DT Kevin Murphy Grad Transferring | The Boneyard

DT Kevin Murphy Grad Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's sad. Murphy was the first in his class to sign, the leader in getting others to join him and impressed HCVV enough that he travelled for road games by the end of his true frosh year, even though he redshirted. Unfortunately, when the coaches changed he went down the pecking order (and it's not like his play ever demanded more time).

Best of luck to the young man. I hope he goes somewhere he gets to play regularly next year.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I guess edsall feels pretty confident he his going to fill out this class. Murphy seems like he could be a one year bridge while others developed.

Best of luck to him!

Reaction Score
I think Edsall likes more athletic DTs. It would not surprise me if Pace 6'5" 260 lbs or Uguak 6'5" 270 lbs become DTs.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Seemed like a good kid who really loved football but frankly wasn't good enough to play at the FBS level.

Perhaps, but he did seem like more of an FBS-caliber player than others, including some who are sticking around for next year. It's not worth losing sleep over, but there could've been a place for a rotational player with strong leadership attributes on next year's roster.

Reaction Score
Murphy isn't going to win The Outland Trophy, but worst case scenario he's a 5th Year Senior with legit size and strength who can eat some snaps on an undermanned defense. Why the hell would you run someone off like this to try to chase under recruited Jucos, grad transfers or 2* freshmen? If Edsall was landing Ed Oliver or Nick Bosa sure make more room. This however couldn't be further from the case. He's landing undersized projects who need major time to develop. Seems beyond short sighted, however watching this season I'm no longer surprised by this level of inflexibility.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Murphy isn't going to win The Outland Trophy, but worst case scenario he's a 5th Year Senior with legit size and strength who can eat some snaps on an undermanned defense. Why the hell would you run someone off like this to try to chase under recruited Jucos, grad transfers or 2* freshmen? If Edsall was landing Ed Oliver or Nick Bosa sure make more room. This however couldn't be further from the case. He's landing undersized projects who need major time to develop. Seems beyond short sighted, however watching this season I'm no longer surprised by this level of inflexibility.
If you notice in his good bye message he posted, he thanks Diaco but not Edsall...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Murphy is a nice effort guy, but the difference for us in 2019 with and without Murphy will be zero. Zero difference. You can't do worse than what we did in 2019. Teams could have scored more, but let off the gas to be kind.

Edsall might have swung and missed on some new recruits last year. He will have to try again this cycle and dramatically improve his batting avg.

Need to move on when you realize someone's best wont be good enough.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sorry to see him go, he could have contributed ten or so effective snaps a game next year. It’s always good to have DL depth.

Reaction Score
If you notice in his good bye message he posted, he thanks Diaco but not Edsall...

Oh I caught that. It just seems so self defeating that this is likely the result of Edsall's unwillingness to engage a number of kids in the program because they weren't his guys. I get Murphy isn't a world beater, but this is the same team that supposedly couldn't run a 4 man front for lack of depth. He's a big body who could eat some snaps. There are 9 guys in the recruiting class and its almost December. Does Edsall think he's going to find a bunch of game ready FBS DL in the next few weeks? On the heels of a 1-11 season?

Reaction Score
Oh I caught that. It just seems so self defeating that this is likely the result of Edsall's unwillingness to engage a number of kids in the program because they weren't his guys. I get Murphy isn't a world beater, but this is the same team that supposedly couldn't run a 4 man front for lack of depth. He's a big body who could eat some snaps. There are 9 guys in the recruiting class and its almost December. Does Edsall think he's going to find a bunch of game ready FBS DL in the next few weeks? On the heels of a 1-11 season?

No issue with the other redshirt juniors leaving from a talent perspective but I am surprised Murphy is gone.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Why are we assuming that Edsall pushed him out? I’m sure there are guys who are happy that they can leave and grad transfer elsewhere and not lose every game lol

Reaction Score
Why are we assuming that Edsall pushed him out? I’m sure there are guys who are happy that they can leave and grad transfer elsewhere and not lose every game lol

Very true, as consistent losing is a bitter pill to swallow. That said the insinuation was drawn earlier in the thread based on Murphy not thanking Edsall in his letter. The high number of grad transfers on a team already facing lower scholarship numbers seems to corroborate the idea that there is a serious disconnect between the coaches and Diaco Era Players. Again this is nothing unheard of during a coaching transition, however it feels strange to not try to keep a player like Murphy in the fold who already possesses D1 size and experience when your defense is consistently gashed on a weekly basis.

crazyUCfan23

Reaction Score
The telling sign will be where he transfers to. If he, along with other grad transfers, transfers to a mid or low tier FCS school then Edsall will have some vindication in his assertion that they weren't FBS players. We'll see.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
The telling sign will be where he transfers to. If he, along with other grad transfers, transfers to a mid or low tier FCS school then Edsall will have some vindication in his assertion that they weren't FBS players. We'll see.

My guess is that he’ll go FCS. I think Tarbutt will find a home in FBS

Reaction Score

Massey rated UConn #200 overall and #258 defense. So, with only 130 FBS teams, looks like about 70 FCS teams are better than UConn overall and 128 HAVE BETTER DEFENSES. So the kid could transfer to the 127th best FCS defensive team and still be going to a better defense than UConn!

How long does HCRE2.0 get to "blame" them "other guys" for the state of "HIS" program.

Let's see all the game ready DL guys HCRE2.0 brings in to upgrade the team.

crazyUCfan23

Reaction Score
Massey rated UConn #200 overall and #258 defense. So, with only 130 FBS teams, looks like about 70 FCS teams are better than UConn overall and 128 HAVE BETTER DEFENSES. So the kid could transfer to the 127th best FCS defensive team and still be going to a better defense than UConn!

How long does HCRE2.0 get to "blame" them "other guys" for the state of "HIS" program.

hahaha Great point! This actually made me laugh.

Reaction Score

I think that provides plenty of opportunities.

And in case you missed today's presidential tweet...

Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 2.46.43 PM.png

So, I guess he can now safely say...Mission Accomplished?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom