OT: - Dublin Husky Rescue | The Boneyard

OT: Dublin Husky Rescue

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'm in Ireland for a couple more days. I happened to see an article about the Dublin Husky Rescue this week and today I saw them collecting donations at the corner of Grafton Street and St Stephens Green. If you're interested in helping, they can be found on Facebook. I, of course, had my UConn hat on and told them about our school.
Slainte

Attachments

• 20180811_150922.jpg
    20180811_150922.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 52
Reaction Score
I am going to Dublin in the Spring, what are some of the "must see" sights?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Dublin Castle, and the Viking ruins under it. Kilmainham Gaol (jail). Book of Kells at Trinity (long lines at times). Temple Bar area pubs. Guinness. Teeling Distillery. Basically just do the open top on-off bus tour.

I love Ireland, but joining the EU has changed Dublin into a typical modern European city. It has lost some charm. I prefer the West of the country.

Reaction Score
The megalithic ruins, there are many. That is if this interests you. I love this sort of thing.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
When in Ireland ...

In 35 years of traveling there - probably 8-10 times total - the secret is balancing the Dublin (and maybe Belfast, Galway) with the rural and West. Plays in Dublin are a must imho. But the sights and people. Then ... Lisdoonvarna or some other small town pub will blow you away. Balance

The primary thing that has changed - and that's not any knock to the EU - the food is far better than the first few times I went. It's a global market and they have Indian, Chinese and edible things. Not just Guinness.

Reaction Score
When in Ireland ...

In 35 years of traveling there - probably 8-10 times total - the secret is balancing the Dublin (and maybe Belfast, Galway) with the rural and West. Plays in Dublin are a must imho. But the sights and people. Then ... Lisdoonvarna or some other small town pub will blow you away. Balance

The primary thing that has changed - and that's not any knock to the EU - the food is far better than the first few times I went. It's a global market and they have Indian, Chinese and edible things. Not just Guinness.

Walked by at least 3 burrito place between Trinity College and the Temple Bar with Grafton Street in between today.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
@Fairfield_1st if you have a car and time, the most interesting ancient site near Dublin is Newgrange. It's really the most "don't miss" site in the area for fans of that kind of thing. Newgrange | Built heritage | Brú na Bóinne | World Heritage | World Heritage Ireland Older than the pyramids in Egypt.
We went there the day we landed (10/3). I'm back home now. I'm always impressed at the ability of people from long ago to build things that align to solstices. How the H did they figure that out.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
I had observed that in almost all the places we went to eat they served garlic bread w/cheese. I also saw a lot of buffalo flavored items, but their definition of mild/hot is not in line with us. I'm assuming they have a lower tolerance for that heat. I ordered hot with no worries.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
When in Ireland ...

For me this is a downgrade. I don't really eat any of those ethnic foods, but enjoy well done Irish pub food. Now there is less of it. I'm not interested in eating Cambodian or Lebanese food anywhere really, but certainly not in Dublin.

Reaction Score
For me this is a downgrade. I don't really eat any of those ethnic foods, but enjoy well done Irish pub food. Now there is less of it. I'm not interested in eating Cambodian or Lebanese food anywhere really, but certainly not in Dublin.

And you dont have to, there's still plenty of irish pubs and food in ireland.

Reaction Score
Stopped at Conney's in Ballymahon today while tracking down some of my wife's relatives, very good with a nice Irish Red Ale.

Reaction Score

My first time there ... the breakfast in the B&B was the highlight. Anytime dinner was god awful. Particularly the fish with more bones than meat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom