Duke extends Joanne P. McCallie's contract | The Boneyard

Duke extends Joanne P. McCallie's contract

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
DURHAM, N.C. -- Duke has extended women's basketball coach Joanne P. McCallie's contract through the 2020-21 season. Athletic director Kevin White announced the extension Monday. Terms were not disclosed, as is customary at the school.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
latest

Reaction Score
A twitter response to Voepel suggested that it was necessary for recruiting. The devil is in the details of what is required for a buyout if things go south again.

HGN

Reaction Score
A twitter response to Voepel suggested that it was necessary for recruiting. The devil is in the details of what is required for a buyout if things go south again.
Very good point , Vowel.

HGN

Reaction Score
Oh dear, I hope Triad and the other Duke visitors have lots of comfort foods and a well stocked bar on hand today cause I don't think they are going to be happy to see this news!
Aww, give the girl a chance..........:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
It is not as if Duke has slid into WBB oblivion with Coach McCallie at the helm. Perennial Top 10's, 4 straight elite 8's. There are few WBB programs doing better. Coach McCallie's predecessor went elsewhere and was not able to duplicate the same success she engineered at Duke. It's a tough gig. Who knows, a couple of different tournament draws here and there, Duke makes a Final 4 or three.

I, for one, do not believe a change at the top will change things substantially for the Blue Devils. Nor, do I believe that a different coach would have had substantially better results over the last 10 years.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
For those who defend McCallie, they are more likely to ook at her Duke resume in a vacuum:

- Four Elite Eights in 10 years
- Three ACC Tournament titles in 10 years
- Three ACC COY honors
- 273-71 (.794) overall record while at Duke
- 121-33 (.786) conference record while at Duke

For those who look at the entire program and its history, from where it was until now, it is a VASTLY DIFFERENT story

These were the numbers as of FEBRUARY 2016, 8.5 years into McCallie's tenure at Duke, as compared with the last 7 years of the Gail Goestenkors era (I was feeling lazy and did not want to do the additional research):

Overall record:
Goestenkors: 220-25 (89.79 percent)
McCallie: 243-64 (79.15 percent)

ACC record:
Goestenkors: 98-8 (92.45 percent)
McCallie: 107-30 (78.10 percent)

Against Top 5 Opponents:
Goestenkors: 14-14 (50.00 percent)
McCallie: 7-28 (20.00 percent)

Against Top 10 Opponents:
Goestenkors: 25-14 (64.10 percent)
McCallie: 19-36 (34.545 percent)

Against Ranked Opponents:
Goestenkors: 60-20 (80.00 percent)
McCallie: 58-49 (54.21 percent)

Against UConn:
Goestenkors: 2-1 (2-2 for her career; 2-1 against UConn over her last seven years; both wins in the State of Connecticut)
McCallie: 0-8 (and only one loss was less than 22 points, and that was by 16 points)

Against Tennessee:
Goestenkors: 4-3 (5-4 for her career; 4-3 against Tennessee over her last seven years)
McCallie: 1-1

These numbers are for the last 10 years of Goestenkors vs. the ten years of McCallie at Duke:

NCAA Tournament Results:
Goestenkors: 2 national title games, 4 Final Fours, 7 Elite Eights, 10 Sweet 16s (out of 10 years)
McCallie: zero Final Fours, 4 Elite Eights, 6 Elite Eights, 3 second round losses, one year not making the tournament (out of 10 years)

And the last four years of the McCallie era? 2nd round, Sweet 16, missed tournament, 2nd round

The program has gone from being a perennial national title contender to one that has as many 2nd round losses and missed tournaments as it does Elite Eight appearances.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
It is not as if Duke has slid into WBB oblivion with Coach McCallie at the helm. Perennial Top 10's, 4 straight elite 8's. There are few WBB programs doing better. Coach McCallie's predecessor went elsewhere and was not able to duplicate the same success she engineered at Duke. It's a tough gig. Who knows, a couple of different tournament draws here and there, Duke makes a Final 4 or three.

I, for one, do not believe a change at the top will change things substantially for the Blue Devils. Nor, do I believe that a different coach would have had substantially better results over the last 10 years.

Going from the ACC top dog to a 4 or 5th place finish calls for action.

Reaction Score
For those who defend McCallie, they are more likely to ook at her Duke resume in a vacuum:

For those who look at the entire program and its history, from where it was until now, it is a VASTLY DIFFERENT story

These were the numbers as of FEBRUARY 2016, 8.5 years into McCallie's tenure at Duke, as compared with the last 7 years of the Gail Goestenkors era (I was feeling lazy and did not want to do the additional research):

The program has gone from being a perennial national title contender to one that has as many 2nd round losses and missed tournaments as it does Elite Eight appearances.

What you might be suggesting here is that Coach Auriemma's successor had better secure, at minimum, a seven year contract.:)

Reaction Score

I agree. It always seems to escape people the level of injuries this club has had to endure year after year has been quite high.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Nor, do I believe that a different coach would have had substantially better results over the last 10 years.

NCAA Tournament results, last four years:
2nd round, Sweet 16, missed tournament, 2nd round.

I would say there are more than just "a few" programs doing better, especially with a coach who makes close to $1 million per year.

Edited to add: McCallie's last extension was announced in April 2013. The four years of results mentioned above (2nd round, Sweet 16, missed tournament, 2nd round) are what have happened since that previous extension. In other words, it has been some time since the four straight Elite Eight appearances.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
NCAA Tournament results, last four years:
2nd round, Sweet 16, missed tournament, 2nd round.

I would say there are more than just "a few" programs doing better, especially with a coach who makes close to $1 million per year.

Edited to add: McCallie's last extension was announced in April 2013. The four years of results mentioned above (2nd round, Sweet 16, missed tournament, 2nd round) are what have happened since that previous extension. In other words, it has been some time since the four straight Elite Eight appearances.

I went to the ND site to see how she's done against Muffet McGraw and the Irish over the years.

"McCallie is 2-10 against Notre Dame with a 2-0 mark during her tenure at Michigan State and an 0-10 record since moving to Durham.

"Notre Dame leads the all-time series, 15-1, and has won each of the last 13 meetings since an 80-62 Blue Devil victory on Nov. 22, 1997 at Cameron Indoor Arena. At 16 games, the Duke series is by far Notre Dame's longest against any ACC school which was not also once a fellow member of the BIG EAST Conference, doubling the seven-game histories against Georgia Tech and North Carolina.

"The Irish hold a 9-0 record against Duke since Notre Dame joined the ACC for the 2013-14 season, recording a 5-0 record in regular-season contests and a 4-0 record in the ACC Tournament."

So Coach P. was kept for recruiting? Duke AD White -- who previously had this gig at ND (for your safety's sake, don't bring this up on any board at ND Nation), might've checked these results in the ACC to see how Coach P is doing against one of their rival programs (umm, she did better at Michigan State). Having watched virtually every one of these
Duke-ND games over the past few years, I have no idea what's going to happen after Brown and Greenwell graduate...two self-starters who I admire tremendously.

Funny thing is, there is a Duke graduate who has built a program up well in the ACC and acquits herself well...it's just that Katie Meier and Miami seem to be a match made in heaven.

Reaction Score
So Coach P. was kept for recruiting?

That's not what was meant by the "recruiting" comment.

In order for a coach to be successful on the recruiting trail, his/her contract needs to extend out at least a few years. Otherwise, recruits will think the coach is in trouble. If the coach isn't going to be there, why would a kid commit to that coach? Catch-22. The school has gotta stick with the coach, until it's not sticking with the coach.
If the institution wants the coach to have a chance at success, you've gotta give an extension.
If the institution has no intention of keeping the coach, then they should cut bait now. A period of limbo with a lame duck coach is bad for everyone involved and can do longterm damage to the program.

Reaction Score
Duke and J.P. McCallie is a match made in BB heaven! Administration doesn't support the program and McCallie sends her players under the bus every post-game press conference!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I went to the ND site to see how she's done against Muffet McGraw and the Irish over the years.

"McCallie is 2-10 against Notre Dame with a 2-0 mark during her tenure at Michigan State and an 0-10 record since moving to Durham.

"Notre Dame leads the all-time series, 15-1, and has won each of the last 13 meetings since an 80-62 Blue Devil victory on Nov. 22, 1997 at Cameron Indoor Arena. At 16 games, the Duke series is by far Notre Dame's longest against any ACC school which was not also once a fellow member of the BIG EAST Conference, doubling the seven-game histories against Georgia Tech and North Carolina.

"The Irish hold a 9-0 record against Duke since Notre Dame joined the ACC for the 2013-14 season, recording a 5-0 record in regular-season contests and a 4-0 record in the ACC Tournament."

So Coach P. was kept for recruiting? Duke AD White -- who previously had this gig at ND (for your safety's sake, don't bring this up on any board at ND Nation), might've checked these results in the ACC to see how Coach P is doing against one of their rival programs (umm, she did better at Michigan State). Having watched virtually every one of these
Duke-ND games over the past few years, I have no idea what's going to happen after Brown and Greenwell graduate...two self-starters who I admire tremendously.

Funny thing is, there is a Duke graduate who has built a program up well in the ACC and acquits herself well...it's just that Katie Meier and Miami seem to be a match made in heaven.
Thanks for the Duke-ND analysis which is extremely relevant, imho, because the Irish are exactly the program that Duke WBB should benchmark their level of expectations against. On that basis, clearly Coach McCallie has fallen far short of expectations.

I guess there's no chance that Duke will be looking to get back on UConn's schedule anytime soon.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Excellent news! The only thing better would be hearing that Coach Warlick has had her contract extended through 2026-27 - you gotta give her time to get the new recruits up to speed.

I suspect the spectre of Holly Warlick and a few name recognition coaching flame outs and a whole lot of behind the scenes ass kissing and maybe even "donations" could explain this one.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

- Four Elite Eights in 10 years
- Three ACC Tournament titles in 10 years
- Three ACC COY honors
- 273-71 (.794) overall record while at Duke
- 121-33 (.786) conference record while at Duke

Overall record:
Goestenkors: 220-25 (89.79 percent)
McCallie: 243-64 (79.15 percent)

ACC record:
Goestenkors: 98-8 (92.45 percent)
McCallie: 107-30 (78.10 percent)

Against Top 5 Opponents:
Goestenkors: 14-14 (50.00 percent)
McCallie: 7-28 (20.00 percent)

Against Top 10 Opponents:
Goestenkors: 25-14 (64.10 percent)
McCallie: 19-36 (34.545 percent)

Against Ranked Opponents:
Goestenkors: 60-20 (80.00 percent)
McCallie: 58-49 (54.21 percent)

Against UConn:
Goestenkors: 2-1 (2-2 for her career; 2-1 against UConn over her last seven years; both wins in the State of Connecticut)
McCallie: 0-8 (and only one loss was less than 22 points, and that was by 16 points)

Against Tennessee:
Goestenkors: 4-3 (5-4 for her career; 4-3 against Tennessee over her last seven years)
McCallie: 1-1

These numbers are for the last 10 years of Goestenkors vs. the ten years of McCallie at Duke:

NCAA Tournament Results:
Goestenkors: 2 national title games, 4 Final Fours, 7 Elite Eights, 10 Sweet 16s (out of 10 years)
McCallie: zero Final Fours, 4 Elite Eights, 6 Elite Eights, 3 second round losses, one year not making the tournament (out of 10 years)

And the last four years of the McCallie era? 2nd round, Sweet 16, missed tournament, 2nd round

Good to hear from you. You can recite that stuff in your sleep can't you.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
That's not what was meant by the "recruiting" comment.

In order for a coach to be successful on the recruiting trail, his/her contract needs to extend out at least a few years. Otherwise, recruits will think the coach is in trouble. If the coach isn't going to be there, why would a kid commit to that coach? Catch-22. The school has gotta stick with the coach, until it's not sticking with the coach.
If the institution wants the coach to have a chance at success, you've gotta give an extension.
If the institution has no intention of keeping the coach, then they should cut bait now. A period of limbo with a lame duck coach is bad for everyone involved and can do longterm damage to the program.

Thanks for the explanation Vowelguy, but as a WCBB fan who has found himself increasingly studying the recruiting aspects of the college game, I pretty well understand what you're saying. My point -- perhaps not made well enough -- is that as well as Coach P. might be recruiting or needs to recruit, there's the other matter of making all that melange work on the court in a unified manner. We've all read about her recruiting "gets" over the years, but as our Durham-based colleagues have pointed out, it's ain't necessarily keeping them on the top of the ACC porch.

So, White and/or some others have decided, last year's performance was good enough to give her another shot at doing it all over again. As Voepel says, keep the status quo. In my mind, Greenwell and Brown had more to do with Duke success last year than McCallie did. In my mind, Duke kind of sells itself...it's McCallie's job to take it from there.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom