Downside for ACC | The Boneyard

Downside for ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So I'm ribbing a guy I know who's a Duke fan about how they got hosed by ND. He's now asking what the downside is for the ACC in this deal - other than the fact that the Domers are now attached to thier backs like a lamprey, what are some concrete negatives for the ACC?

Reaction Score
are you sure you don't want the positives? this argument would be alot easier

No, I need negatives (if there are any). He's trying to call me out that I don't have a case - that the ACC just slam-dunked it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ND can bump a more deserving team and steal a bowl spot.

The now have a conference member that has differing interests than the rest of the league. ACC football is not important to the Domers and they will be a 5th column in the ACC promoting their own agenda.

FSU is likely to be pissed that they are sharing their money with a partial. Special deals promote disharmony. The Domers are a cancer.

The Domers have Zero loyalty. They will leave the ACC to go to the Big 10 once they give up football independance, making the ACC look bad and as we know perception is reality in Big Time college football.

Reaction Score
No, I need negatives (if there are any). He's trying to call me out that I don't have a case - that the ACC just slam-dunked it.

1. ND takes ACC bowls.
2. Moves to B10 when it needs to join a conference
3. Creates unwieldy scheduling (7 games) if it does decide to join ACC
4. There's a reason 4 ACC schools voted against it

Reaction Score
Thanks guys - I know I won't miss them, no team annoyed me more just by showing up in our gym, annoyed the ever-lovin' out of me.

Reaction Score
The biggest negative? ND has their own seat at the table for the football playoffs and payoffs. Their interests are not aligned with the ACC and if it came down to exclude ND or the ACC, they would vote the ACC out.

Reaction Score
i misunderstood the questions...i thought we were pointing out negatives of the acc compared to where we stand...not negatives of nd's involvement in the acc. Makes alot more sense now.

Reaction Score
1. ND takes ACC bowls.
2. Moves to B10 when it needs to join a conference
3. Creates unwieldy scheduling (7 games) if it does decide to join ACC
4. There's a reason 4 ACC schools voted against it

Who voted against it? They're saying it was unaminous

Reaction Score

FSU, NC State, Clemson and one other. There are multiple threads here about that

Reaction Score
FSU, NC State, Clemson and one other. There are multiple threads here about that

the news isn't saying that. Are you sure you're not confusing it with the 50M exit fee vote?

Reaction Score

There was an unanimous vote to accept ND - it was not an unaimous vote on increasing the exit fee to $50m. Two separate votes.

Reaction Score
There was an unanimous vote to accept ND - it was not an unaimous vote on increasing the exit fee to $50m. Two separate votes.

People are reporting otherwise. That in committee, there were 4 anti-ND votes

Reaction Score
The "can take a bowl" argument is just flat out wrong. The next round of bowls will be negotiated knowing that the ACC will have to contract for ND as well as its members, and they will get better offers because the bowls can take ND once in a 4 year cycle.

The answer is, if you care about your credibility, you should just change the subject. Or, if you don't mind seeming Romneyesque, just keep arguing even where you got nothing.

Reaction Score
The "can take a bowl" argument is just flat out wrong. The next round of bowls will be negotiated knowing that the ACC will have to contract for ND as well as its members, and they will get better offers because the bowls can take ND once in a 4 year cycle.

The answer is, if you care about your credibility, you should just change the subject. Or, if you don't mind seeming Romneyesque, just keep arguing even where you got nothing.

Or be Obamaesque and call Fort Hood killings workplace violence or not answer what the capital of Israel is.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

BL this is just a college sports board, why the sanctimony?

ACC is already positioned ahead of us for bowls. I don't think that ND helps them in the same way that it helped us. As you frequently, and correctly, point out, the ACC teams have bigger followings and bigger TV #s. They are already attractive to bowls. I'm not sure the addition of an occasional ND helps them to bump the SEC or B!G to get better bowls.

In any event the bumping of ACC teams by a Notre Dame team that is within one win of them has been reported.

Oh and spare us the flawed political references. They don't advance your argument and as we see above, inevitably result in a tit for tat reply. Take that ...stuff...to the cesspool.

Reaction Score
For Duke there is not much negative. ND is better than the average ACC BB team. It may cause some scheduling challenges, but Duke and UNC won't have to worry about that (they will be taken care of).
The negative is on the FB side of things. Biggest being they may take a bowl game, but really, be honest, that isn't much of a concern for Duke FB now is it?

Reaction Score
What about the idea that as soon as ND fully attaches itself to its new host, it will begin slowly sapping the life out of the ACC. It sort of like how the ACC paid a dowry to this trophy wife that it can parade around to the other conferences but:
a) Certain suitor conferences know they are in a better position to make ND look their way.
b) Certain suitor conferences know the current marriage will never be "fully consumated".
c) The current conference will see how the relatives of the new wife (olympic sports) enjoy the added benefits of the union but then look at the extra boat load of cash the wifey won't share.

Yes, yes these are all easily disputed through technicalities and nuances so don't bother. I just had fun writing it!

Reaction Score

good old Maryland was the fourth from what I've heard. I think the exit fee is the biggest gripe, not so much the presence of ND

Reaction Score
For Duke there is not much negative. ND is better than the average ACC BB team. It may cause some scheduling challenges, but Duke and UNC won't have to worry about that (they will be taken care of).
The negative is on the FB side of things. Biggest being they may take a bowl game, but really, be honest, that isn't much of a concern for Duke FB now is it?

Its probably a big positive for Duke FB becasue now they can get a few wins when they play ND.

Reaction Score
good old Maryland was the fourth from what I've heard. I think the exit fee is the biggest gripe, not so much the presence of ND

Actually from the "reports" that everyone is referencing, it was Virginia Tech

Reaction Score
So I'm ribbing a guy I know who's a Duke fan about how they got hosed by ND. He's now asking what the downside is for the ACC in this deal - other than the fact that the Domers are now attached to thier backs like a lamprey, what are some concrete negatives for the ACC?

Sounds a lot like our media these days..say something you think the majority of the people believe without basing it on any facts. So, what's your opinion or do you not have one. If you can't think of a good reason why Notre dame to the acc is a negative yourself, i think that means you think it's a good deal..no?

Reaction Score
Or be Obamaesque and call Fort Hood killings workplace violence or not answer what the capital of Israel is.

Actually, to be Ronmeyesque would be to borrow against future TV payouts to buy the conference, outsource staff work to China, keep the bowl money as his fee, and then force the ACC into bankruptcy.

Reaction Score
miami fans.jpg

Here's a down side for joining the ACC... once a national power house and look at them today.
The University of Miami would like to thank all 300 people who came out today to support the Hurricanes.
This is how the stadium looked when the Hurricanes came out of the tunnel for Saturday's game against Bethune-Cookman. And it didn't get much better as the game went on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom