"Duds" Did That? | The Boneyard

"Duds" Did That?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"We're a lot of fun-loving people," Nurse said. "Coach might say we don't have personality, but we have great personalities. And when you go out and you make big plays, when you make and-ones like Gabby made off of Lou's crazy pass, those are just things that give you energy. It's exciting to see people be successful."

He may want to walk it back now. You know, Geno, his dud remark. Bothered me when he said it. Geno, you of all people, should not confuse seriousness of purpose (or mission) with lack of joy.

""When you play games like that, it's just pure fun and pure joy and excitement." They have a common purpose and joy in their shared success. Last year they were in the shade. Now they are in the sun. They'll make the shade now.

Quotes: UConn has fun matching win streak record

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He may want to walk it back now. You know, Geno, his dud remark. Bothered me when he said it. Geno, you of all people, should not confuse seriousness of purpose (or mission) with lack of joy.
He was talking about practice, when he first brought it up. Come on guys, get with it.

Reaction Score
Geno knows exactly what to say to motivate his players, and he is always toughest on his best players. It works. Who are we to argue otherwise?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I watched the whole of his answer when he used 'duds' and it has been blown out of proportion - he was speaking about how little emotional celebration the team shows, and the 'duds' was his poor choice of word for saying they don't have a lot of fireworks going when they win. Awkward but no 'walk back' needed.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
UConn vs USF 4.jpeg

Their lack of excitement is obvious and concerning.... :cool:

Reaction Score
I watched the whole of his answer when he used 'duds' and it has been blown out of proportion - he was speaking about how little emotional celebration the team shows, and the 'duds' was his poor choice of word for saying they don't have a lot of fireworks going when they win. Awkward but no 'walk back' needed.

Exactly right.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Hey, I'm just trying to have a little fun with it. There are duds and there are fire crackers.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This "duds" thing didn't bother me any more than the Stewie is "goofy" thing from a few year ago. These players are not duds far from it, business like is the word I would use. You know you are spoiled as a fan and as a coach when you worry about "how" your players celebrate victory. Every other coach in America is concerned about getting the team to put out enough effort so that victory can be celebrated. What did you want to see from these players after these big wins, backflips, storm the court, a long scream, were number 1 chant? Come to think of it, what is a "big win" when you have won the NC game once, twice, ... ?

Reaction Score
Geno knows exactly what to say to motivate his players, and he is always toughest on his best players. It works. Who are we to argue otherwise?
I think this is mostly right. I just don't think he knows "exactly." I think he's of the Tony Blair school of public speaking: never apologize, never explain.

Like all of us (except maybe Henry V at Agincourt), he struggles to get it as close to right as possible. And even IF Geno actually says exactly what he means, there are so many flaws in trying to 1. hear Geno correctly; 2. interpret Geno correctly; 3. understand events correctly; and 4. compare our understanding of Geno's intent to our understanding of the events. The CIA--with unlimited funds and trained experts--spent decades interpreting every nuance of Kremlim speech and action, and most of the time they got it dead wrong.

Geno's speech is like playing great basketball. It happens very fast and is always imperfect, and yet it is eternally fun to watch/listen to. We know great and effective, if imperfect basketball when we see it. We know Geno's speech is great and effective, if imperfect. Forget the objective analysis and go with your gut about Geno.

Because you know how we should judge the efficacy of Geno's speech? He's got a large and loving family and more friends than he can count. People who know him well trust him emotionally, whatever BS happens to come out of his mouth. And that's precisely why he's also been so incredibly successful recruiting and motivating great players.

he said it himself:
“Some things you just can’t really explain; you just have to enjoy it,” UConn Coach Geno Auriemma said. “We don’t set out to do these kinds of things. We don’t set out to set records, break records or keep track of records. We set out to play as hard as we can.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox