. If he doesn't win it all this year I would think there are questions about his system - hands down the most talent on the floor at the start of the game
If things were all even, the person who should be the most visible coach in USA is Geno

What Geno has more talent on the floor any duke ever does v. their competition. No it wouldn’t draw questions in his system the players would get blamed. Cam do you watch basketball

Reaction Score
Nothing but respect for coach K, he does it the right way.

Reaction Score
Duke is the most watched basketball program today...playing in 6 of the top 9 most watched games.

This year’s New York Life ACC Men’s Basketball Tournament set new records for ESPN, as the Duke-North Carolina semifinal and the Duke-Florida State championship game are now the most-viewed Champ Week games in ESPN history.

It is kind of like football....in football, the value of "helmet teams" is not linear.

A conference with two helmet teams (A and B) gets one helmet team match up per season (A vs B)...(double that for basketball)

A conference with three helmet teams (A, B and C) gets three helmet team match ups per season (A vs B, A vs C and B vs C)

A conference with four helmet teams (A, B, C and D) gets six helmet team match ups per season (A vs B, A vs C, A vs D, B vs C, B vs D and C vs D)

The difference between having two football helmet teams and four helmet teams is six fold. Networks may have become very aware of this.

Duke has the benefit of matches that draw (the equivalent of football "helmet teams").

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
They are the "Alabama" of college basketball, and I mean that in every which way.

They are very very "organized and controlled" in everything they do, on and off the court.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Duke is the most watched basketball program today...playing in 6 of the top 9 most watched games.

This year’s New York Life ACC Men’s Basketball Tournament set new records for ESPN, as the Duke-North Carolina semifinal and the Duke-Florida State championship game are now the most-viewed Champ Week games in ESPN history.

It is kind of like football....in football, the value of "helmet teams" is not linear.

A conference with two helmet teams (A and B) gets one helmet team match up per season (A vs B)...(double that for basketball)

A conference with three helmet teams (A, B and C) gets three helmet team match ups per season (A vs B, A vs C and B vs C)

A conference with four helmet teams (A, B, C and D) gets six helmet team match ups per season (A vs B, A vs C, A vs D, B vs C, B vs D and C vs D)

The difference between having two football helmet teams and four helmet teams is six fold. Networks may have become very aware of this.

Duke has the benefit of matches that draw (the equivalent of football "helmet teams").

While you might be right in a vacuum. Duke is by far and away most watched this year because of Zion. Might as well say Zion is the most watched team.

Even when Zion wasn't playing, people watched Duke to see them look mortal without him.

Reaction Score

I had ESPN on at work a couple weeks ago. They broke into SportsCenter to show Duke's pregame warmups LIVE.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I had ESPN on at work a couple weeks ago. They broke into SportsCenter to show Duke's pregame warmups LIVE.

I mean, I'd like to see Zion dunking in warmups....just saying

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom