Drummond Scholarship Situation | The Boneyard

Drummond Scholarship Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm confused. I just read this on Gavin Keefe's twitter feed.

Gavin Keefe @GavinKeefe36m
Drummond is a non-scholarship player this year. He said that he declined teammate Michael Bradley's offer to give up his scholarship. #UConn

Gavin Keefe @GavinKeefe34m
Drummond on Bradley's offer: "He worked hard to get that scholarship. I'm not going to take something from somebody that's not mine." #UConn

This goes against everything we have heard. Interesting stuff, wonder how this works out.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I heard Kara Lawson mention the same thing during the Holy Cross broadcast. I thought she just screwed up. Apparently, Drummond really is paying his own way.

Reaction Score
During the HC game Dorris Burke said the exact same thing - said that Drummond was paying his own way. I thought she hadn't done her homework, which really didn't fit given that she definitely knows the team and players.

Interesting.

Makes me like the kid a whole SuperTanker more.

He's Mr. Character if you ask me - classy, kind, fun, and, very importantly, wise beyond his years.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
How can he do that? I thought he couldn't walk-on to a team that recruited him.

Reaction Score
I also thought Lawson screwed this up during the telecast. If its true that Drummond didn't use Bradley's scholarship a lot of people owe JC an apology.

Reaction Score
I also thought Lawson screwed this up during the telecast. If its true that Drummond didn't use Bradley's scholarship a lot of people owe JC an apology.

They wont. They will make up some other thing like Calhoun is paying his way or some other Stop.

Reaction Score
How can he do that? I thought he couldn't walk-on to a team that recruited him.
This was also my understanding of the rule. I definitely read that several places back when the scholarship situation was still being sorted out.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
Good move by Drummond, he's got lottery money coming his way soon. Looks like he got loans like the rest of us, but tuition isn't even that substantial since he's in-state.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Wait, what? What about those countless articles about "poor" Michael Bradley.

Is this really true and, if so, why didn't anyone know this?

Reaction Score
well he's probably on financial aid which most students at uconn and he's a Connecticut resident so tuition for him is like 10k

Reaction Score
Don Amore chimes in:

Roughly halfway through the fall semester, UConn’s compliance staff determined that it was within the rules for a recruited player to decline a scholarship and play as a walk-on. So the change was set in motion. Bradley was back on scholarship and Drummond officially became a walk-on.
“This was a complicated issue that took much of the semester to resolve,” said UConn spokesman Kyle Muncy. “Once it was, Andre felt it was time to share.”

Reaction Score
well he's probably on financial aid which most students at uconn and he's a Connecticut resident so tuition for him is like 10k
Yes and pretty soon that will be pocket change to him with the NBA contract he will get.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Don Amore chimes in:

Roughly halfway through the fall semester, UConn’s compliance staff determined that it was within the rules for a recruited player to decline a scholarship and play as a walk-on. So the change was set in motion. Bradley was back on scholarship and Drummond officially became a walk-on.
“This was a complicated issue that took much of the semester to resolve,” said UConn spokesman Kyle Muncy. “Once it was, Andre felt it was time to share.”

Wow ... that's really good stuff that will get no press.

Reaction Score
According to this tweet from the UConn MBB SID, a player who receives no aid from the school can be a walk-on, regardless of recruit status.

Reaction Score
Don Amore chimes in:

I'd say it's safe to say Drummond will go down is the best walk-on player at UConn ever.

Reaction Score
what was that twitter handle of that "journalist" with the lopsided hairdo who was going in on Calhoun for "taking away a scholarship of a foster kid"? he needs to be made aware of this and offer up an apology, as do the other clowns .

Reaction Score
If its true that Drummond didn't use Bradley's scholarship a lot of people owe JC an apology.

I don't think it's that people owe JC an apology — because it seems like if they hadn't gotten clearance from the NCAA that Bradley would have had to give up his scholarship — it's that people owe Drummond a lot of praise for what he did.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
this is great, f all the haters! he passed up a ship to any school(uk/unc etc) to walk on at uconn.

Reaction Score
Don Amore chimes in:

Good for both Bradley and Drummond. Compliance staff better be right though...

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Very classy move by Drummond! The more I hear about this kid the more I love him.

And Drummond is a good student as well...unfortunately, we will not be able to use his academics for our APR score.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Good for both Bradley and Drummond. Compliance staff better be right though...
Given our current situation with NCAA sanctions, there is no way they would allow this if they weren't 100% certain.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Does this mean there will be no more love for Bradley? I hope not because his original offer was a class act.

And it was followed up by another class move by Andre. Nice to know the team has these type of people in its fold.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Given our current situation with NCAA sanctions, there is no way they would allow this if they weren't 100% certain.
I agree. There has been a sea change in the direction of the university regarding compliance staffing and student development. There should be significantly less problems in the future.

Reaction Score
Not saying I was doubting Drummond's personality coming in to this year, but his well-protected superstar high school career/indecisiveness to go to college definitely made me question how he'd mesh with that great chemistry we already had. Many of thought his addition to the team would benefit us exclusively through talent and numbers, with the risk being role-clashing with returning stars.

But as it turns out, I don't think he could be fitting in any better with this team. I haven't seen any signs of ego whatsoever. This guy is really easy to root for and this story only cements that the playful Drummond we see on the court is just as good of a guy off it. Even if he might not have transitioned in as elite fashion as some hoped, he's a major part of this team and is starting to make some huge strides. Really glad to see a CT kid filling the complete role of a UConn star and fan-favorite so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom