Doyell now after Boeheim | The Boneyard

Doyell now after Boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
He goes after him big time, and raises a point that not a lot of people are really talking about in regards to JB: Doyel's point is that when JB so vehemently attacks an accuser, it prevents any other potential victims from coming forward. I think that's a fair argument

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Thought that said Donyell. Lead to much confusion.
Screwed up the Doyel's name in title, sorry but can't edit it.

Reaction Score
This is the argument that will get the most hits, and therefore the side of the argument Doyel will always take.

Reaction Score
I don't know the right side on this issue, and I'm not sure there is one.

Can easily see and understand someone making those comments when you're talking about someone you've known so long, who had apparently been cleared to Boeheim's knowledge, and this coming at a coincidental time on the media news cycle. Can also see Doyel's side, though he is an @sshat. Kinda ridiculous to paint anyone who doesn't agree with him as someone who doesn't care about kids, however.

Reaction Score
He goes after him big time, and raises a point that not a lot of people are really talking about in regards to JB: Doyel's point is that when JB so vehemently attacks an accuser, it prevents any other potential victims from coming forward. I think that's a fair argument

I think that's the only thing people were talking about when Boeheim made those comments. Other than that, his comments were understandable.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Doyel has spent his career building straw men.

His byline pic makes me giggle. I want to put a pointy red hat and use him as a garden gnome.

Reaction Score
Typical Doyel. I like the guy's columns though - especially his hate mail section.

Reaction Score
I thought the same thing about these comments when they were said.

I was thinking, 'man, Boeheim better be right cuz these are some damning statements.'

Termination in my opinion, should be considered.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with that column. I found it totally reasonable.

Reaction Score
If it were the same situation at UConn, would you want Calhoun to be fired?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No I wouldn't and I don't want JB fired either. But unfortunately I think it will happen and not because of the comments Doyel is referring to but the comments Davis made that JB observed Fine and Davis in a hotel room in a questionable situation. These comments were not given credence when Davis first made the story public ten days ago. I'm not sure JB can deny them any longer.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
No I wouldn't and I don't want JB fired either. But unfortunately I think it will happen and not because of the comments Doyel is referring to but the comments Davis made that JB observed Fine and Davis in a hotel room in a questionable situation. These comments were not given credence when Davis first made the story public ten days ago. I'm not sure JB can deny them any longer.

It's an interesting question and I think the answer would be "no" for most fans of a program whose coach is in similar circumstances ... but ultimately I think there is now some level of justification if it were to happen.

Reaction Score

I'd be waiting for more information. I was in favor of firing Paterno but even there I think people should wait for more info. A lot more people are involved than the coaches.

Reaction Score
The irony is that cuse fans are trying to deflect blame onto ESPN when it was their own graduates at ESPN that sat on this to protect Boeheim and the program.

Reaction Score
There is just so much blame to go around....

That having been said, I would like to open up ESPN for their just due in terms of "What did they know and when did they know it?"

A "news" organization was sitting on that tape for 9 years?

I wouldn't jump on this bandwagon right now.

ESPN is going to come out smelling like a rose when it's revealed that the DA and SPD knew what was going on way back in 2003.

Some of Davis's claims were bizarre and weird, such as that when he called up the investigator, the investigator already knew he was talking about Fine. Apparently, Davis's friend (the current manager of a big hotel right off Cuse's campus) had already called the authorities and alerted them. The answer they gave Davis when he called, KNOWING what he was calling about, went against protocol. You were not supposed to brush off such accusations because they were beyond the statute of limitations. The DA used this fact in an attempt to insulate himself, but now that the Feds are involved, the case is totally out of his control.

Reaction Score
To me, this is totally different from Paterno, in that as far as we know Boeheim was unaware of any verification and truly believes his friend in leiu of any evidence.

With that said, the termination could occur for the reasons that Doyel laid out. It did seem a bit rash and ridiculous that Beoheim attacker the accusers, the question that SU administration will have to consider is whether that mistake should be his downfall. I tend to think not.

What a weird, incestuous, strange, bizarre situation though.

Reaction Score
I think firing JB may ease the snooping around the university by the media. If there is anything more to hide, firing JB might help end the media interest. I would probably fire him or ask him to resign and cite his insensitive comments as the only reason, making it clear that they believe JB just did what he felt was right with the knowledge he had.

Further, I might clean house as far as bball goes simply because Hopkins isn't a proven commodity and he probably isn't worth keeping if it will perpetuate media interest in this story.

If I am Rutgers, I immediately put JB on speed dial.

Reaction Score
To me, this is totally different from Paterno, in that as far as we know Boeheim was unaware of any verification and truly believes his friend in leiu of any evidence.

With that said, the termination could occur for the reasons that Doyel laid out. It did seem a bit rash and ridiculous that Beoheim attacker the accusers, the question that SU administration will have to consider is whether that mistake should be his downfall. I tend to think not.

What a weird, incestuous, strange, bizarre situation though.

There's a lot to consider.

For one, Paterno fired Sandusky in 1998-1999. Second, the police and the state were alerted to Sandusky's actions. But they swept it under the rug.

There's a lot more to come out.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I wouldn't jump on this bandwagon right now.

ESPN is going to come out smelling like a rose when it's revealed that the DA and SPD knew what was going on way back in 2003.

Some of Davis's claims were bizarre and weird, such as that when he called up the investigator, the investigator already knew he was talking about Fine. Apparently, Davis's friend (the current manager of a big hotel right off Cuse's campus) had already called the authorities and alerted them. The answer they gave Davis when he called, KNOWING what he was calling about, went against protocol. You were not supposed to brush off such accusations because they were beyond the statute of limitations. The DA used this fact in an attempt to insulate himself, but now that the Feds are involved, the case is totally out of his control.

As I initially stated, there is plenty of blame to go around....and if the police, the DA, and the entire criminal justice system in that entire city/county/state is corrupt, that is a pretty big story. One that a news outlet might be interested in investigating.

It is by way of being their entire purpose in life.

For a news outlet (ESPN) to have sat on the "smoking gun" evidence (the tape) for 9 years....fundamentally supporting the criminal perpetrator(s) and the corrupt law enforcement bureaucracy.... Well, that is a pretty big story, too!

And I would hope that ESPN, for the above cited reasons, would NOT come off smelling like a rose....

They were an active part of the cover-up, for practical purposes.

Reaction Score
As I initially stated, there is plenty of blame to go around....and if the police, the DA, and the entire criminal justice system in that entire city/county/state is corrupt, that is a pretty big story. One that a news outlet might be interested in investigating.

It is by way of being their entire purpose in life.

For a news outlet (ESPN) to have sat on the "smoking gun" evidence (the tape) for 9 years....fundamentally supporting the criminal perpetrator(s) and the corrupt law enforcement bureaucracy.... Well, that is a pretty big story, too!

And I would hope that ESPN, for the above cited reasons, would NOT come off smelling like a rose....

They were an active part of the cover-up, for practical purposes.

The thing is, both ESPN and PS piggybacked on the current investigations. Any info reported came out AFTER these investigations included that info. ESPN held it back in the initial report last week. They only make it known AFTER law enforcement takes it up. Even the Tomaselli allegation has been known about ESPN for awhile. He said he talked to ESPN over the phone when the news broke. but it was only reported AFTER the Feds moved in on Fine's house after interviewing Tomaselli.

The type of stuff that's been held back by journalists over the years goes well beyond this. We know that. Wikileaks shows how prevalent this is.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I thought the same thing about these comments when they were said.

I was thinking, 'man, Boeheim better be right cuz these are some damning statements.'

Termination in my opinion, should be considered.

Unfortunately,
I think it is more than just statements that Coach Boeheim made.
He has been the #1 man in charge of the basketball program for well over 20 years.
Now you could say that perhaps he is a pretty sloppy leader and just an "aw shucks" kind of Coach and doesn't really know what is going on within his own program, but I think this is highly unlikely given how successful they have been over the years.
Now Coach Boeheim could say up until 2002 that he had no idea that any of this was going on. However, when the investigation was started, he clearly knew very well what Coach Fine has been accused of, but he chose not to believe it and even permitted to Coach Fine to continue to be in a position of authority over 17 and 18 year old basketball players as well as continue to be working around the current ball boys for an additional 9 years! So, it is clearly not a case of Coach Boeheim not knowing anything about this.
I find it very hard to believe, that Coach Boeheim would not have noticed that a 12-year-old ball boy was accompanying the team on road trips and staying with Coach Fine. This does not mean that he actually saw any of the abuse, but it does seem to show poor judgment that he allowed Coach fine to continue to serve in the same capacity after 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom