Doyle on Katie Lou's Bench Time and a Sleepwalker | The Boneyard

Doyle on Katie Lou's Bench Time and a Sleepwalker

Reaction Score
UConn Notebook: Katie Lou Samuelson Watching And Learning From The Bench

Katie Lou trying to put a good face on it. Megan acting like a freshman; imagine.

Feel bad for Lou. Interesting how in this article and also during one of the recent games an announcer said Geno referred to Lou as the best all around player. You can learn a lot when you are watching from the bench, removed the game. I like that she is trying to improve her game even through this stint. I think if she can keep improving on defense and hit the glass a bit more she can definitely be in that conversation. The three things I miss her not being on the floor (ironically none have to do with her scoring) is her inbounding the ball, her under-rated ball handing and passing. Hope she gets back soon even though it is great to see others get more minutes to develop and work with the other starters.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Feel bad for Lou. Interesting how in this article and also during one of the recent games an announcer said Geno referred to Lou as the best all around player. You can learn a lot when you are watching from the bench, removed the game. I like that she is trying to improve her game even through this stint. I think if she can keep improving on defense and hit the glass a bit more she can definitely be in that conversation. The three things I miss her not being on the floor (ironically none have to do with her scoring) is her inbounding the ball, her under-rated ball handing and passing. Hope she gets back soon even though it is great to see others get more minutes to develop and work with the other starters.

She is doing a lot more this year and she has matured tremendously. May the foot respond well and give her back to us on the active roster ASAP.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno said she was “sleepwalking the first 15 minutes she was out there.” How many freshman even get to stay out there 15 minutes if he thinks they’re sleepwalking?

I'm sure Geno was hoping the sleeper would awaken and he did not want to crush her with a quick yank and could afford some patience.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The three things I miss her not being on the floor (ironically none have to do with her scoring) is her inbounding the ball, her under-rated ball handing and passing. Hope she gets back soon even though it is great to see others get more minutes to develop and work with the other starters.
Good points. Evidently they teach passing well at Mater Dei. [Actually, I think it's innate in her case and Kaleena's.]

Reaction Score
UConn Notebook: Katie Lou Samuelson Watching And Learning From The Bench

Katie Lou trying to put a good face on it.

Megan acting like a freshman; imagine.
What interested me is what she didn't say about her injury. She stopped short; only saying "it's a Bummer". Yes you can see SOME things while on the bench and your mental game can be evaluated, that's true. My assumption is that, with instructions, you learn the game playing. Practice prepares you for games, but rarely can provide full preparation.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Geno was hoping the sleeper would awaken and he did not want to crush her with a quick yank and could afford some patience.
Megan and AEH--in a certain win, earned the slack in the collar leash. It is not the RANK of players, it's the proven abilities, both Megan and AEH in HS and recently have shown the certain potential of things to come and Geno is massaging that. No preferences here, just belief.
Geno has seen something or he is rewarding hard works and great practices with Molly, then too he has to build her confidence if he is to get the true Molly to emerge.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Lou on the bench has had another effect. Geno has often mentioned how nice and laid back Z is and how he perhaps hesitates to shout at her. But no matter how nice she is off court, Z has shown a heck of a lot of snarl in the low post on offense, on defense and in general. It's an aggressiveness as a rim protector, in rebounding (especially on the offensive boards), in using her power dribble, and finishing at the rim we never got to see when she was at Duke. When she goes for a rebound Z sells out. When she goes to the rim Z sells out. When she's on the floor Z sells out. It's an aggressiveness that I frankly didn't know she was capable of. We knew she was athletic, had good ball handling skills, had speed and a nice shot. Z is being coached up before our eyes guys, and this beast mode Z will bode well against the A'ja Wilson's of the world, nonetheless come draft time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lou on the bench has had another effect. Geno has often mentioned how nice and laid back Z is and how he perhaps hesitates to shout at her. But no matter how nice she is off court, Z has shown a heck of a lot of snarl in the low post on offense, on defense and in general. It's an aggressiveness as a rim protector, in rebounding (especially on the offensive boards), in using her power dribble, and finishing at the rim we never got to see when she was at Duke. When she goes for a rebound Z sells out. When she goes to the rim Z sells out. When she's on the floor Z sells out. It's an aggressiveness that I frankly didn't know she was capable of. We knew she was athletic, had good ball handling skills, had speed and a nice shot. Z is being coached up before our eyes guys, and this beast mode Z will bode well against the A'ja Wilson's of the world, nonetheless come draft time.
I like watching Z in “snarl mode.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom