Drummond to be benched, working on trade | The Boneyard

Drummond to be benched, working on trade

Reaction Score
That contract will be tough to trade considering what he provides, I could see teams waiting it out to see if he eventually hits the buyout market.

Reaction Score
That contract will be tough to trade considering what he provides, I could see teams waiting it out to see if he eventually hits the buyout market.
I assume it would be used more as an expiring.

Reaction Score
Not sure what it will take to land him. as a Knick fan, would Robinson and picks, plus another player get it done?

Reaction Score

It's unclear if he means obstacle as in other teams aren't willing to trade people who are valued at $23 million in exchange or if Cleveland doesn't want to take back the salary.

I assume the difficulty is finding the right partner to get to the salary amount without giving up a legitimate asset (half a year of Drummond isn't worth all that much in the grand scheme of things).

That's why it's likely he ends up getting traded for salary jetsam for a team looking to cut costs this summer that maybe also kinda wants to compete this year.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
coolaroni. prolly went down like this:
cleveland: 'u wanna stay, and help build our future?'
dre: 'no, im outta here. im tired of being on stinko teams. i'm too pretty for this mess.'
cleveland: 'ok, then we're done.'
dre: 'coolaroni, i'll just work on my snow-shoveling game while i wait. i'm from Connecticut ya know, where they shovel too, but unlike here, they're accustomed to winning. a lot.'

Reaction Score

Part of the espn+ article:​

Drummond's box-score stats don't translate to value​

On the surface, Drummond looks like one of the league's better centers. Any team acquiring him in a trade can put together an impressive press release, highlighting that Drummond is a two-time All-Star who has averaged 17.5 points and 15.1 rebounds since the start of the 2018-19 season. Over a three-season span since the ABA-NBA merger, only one other player has averaged better than 15 PPG and 15 RPG: Moses Malone, whose similar stretch from 1977-78 through 1980-81 included his first MVP season.

Dig deeper and it's clear that Drummond is compiling his prodigious box-score stats in a very different environment, particularly for centers. As I explained in a similar piece last season, Drummond's monstrous defensive rebound numbers don't always lead to his team excelling on the defensive glass because of his tendency to pursue rebounds instead of boxing out and allowing teammates to come down with boards.

That's happening again this season. As a team, Cleveland is 28th in the league in defensive rebound percentage. In fairness to Drummond, that's more about how much the team has struggled to secure rebounds with Allen and backup JaVale McGee on the court. But even with Drummond, the league's best defensive rebounder in percentage terms, the Cavaliers have been only average on the defensive glass.

Looking at context also takes the air out of Drummond's scoring numbers, which have been built on volume rather than efficiency. Not since 2013-14, his first season as a full-time starter, Drummond has posted a true shooting percentage better than league average. And that has come in the context of centers scoring more efficiently than ever thanks to the floor spacing provided by improved shooting.

The average center this season is making 58% of 2-point attempts, another mark Drummond hasn't reached since 2013-14. In that span, his best 2-point accuracy was 55% last season. Troublingly, that's down to 48% so far in 2020-21.

Reaction Score
Not sure what it will take to land him. as a Knick fan, would Robinson and picks, plus another player get it done?

Would love Drummond on the Knicks however the last thing the Knicks should do is be buyers especially a guy who will be hitting FA. The only exception I would make in trading picks for is Bradley Beal who’s has 2 years left in his deal after this year. Just stay the course this year as the chemistry is good year 1 of the Thibodeau era. Don’t blow your draft or FA capital this year.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
NYPost - Knicks have nothing to lose trading for Drummond.

Reaction Score
If he ends up on the Knicks, what do you do with the upcoming center Mitchell Robinson?

Reaction Score
Supposedly the Celtics are interested. They did just trade away their starting center and Thompson doesn't seem to be the answer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom