Dr. Liu, Dr. Liu. Do you know Dr. Liu? | The Boneyard

Dr. Liu, Dr. Liu. Do you know Dr. Liu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Perhaps the largest collaborative research push by the Big Ten to date is the Big Ten Cancer Research Consortium. The CIC is helping organize this cancer research effort through its headquarters in Indianapolis. Indiana University is closely involved in helping aide the this project's administrative staff, given the university's forte of organizing large clinical trials across multiple hospital networks. *If you're a UConn fan, this about UConn, so keep reading.

NickyNewark: "I wonder what would have happened at RU w/o the B1G invite where CIC money will supposedly dwarf what comes from athletic's? Ive heard B1G afiliation helps academics MORE than the other way around? As Ive said im not a big follow the money guy...just curious..."

So, Nicky, as far as this project is concerned, how is the CIC/B1G affiliation helping Rutgers academically and monetarily? This relationship is helping Rutgers leverage its extensive network of hospitals and medical centers. Specifically, within the Big Ten Cancer Research Consortium, this means that each B1G university has exclusive access to one another's clinical trial research data (with the current exception of Maryland and Ohio State (a contractual issue)). The B1G universities in the Big Ten Cancer Research Consortium have over 30,000 new cancer patients each year. They're using this valuable resource as serious leverage with pharmaceutical companies. The B1G tells drug manufacturers, "If you give us substantial discounts on pharmaceuticals in our hospitals and research facilities, we will test your experimental medications within our Phase I & Phase II clinical trials, and allow you limited access to the results." Rutgers junior researchers/clinicians have greater opportunity to conduct better research, because they have better access to more extensive data than before. Greater access helps create higher turnaround, which helps generate more research grants. Oh, and Nicky, who's leading the research consortium?

Another advantage of the CIC is the Traveling Scholar Program. If the home university sees benefit in allowing a doctoral student, or a post-doctoral researcher, to travel to another CIC institution to take a course/conduct research, then that student is fast-tracked into doing so. So if one CIC school offers a course, or perhaps a different program within the same field, then it benefits that student academically by allowing the student to advance his/her career within the B1G system. Why is it important to keep them in the system? Because the B1G generates 15% of the PhDs within the U.S., and they want an ever increasing percentage of the total pie. More PhD's translates into more awards and more research dollars.

Now, for all you UConn fans out there, why did I highlight the aforementioned text? What's UConn's research spécialité going forward? C'mon, I know you all read Creating Our Future: UConn's Path to Excellence cover to cover! There it is on p. 24, in all its black-and-white splendor--Genetic, Genomics, and Personalized Medicine!!

"Genetics, genomics, and personalized medicine are some of the greatest emerging strengths at UConn and have the opportunity to achieve preeminence and international recognition. Much of this work has begun with existing faculty through the new partnership with The Jackson Laboratory and the formation of the Institute for Systems Genomics. Strategic recruitments will be focused in the three main thematic areas of genome biology and evolution, personalized medicine, and stem cell genomics, as well as in the three cross-cutting areas: genome data analysis, interpretation and visualization; ethical, legal and social implications; and genome technology. Investments in a bioinformatics core and building the methods and resources for collecting biological specimens from patients for sequencing and analysis will catapult UConn upward as a leader in the field of genomics."

So, I'm going to say it here and now. I'm giving you the name of the man who's leading UConn's charge into the B1G. But first some quick facts about UConn's champion:
So, if you don't know Dr. Edison Liu, get to know him, get to LOVE him, because this visionary's efforts are going to be the reason why UConn gets an invite to the B1G, regardless of the university's current AAU status, and irrespective of the Huskies' 2014-201? football record.

I recently read an article about conference realignment ( can't remember the title) in which Jim Delany turns to his right-hand-man Ron Guenther (former AD at Illinois) and says,"Ron, go and find me more revenue for the conference." What better way to provide core mission-oriented, sustainable revenue to the B1G than by integrating a university into the B1G/CIC that has one of the few world-class Genomic Institutions in the entire world. United for Medical Research has valued genomic medicine as a trillion dollar industry. The Battelle Report explains just how valuable this industry potentially is. Speaking of potential, did you know that UConn's genomic medicine-based grant revenue could have a year-over-year increase by as much as 1500% by the end of 2014?

In the final analysis, how hard will Jim Delany have to sell UConn to Northwestern's President Mort Shapiro? When Mr. Shapiro consults with Dr. Steven Rosen and asks him whether UConn is an acceptable, shovel-ready addition to Dr. Rosen's baby, The Big Ten Cancer Research Consortium, what will Dr. Rosen say? When Indiana University President McRobbie asks Dr. Pat Loehrer from the Hoosier Cancer Research Network (formerly Hoosier Oncology Group) whether or not UConn's Genomics and Personalized Medicine program are going to contribute to the B1G's junior scientists doing more clinical trials sooner, what do you think the answer is going to be? The B1G Presidents are going to look at scientists like UConn's Marc Lelande, and they'll take a hard look at UConn's faculty, and they'll acknowledge, that yes, integrating UConn into the B1G will add exponential benefits to the B1G's research portfolio, as did acquiring the combined might of Rutgers' UMDMJ merger. They'll realize that having a world renowned Genomics Institute to which the CIC institutions will have the option of sending their respective PhD candidates through the Traveling Scholars Program will reap enormous benefits. Even UConn's own Dr. Edison Liu will have a self-satisfied look on his face when he remembers that the B1G will be building those OmniPop fiber optic cables all the way from Chicago to Storrs and Farmington so he'll have the luxury of sending all that Big Data to the Blue Waters Supercomputer without having to leave the comfort of his own office. And finally, once and for all, we'll all come to accept the true nature of the relationship between Rutgers and UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Perhaps the largest collaborative research push by the Big Ten to date is the Big Ten Cancer Research Consortium. The CIC is helping organize this cancer research effort through its headquarters in Indianapolis. Indiana University is closely involved in helping aide the this project's administrative staff, given the university's forte of organizing large clinical trials across multiple hospital networks. *If you're a UConn fan, this about UConn, so keep reading.

NickyNewark: "I wonder what would have happened at RU w/o the B1G invite where CIC money will supposedly dwarf what comes from athletic's? Ive heard B1G afiliation helps academics MORE than the other way around? As Ive said im not a big follow the money guy...just curious..."

So, Nicky, as far as this project is concerned, how is the CIC/B1G affiliation helping Rutgers academically and monetarily? This relationship is helping Rutgers leverage its extensive network of hospitals and medical centers. Specifically, within the Big Ten Cancer Research Consortium, this means that each B1G university has exclusive access to one another's clinical trial research data (with the current exception of Maryland and Ohio State (a contractual issue)). The B1G universities in the Big Ten Cancer Research Consortium have over 30,000 new cancer patients each year. They're using this valuable resource as serious leverage with pharmaceutical companies. The B1G tells drug manufacturers, "If you give us substantial discounts on pharmaceuticals in our hospitals and research facilities, we will test your experimental medications within our Phase I & Phase II clinical trials, and allow you limited access to the results." Rutgers junior researchers/clinicians have greater opportunity to conduct better research, because they have better access to more extensive data than before. Greater access helps create higher turnaround, which helps generate more research grants. Oh, and Nicky, who's leading the research consortium?

Another advantage of the CIC is the Traveling Scholar Program. If the home university sees benefit in allowing a doctoral student, or a post-doctoral researcher, to travel to another CIC institution to take a course/conduct research, then that student is fast-tracked into doing so. So if one CIC school offers a course, or perhaps a different program within the same field, then it benefits that student academically by allowing the student to advance his/her career within the B1G system. Why is it important to keep them in the system? Because the B1G generates 15% of the PhDs within the U.S., and they want an ever increasing percentage of the total pie. More PhD's translates into more awards and more research dollars.

Now, for all you UConn fans out there, why did I highlight the aforementioned text? What's UConn's research spécialité going forward? C'mon, I know you all read Creating Our Future: UConn's Path to Excellence cover to cover! There it is on p. 24, in all its black-and-white splendor--Genetic, Genomics, and Personalized Medicine!!

"Genetics, genomics, and personalized medicine are some of the greatest emerging strengths at UConn and have the opportunity to achieve preeminence and international recognition. Much of this work has begun with existing faculty through the new partnership with The Jackson Laboratory and the formation of the Institute for Systems Genomics. Strategic recruitments will be focused in the three main thematic areas of genome biology and evolution, personalized medicine, and stem cell genomics, as well as in the three cross-cutting areas: genome data analysis, interpretation and visualization; ethical, legal and social implications; and genome technology. Investments in a bioinformatics core and building the methods and resources for collecting biological specimens from patients for sequencing and analysis will catapult UConn upward as a leader in the field of genomics."

So, I'm going to say it here and now. I'm giving you the name of the man who's leading UConn's charge into the B1G. But first some quick facts about UConn's champion:
So, if you don't know Dr. Edison Liu, get to know him, get to LOVE him, because this visionary's efforts are going to be the reason why UConn gets an invite to the B1G, regardless of the university's current AAU status, and irrespective of the Huskies' 2014-201? football record.

I recently read an article about conference realignment ( can't remember the title) in which Jim Delany turns to his right-hand-man Ron Guenther (former AD at Illinois) and says,"Ron, go and find me more revenue for the conference." What better way to provide core mission-oriented, sustainable revenue to the B1G than by integrating a university into the B1G/CIC that has one of the few world-class Genomic Institutions in the entire world. United for Medical Research has valued genomic medicine as a trillion dollar industry. The Battelle Report explains just how valuable this industry potentially is. Speaking of potential, did you know that UConn's genomic medicine-based grant revenue could have a year-over-year increase by as much as 1500% by the end of 2014?

In the final analysis, how hard will Jim Delany have to sell UConn to Northwestern's President Mort Shapiro? When Mr. Shapiro consults with Dr. Steven Rosen and asks him whether UConn is an acceptable, shovel-ready addition to Dr. Rosen's baby, The Big Ten Cancer Research Consortium, what will Dr. Rosen say? When Indiana University President McRobbie asks Dr. Pat Loehrer from the Hoosier Cancer Research Network (formerly Hoosier Oncology Group) whether or not UConn's Genomics and Personalized Medicine program are going to contribute to the B1G's junior scientists doing more clinical trials sooner, what do you think the answer is going to be? The B1G Presidents are going to look at scientists like UConn's Marc Lelande, and they'll take a hard look at UConn's faculty, and they'll acknowledge, that yes, integrating UConn into the B1G will add exponential benefits to the B1G's research portfolio, as did acquiring the combined might of Rutgers' UMDMJ merger. They'll realize that having a world renowned Genomics Institute to which the CIC institutions will have the option of sending their respective PhD candidates through the Traveling Scholars Program will reap enormous benefits. Even UConn's own Dr. Edison Liu will have a self-satisfied look on his face when he remembers that the B1G will be building those OmniPop fiber optic cables all the way from Chicago to Storrs and Farmington so he'll have the luxury of sending all that Big Data to the Blue Waters Supercomputer without having to leave the comfort of his own office. And finally, once and for all, we'll all come to accept the true nature of the relationship between Rutgers and UConn.
Now thats the kind of answer I hoped for but never expected RappingRodney. Thanks for all this information. Im a little surprised how little most of us knew about CIC but growing up near Hoffman-LaRoche and having worked their as a research asisstant as a young man I figured 5M for the whole B1G was a light number in such an important and lucrative industry where NJ/NY/Conn are heavyweights with all the chemical and medical industries here! I'm more confident than ever that UConn to the B1G is inevitable. The B1G is much more than just a sports conference.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I liked it better when the Dr Lou who mattered to me in sports hung out with Cyndi Lauper and had rubberbands in his beard.

Reaction Score
Woke up too early & saw the title of this thread. Thought Rodney was channeling his inner Steely Dan with Dr. Woo...
Then I actually read it & like his hypothesis.

Reaction Score
This is an excellent post! As successful as UCONN has been with athletics, we forget how rapidly it has advanced on the academic side. The B1G needs to be in New England.

Reaction Score
Woke up too early & saw the title of this thread. Thought Rodney was channeling his inner Steely Dan with Dr. Woo...
Then I actually read it & like his hypothesis.

Ha! Thought the same thing. Do you hear me Dr. Liu! Rappin'...great post!

Reaction Score
Now thats the kind of answer I hoped for but never expected RappingRodney. Thanks for all this information. Im a little surprised how little most of us knew about CIC but growing up near Hoffman-LaRoche and having worked their as a research asisstant as a young man I figured 5M for the whole B1G was a light number in such an important and lucrative industry where NJ/NY/Conn are heavyweights with all the chemical and medical industries here! I'm more confident than ever that UConn to the B1G is inevitable. The B1G is much more than just a sports conference.

It's still $5m.

I have been on this board saying for years that the benefit was benchmarking and sharing information. But your post was about how lucrative it all was.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
So, it's a promise to collaborate, but in academia it's usually every man for himself, so those promises rarely amount to anything; except in this case they are attempting to make the collaboration beneficial for the institutions by organizing a cartel vis-a-vis the pharmaceutical companies. I wonder where they got the idea to organize an athletic cartel?

Reaction Score
Post of the year, Rodney. Many thanks. Any idea how Dr. Liu got his first name? Any connection to Thomas Edison? Any chance UConn can partner with Wisconsin to leverage a relationship with GE, headquartered in Connecticut and with a large medical business in Milwaukee, that has been attacking some of the issues you've brought up (e.g. personalized care and medical records keeping).

Reaction Score
So, it's a promise to collaborate, but in academia it's usually every man for himself, so those promises rarely amount to anything; except in this case they are attempting to make the collaboration beneficial for the institutions by organizing a cartel vis-a-vis the pharmaceutical companies. I wonder where they got the idea to organize an athletic cartel?
Barter, drug discounts in return for assisting in getting the drug approved, doesn't constitute a cartel in my opinion. I'm not a lawyer so I could be wrong.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I liked it better when the Dr Lou who mattered to me in sports hung out with Cyndi Lauper and had rubberbands in his beard.

Wasn't that Captain Lou Albano?

Also....I hate that when I hear "Dr Lou" I think of that annoying ESPN Lou Holtz segment...

Reaction Score

Also....I hate that when I hear "Dr Lou" I think of that annoying ESPN Lou Holtz segment...
Yeah and Mark May doubles the annoyance! 2 know it all's. They actually think their cute!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Yeah I got Dr Lou and Captain Lou crossed up. CR rots your brain.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

OUTSTANDING post Rodney! After reading UCONN's Path to Excellence, one thing became quite clear: I probably wouldn't get into UCONN today if I applied. Good thing I enrolled when I did!

Reaction Score
The UConn Health Center would become a destination for health care as desirable as Yale. I go to Yale, personally, and will likely stick with them till I expire. Yale is that good.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
After reading UCONN's Path to Excellence, one thing became quite clear: I probably wouldn't get into UCONN today if I applied. Good thing I enrolled when I did!

I can absolutely guarantee I wouldn't.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
With all the doom and gloom on the CR forum, of which I'm starting to buy into, this is a ray of hope. It's a great post due to the rare uplifting theme.
Rodney, please print and send your message to the following 2 addresses. If you could put it on dual championship letterhead that would be a nice exclamation point.

James E. Delany, Commissioner
5440 Park Place
Rosemont, IL 60018

James E. Delany, Commissioner
900 3rd Ave
New York, NY 10022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors