Drummond delaying extension to give Pistons more cap flexibility | The Boneyard

Drummond delaying extension to give Pistons more cap flexibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13932244/andre-drummond-decides-not-extend-detroit-pistons

Drummond was a strong candidate to sign up to a five-year, $120 million maximum contract extension by the Nov. 2 deadline. But after consulting with the team, he will delay making any commitment until next July, when he will become an unrestricted free agent.

The move will allow the Pistons to enter free agency with nearly $13 million in additional salary-cap space next summer than if Drummond had signed a max contract extension now. It's a mechanism that will allow the Pistons to sign other players and then use their Bird rights to sign Drummond. Had Drummond agreed to the extension now, the Pistons would have to include the new salary on their books going into free agency.

"Every player says I'm all about winning," Van Gundy told reporters. "This guy is proving it." Drummond averaged 13.8 points and 13.5 rebounds last season. He has only missed one game in the past two seasons.

Good for him. Anything could happen this year so he's taking a bit of a risk here but he's showing how much of a team player he is.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Technically, the team takes a risk too though, right? He becomes an unrestricted free agent and could go anywhere.
True, but Detroit can pay him the most, I believe their initial offer was 5 years $120 million. I think Drummond assumes the greater risk here as he could get hurt between now and the proposed extension date but SVG seems like an honorable guy and they seem to have an understanding behind closed doors.

Happy for Drummond and it's always good when UConn players are shown to be good on AND off the court. Makes you appreciate stand up guys from our program when you see the bonehead prima donnas like Markieff Morris, Bledsoe and Tristan Thompson (oh god don't even get me started on this guy).

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree with the honorable thing, in terms of NBA business. Its not like he's been playing 10+ years, and furthermore I'm not sure how honorable team execs/owners are towards their players (i.e. property).

Couldn't he sign at his highest value, and then re-negotiate down if Detroit needs more cap money and he wants to 'invest' in his team?

Its not greed or selfishness (when young) its business.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree with the honorable thing, in terms of NBA business. Its not like he's been playing 10+ years, and furthermore I'm not sure how honorable team execs/owners are towards their players (i.e. property).

Couldn't he sign at his highest value, and then re-negotiate down if Detroit needs more cap money and he wants to 'invest' in his team?

Its not greed or selfishness (when young) its business.

NBA players can't renegotiate their contracts down or take a pay cut to create salary cap room, its not allowed in the CBA.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Detroit should buy him an insurance policy in case something happens this year.

Other than that, I like his dedication to team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom