Duke loses guard Mikayla Boykin for season with knee injury | The Boneyard

Duke loses guard Mikayla Boykin for season with knee injury

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
DURHAM, N.C. -- Duke says freshman guard Mikayla Boykin will miss the rest of the season after injuring her left knee.

Duke guard Kyra Lambert says she will redshirt this season after tearing a knee ligament during the NCAA tournament. Lambert said she will resume playing in 2018-19 as a redshirt junior. Team spokesman Lindy Brown said Friday that Boykin was hurt Sunday in the 14th-ranked Blue Devils' victory over Winthrop.
Boykin averaged 4.6 points, 3.2 assists, 3.2 rebounds and 1.2 steals while starting Duke's first eight games.

[STORY]

Reaction Score
oooh, so very very sorry. Hoping for a full and speedy recovery. Thanks for the report, Scoop!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Mikayla played 8 games, I think she can get a 5th year from the NCAA. Right?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm hoping so. This on top of the terrible news about Tori McCoy. Just maddenly sad. Get well soon Mikayla.

Reaction Score
Looking at roster and just noticed that the fugly sweater assistant is finally gone. Never liked him. Former Vol.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Actually she played in 10 games...... started the first 8.. came off the bench for the last 2. I think i read on this site that a player can redshirt if they havent played in over 30% of the games. If that is indeed the case... then Duke has to play 34 games in order for Boykin to redshirt. Im counting 29 regular season games.... so Im thinking Duke needs to either advance to the ACC Finals and get to the second round of the NCAAs.... or get to the ACC semis and advance to the Sweet 16.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Looking at roster and just noticed that the fugly sweater assistant is finally gone. Never liked him. Former Vol.
Al Brown. A permanent member of Geno's ****list.

McCallie Announces Staff Changes for 2017-18

Duke women’s basketball head coach Joanne P. McCallie has announced staff changes heading into the 2017-18 campaign. Sam Miller has been elevated to assistant coach, RJ Hunter was hired as video coordinator and Al Brown will move to the role of special assistant effective immediately.

After being on the sideline as an assistant or head coach on both the men’s and women’s side for the last 50 years, Brown will move to a special assistant role with the Blue Devils. Brown has been alongside McCallie for 13 years at both Duke and Michigan State, while leading their teams to 12 NCAA Tournament selections and four conference championships. Brown will continue to help develop game strategies, break down game film, plan practices, and prepare pregame scouting materials along with counseling and advising members of the program.

Reaction Score
Actually she played in 10 games. started the first 8.. came off the bench for the last 2. I think i read on this site that a player can redshirt if they havent played in over 30% of the games. If that is indeed the case... then Duke has to play 34 games in order for Boykin to redshirt. Im counting 29 regular season games.... so Im thinking Duke needs to either advance to the ACC Finals and get to the second round of the NCAAs.... or get to the ACC semis and advance to the Sweet 16.

Nope. The denominator is the sum of a team's regular season games + 1. The formula is set up that way so that a team that goes far in the postseason doesn't gain an advantage over a lesser team.

You are correct that the pct is 30%. And fractions are rounded up. So a Duke player would be eligible for a medical hardship waiver (often incorrectly referred to as a redshirt) if she hadn't played more than 9 games (29 x 30% = 8.7). Unfortunately she misses by one game.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Nope. The denominator is the sum of a team's regular season games + 1. The formula is set up that way so that a team that goes far in the postseason doesn't gain an advantage over a lesser team.

You are correct that the pct is 30%. And fractions are rounded up. So a Duke player would be eligible for a medical hardship waiver (often incorrectly referred to as a redshirt) if she hadn't played more than 9 games (29 x 30% = 8.7). Unfortunately she misses by one game.
Here's a question: Can Duke schedule an additional nonconference game on short notice in order to increase the denominator and salvage her eligibility?

Duke has 29 regular-season games, so the denominator right now is 29+1 = 30. If their denominator were 31, then 30% of 31 would be 9.3, which is rounded up to 10, in which case Boykin's 10 games would be okay.

Reaction Score
Duke has had, not only more then their share of injuries, but injuries in area's they could least afford to have them in.

Reaction Score
Here's a question: Can Duke schedule an additional nonconference game on short notice in order to increase the denominator and salvage her eligibility?

Duke has 29 regular-season games, so the denominator right now is 29+1 = 30. If their denominator were 31, then 30% of 31 would be 9.3, which is rounded up to 10, in which case Boykin's 10 games would be okay.

In the case of Duke, no they cannot. The max number of regular season games for a team (other than those in an official MTE) is 29 - so no more games can be scheduled for them.

Not sure if it would be allowed if Duke was not already at the max. There doesn't seem to be anything in the bylaws to prohibit it.

Reaction Score
Not sure if it would be allowed if Duke was not already at the max. There doesn't seem to be anything in the bylaws to prohibit it.

In 2009-11, UNC played an extra game on the weekend between the ACC & NCAA tourneys. Never seen another team do that. I kinda thought they might have been added to the sked late.
(2009 v South Dakota, 2010 v NC Central, 2011 v Kennesaw St).

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Damned ACL injuries. Someday, someone will find a way to reduce these nasty wounds.

Plebe

Reaction Score
In the case of Duke, no they cannot. The max number of regular season games for a team (other than those in an official MTE) is 29 - so no more games can be scheduled for them.

Ah, I didn't realize that 29 was the max.
But what does MTE stand for?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Actually she played in 10 games. started the first 8.. came off the bench for the last 2. I think i read on this site that a player can redshirt if they havent played in over 30% of the games. If that is indeed the case... then Duke has to play 34 games in order for Boykin to redshirt. Im counting 29 regular season games.... so Im thinking Duke needs to either advance to the ACC Finals and get to the second round of the NCAAs.... or get to the ACC semis and advance to the Sweet 16.
Darn! I was hoping that she had played in only 8. She's slightly over the limit, but look at the bright side--it didn't exactly hold back Sue Bird.

Reaction Score
Ah, I didn't realize that 29 was the max.
But what does MTE stand for?

"Multi-Team Event". If a team plays in an official MTE, then it can play 27 games PLUS the games in the MTE (which can be as high as four). This makes it possible to play as many as 31 games.

Plebe

Reaction Score
"Multi-Team Event". If a team plays in an official MTE, then it can play 27 games PLUS the games in the MTE (which can be as high as four). This makes it possible to play as many as 31 games.
Ah, I see. So an MTE would be a tournament such as the Gulf Coast Showcase or the Play4Kay event?

To my knowledge, the largest of the MTEs this season have consisted of 8 teams playing 3 games per team. I can't think of any team that's played 4 games in an MTE this season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ah, I see. So an MTE would be a tournament such as the Gulf Coast Showcase of the Play4Kay event?

To my knowledge, the largest of the MTEs this season have consisted of 8 teams playing 3 games per team. I can't think of any team that's played 4 games in an MTE this season.

Not sure. There are dozens of MTE's on the men's side - many of them four games per team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom