Duke 1999 | The Boneyard

Duke 1999

Reaction Score
Played the Ocean Course in Kiawah yesterday, what a beautiful course! My caddy sees my UConn head covers and says he is happy Hurley said to the Lakers but he doesn’t really like UConn because they beat the best Duke team ever in 1999 and he is a Duke fan. All I could do was smile. Sure is wonderful bleeding national flag blue. We are truly blessed

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Played the Ocean Course in Kiawah yesterday, what a beautiful course! My caddy sees my UConn head covers and says he is happy Hurley said to the Lakers but he doesn’t really like UConn because they beat the best Duke team ever in 1999 and he is a Duke fan. All I could do was smile. Sure is wonderful bleeding national flag blue. We are truly blessed
And he's still feeling it 25 years later. :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Cough second best cough cough

Reaction Score
Not even the best Duke team of the 1990s lmao. Laettner, Hurley, AND Grant Hill were on the early ‘90s teams, silly.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not even the best Duke team of the 1990s lmao. Laettner, Hurley, AND Grant Hill were on the early ‘90s teams, silly.
Versus Brand, Battier, Maggette, Langdon and Avery.

The 1999 Duke squad was absolutely stacked. They were clearly the second best team in the country that year.

Agree though that Laettner, Hurley and Hill are three all-time college greats, but the 1999 was loaded as well. I love remembering how the championship game was thought to be a coronation instead of a contest. Well, we may have shocked the world, but we didn't shock UConn nation. I always felt that we had an opportunity to win.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Versus Brand, Battier, Maggette, Langdon and Avery.

The 1999 Duke squad was absolutely stacked. They were clearly the second best team in the country that year.

Agree though that Laettner, Hurley and Hill are three all-time college greats, but the 1999 was loaded as well. I love remembering how the championship game was thought to be a coronation instead of a contest. Well, we may have shocked the world, but we didn't shock UConn nation. I always felt that we had an opportunity to win.
To add on to this, and to our many championship distinctions, I believe the 1999 team still has the record for overcoming the most points in the spread against the underdog. Despite only losing a couple games with crucial starters injured, plus being #1 in the polls for many weeks, the “coronation” of the stacked NBA talent on the Duke ‘99 team made them go down in history as the most heavily favored team to ever lose a championship game. Such pure joy for UConn fans that year.

Reaction Score
I had the same caddy down there a few weeks ago. He was a real fan too. Felt great when we all showed up with our UConn gear.

Reaction Score
The ‘91 team had 7 losses so it ain’t them. ‘92 maybe best but the ‘99 team also only had 2 losses and went undefeated in the ACC. I might take Battier, Brand, Langdon, and Maggette over Laettner, Hurley and Hill. If ‘99 doesn’t have to face us they finish as 1 loss champs and the strongest claim for best Duke team ever.

Reaction Score
The national narrative continues to be that the result of the game was a fluke. Going into that game, our advantages in terms of our backcourt (1-3) and also our front court depth were discounted amongst ‘knowlegeable’ college basketball fans. The 1999 team doesn’t get its due in national conversations as an all-time great team.

Reaction Score
The national narrative continues to be that the result of the game was a fluke. Going into that game, our advantages in terms of our backcourt (1-3) and also our front court depth were discounted amongst ‘knowlegeable’ college basketball fans. The 1999 team doesn’t get its due in national conversations as an all-time great team.
fortunately coaching is part of a team....and uconn had a solid advantage there that night.

Reaction Score
99 Duke was their greatest team ever. Winning a chip sure helps to validate things to the consensus. UNLV best team never won a chip either.

What made 99 Duke so tough was Elton Brand was a Shaq like presence that was so tough to guard down low, much like Edey.

And of course Uconn 99 was an all-time great team, you don't have 2 losses in a year by accident. Calhoun is a better GameDay coach than K.

Reaction Score
Billy Packer says it early in the first half about UConn felt like they were more confident they could handle Duke than Duke was it could handle UConn. And I think it was Nantz who talked about everybody outside of CT was thinking it was just a coronation for Duke.

Also, Calhoun just outcoached Coach K and he pushed all the right buttons. The team responded. Ricky Moore gets mentioned a lot and while RIP was MOP, and did what he had done all year, a lot of people forget El-Amin was in foul trouble and really did not have a good game.

Reaction Score
Billy Packer says it early in the first half about UConn felt like they were more confident they could handle Duke than Duke was it could handle UConn. And I think it was Nantz who talked about everybody outside of CT was thinking it was just a coronation for Duke.

Also, Calhoun just outcoached Coach K and he pushed all the right buttons. The team responded. Ricky Moore gets mentioned a lot and while RIP was MOP, and did what he had done all year, a lot of people forget El-Amin was in foul trouble and really did not have a good game.
Agreed coaching ended up being a huge advantage. I thought it was a wash going into the game to be honest. El Amin, while in foul trouble, got into the paint for a number of floaters whenever he wanted to. He was outstanding!

Reaction Score
Don't like the thread title, I don't even speak the word.

You should have said to the caddy, "careful there, don't trip."

Reaction Score
Agreed coaching ended up being a huge advantage. I thought it was a wash going into the game to be honest. El Amin, while in foul trouble, got into the paint for a number of floaters whenever he wanted to. He was outstanding!
El Amin was big down the stretch, but wasn't much of a factor until then. I think he finished with 10 or 12 points and had 6 turnovers. He was clutch that last 10 minutes though.

Reaction Score
Calhoun out coached coach k...the double team on Brand was the difference!!!

Reaction Score
Yup..The front court depth assembled on that squad allowed Calhoun to effectively bring that double team throughout the game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They never solved it. That's why when I hear something "Duke wins that game 8 out of 10 times" they can get bent. The only reason it was close was because the Alaskan Assassin shot out of his mind.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom