Drummond and dunking? | The Boneyard

Drummond and dunking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe im looking too much into this but does anyone else find it somewhat of a negative that Drummonds points come mostly on dunks. I first noticed this during the exhibition vs AIC. Trust me im not complaining because ill take points any way we can get them. When Uconn starts to get into the Big East schedule and starts to go up against guys taller than 6-7 and 6-8 i dont think he will get as many easy looks as like he is now. In order to score more he will have to work harder getting to the basket.

Reaction Score
I agree that his offensive arsenal is rather raw at the moment, but his ability to dunk is second to none. Look at Dwight Howard, I don't think people will complain about his play, but with all of his points coming in a similar fashion to Drummond's, it's just frustrating knowing how much better the players can be.

Reaction Score
Ha. Five years ago everyone complained that Thabeet never dunked. Now you're complaining that Drummond only dunks.

Your point is valid that against better competition he'll have to work harder for his buckets; I just find the idea funny.

Reaction Score
You are seriously complaining about Drummond dunking too much? He is a bit raw but you can see the skills are there and he is getting better and better, I love that he dunks everything, he is pretty damn good on defense already rarely ever biting on pump fakes. He is going to posterize a lot of players this season.

Reaction Score
Maybe im looking too much into this but does anyone else find it somewhat of a negative that Drummonds points come mostly on dunks.

Yeah, I wish he would play more like Oriakhi and flip layups with no power or take a 6 foot turnaround that misses by two feet. Then get a pass near the rim and try to dribble for some reason and get it stolen.

Reaction Score
It's the "high percentage shot" - what's bad about that?

Reaction Score
Yeah, I wish he would play more like Oriakhi and flip layups with no power or take a 6 foot turnaround that misses by two feet. Then get a pass near the rim and try to dribble for some reason and get it stolen.

Was going to write the exact same thing! +1

caw

Reaction Score
Watch UK play with A. Davis, 90% of his points are dunks from alley-ops. I have no problem with this. I do however think Drummond needs to seriously work on his shot/post moves if he wants to be Shaq/Amare/Duncan in the NBA. Howard, he could be, with just dunking.

Reaction Score
i have no problem with it whatsoever. shaq made a hall of fame career out of doing the same thing and so is dwight howard.

Reaction Score
You are seriously complaining about Drummond dunking too much? He is a bit raw but you can see the skills are there and he is getting better and better, I love that he dunks everything, he is pretty damn good on defense already rarely ever biting on pump fakes. He is going to posterize a lot of players this season.
Ok i guess i should have worded it another way. But im pretty sure i said in my original post that i was NOT complaining and ill take points however they can get them. All im trying to say is going through the Big East, i dont think Drummond will be getting that many easy uncontested looks at the basket like he has been while going up against smaller teams.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He doesn't need a jump shot when we have 4 other scorers. He's there to clean up the garbage. Dunks and jump shots count the same

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
i have no problem with it whatsoever. shaq made a hall of fame career out of doing the same thing and so is dwight howard.
Was going to say this too. How long did it take for howard to get his hook shot and bank shot down?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I wish he'd stop blocking so many damn shots.

Reaction Score
Ok i guess i should have worded it another way. But im pretty sure i said in my original post that i was NOT complaining and ill take points however they can get them. All im trying to say is going through the Big East, i dont think Drummond will be getting that many easy uncontested looks at the basket like he has been while going up against smaller teams.

Well, yeah - it will only get tougher for Andre and everybody else once the Big East starts. But I think getting Andre in the "dunk everything" mindset is a good thing.

It's pretty clear that we're not running our offense through Drummond and rightfully so. He's going to score his points on putbacks, drive-and-dish scenarios, and maybe a couple of post-ups per game. Most of those result in dunks and there's nothing wrong with that.

Reaction Score
I think he doesn't dunk enough. He shows enough agility to get by his defender and power to the hole. I think even when the defender has good position on him, he should push it a bit (even if it results in an offensive foul). He pulled up once last night when he could have gotten to the rim and he put up an airball.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
His presence down low, itself, causes alot of attraction by opposing defenses. This opens things up a bit for our guards. Just imagine once he improves his free throw shooting, and is able to be more consistent scoring with his back to the basket.

Reaction Score
I thought this thread was to comment about how he hangs on the ring a little longer than necessary. He may get away with it at home but in a road game, it will be called and it may bite the team.

Reaction Score
Answer to original question: NO!!!!!

What's not to like about high percentage shots. I hope he gets 10 dunks a game. That would mean he's fighting hard for inside position and his teammates are finding him.

Also, keep in mind that he's horrible at the line. Any other shot he tries to take has a greater risk of not going in. His odds of getting and-1s when he's in the act of powering the ball through the hoop like a jack hammer is infinitely higher than any other shot he'd be attempting. One could make an argument that all he should be doing is dunking, or at least continue what he did last night where the dunk is his primary offense.

Now I'd like to see him develop other parts of his game as the season goes on, but when you have a 6-10 270 beast who can punish the rim, you play to his strengths.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I thought this thread was to comment about how he hangs on the ring a little longer than necessary. He may get away with it at home but in a road game, it will be called and it may bite the team.

Have had same exact thought. He's toeing that line a little too closely

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's a good thing. He's building his game from the inside out, just what he should be doing.

Reaction Score
I can see your point about hanging on the rim, that is a bit annoying, and might get him a tech later on, but with that said, i dont care how he scores..as long as when he gets the ball he does not turn it over, gets rebounds, and is in the right spot to block shots.

C

Chief00

I will respond in capital letters:

I LOVE ANDRE'S DUNKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I PARTICULARLY LOVE HIS AGGRESSIVE BRUTE POWER DUNKS!

I suggest if you don't like his dunks become a Soccer Mom.

Again, the one negative about winning NC's, is the next year you get front running fans who know nothing about the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom