Downhill for Stewart from here? | The Boneyard

Downhill for Stewart from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the WNBA, is it all downhill from the draft?

ESPN has done a pretty thorough job of analyzing the WNBA from its inception to the present. The yearly question for the league seems to be about the impact the number one pick will have on the growth and prosperity of the women's professional game. Of course, this year it's Bre,

Will Stewart be able to elevate the WNBA to new heights, especially in light of the on-going questions of its relevance and sustainability? The ESPN article concludes that in the history of the women's game no single player has been able to do it. Not Dee, not Maya, not anyone. The corollary question is has Bre reached the apogee of the sport at UConn? And if she continues to grow to greatness as many of us expect, will it matter? It's something like the philosophical query: If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, did it make a sound?

I don't know the answer to any of these questions. Many ESPN readers reacted to the story by arguing that the WNBA will never become relevant because it is of generally poor quality. Others say that the game has improved greatly but not enough to draw much interest. Most WNBA arenas are empty, and players are poorly paid. Even some players have chosen to skip participating or based their playing on overseas commitments that pay much better.

I tend to agree with the fan who commented on the ESPN article by saying “The quality of play in the WNBA is great, I'm sure. I'm just likely not ever going to watch it unless I have a real rooting interest or something. “ I don't watch the WNBA games for that reason: I have no rooting interest in them. It's easy for me to care about America's national teams but only when they play as a group. I love the Huskies from long watching and an admiration for their high standards and sustained success. Sort of like a parent who adopts a child and comes to care as if it were his own.

Many of you enjoy the WNBA, and I thought I'd watch a little this year to see why. Trouble is, I don't really identify with a team, so I'm not avid to see any particular group. Watching Morgan and Moriah play against each other is not my cup of tea. I love them both and want them both to win.

For me, the former great UConn players now playing professionally will always be Huskies first. My memories of them will be with UConn printed on their unis.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
In the WNBA, is it all downhill from the draft?

Most WNBA arenas are empty, and players are poorly paid. Even some players have chosen to skip participating or based their playing on overseas commitments that pay much better.

Many of you enjoy the WNBA, and I thought I'd watch a little this year to see why. Trouble is, I don't really identify with a team, so I'm not avid to see any particular group. Watching Morgan and Moriah play against each other is not my cup of tea. I love them both and want them both to win.

WNBA average attendance last year was 7,318. The arenas aren't full but 7k isn't exactly "empty". And that's with Tulsa as lame ducks and San Antonio playing outside their normal arena. Sadly it has been trending down over the last few season - I'd love to see it in the 8-10k range. But some people have the idea that kids are playing in front of bigger crowds in college. Outside of the NCAA tourney and 5-6 schools, that's not true.

If you are a fan who enjoys the aesthetic element of UConn's play, I would suggest watching the Lynx. They have arguably the best coach, a core group that know each other well, and they share the ball. Chicago also plays an attractive style offensively. Phoenix is great but they key off the individual brilliance of Taurasi, Griner, and Bonner more than superior team play

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"For one night, Breanna Stewart is the toast of the sports world. And if history is any indicator, it is all downhill from here."

I reject that dramatic sentence. Stewie has the opportunity to make a big pile of money playing the game she loves, while attaining a status as an international super star athlete. Sure, it takes you away from friends and family for long stretches, but so do many careers.

Reaction Score
Tried to let myself become a fan of the WNBA during its early years but never really became a consistent follower. If a story popped up on the BY or in the media, and involved a former Husky, I'd certainly pay attention momentarily. But I always had the impression that it was a game of too many turnovers, sub-par shooting, and relatively low scores. And it seemed odd that it was a summer season, when baseball and other outdoor activities beckoned. Perhaps the main reason for my at-best casual interest was that I had just spent the winter watching smart, UConn college play. And the UConn rah-rah enthusiasm factor was also lacking.

Illogical ? Unfair ? Inaccurate ? To a degree almost certainly true.

But suddenly things seem different. To my surprise I've been looking at pre-season WNBA box scores. Have put WNBA on the iPad in favorites. Watching roster changes. Noting attendance figures. Reading press releases, watching video pieces, etc. And am genuinely interested in watching not only my Husky heroes but lots of other familiar players.

Anyone else having a similar experience ?

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes - I just subscribed to league pass for the first time. And have been frustrated that none of the preseason games were available on broadcast and that the WNBA site doesn't contain a tab for transactions - you have to search around on each team site to find the cuts and trades. Yup - suddenly I am interested, we will see if it lasts the whole season.

Reaction Score
Yes - I just subscribed to league pass for the first time. And have been frustrated that none of the preseason games were available on broadcast and that the WNBA site doesn't contain a tab for transactions - you have to search around on each team site to find the cuts and trades. Yup - suddenly I am interested, we will see if it lasts the whole season.
So....would you agree that something may be changing for this league ? Probably wrong to prognosticate based on a couple of personal anecdotes...but we are UConn people. And, in all modesty, the impact of UConn WBB across the sports landscape (not just college, not just women) is not to be underestimated- the best books about it have yet to be written. Might this incredible thing we've been part of for an entire generation turn out to be central to the coming of age of an entire professional league ? Thoughts ?

Reaction Score
WNBA average attendance last year was 7,318. The arenas aren't full but 7k isn't exactly "empty". And that's with Tulsa as lame ducks and San Antonio playing outside their normal arena. Sadly it has been trending down over the last few season - I'd love to see it in the 8-10k range. But some people have the idea that kids are playing in front of bigger crowds in college. Outside of the NCAA tourney and 5-6 schools, that's not true.

If you are a fan who enjoys the aesthetic element of UConn's play, I would suggest watching the Lynx. They have arguably the best coach, a core group that know each other well, and they share the ball. Chicago also plays an attractive style offensively. Phoenix is great but they key off the individual brilliance of Taurasi, Griner, and Bonner more than superior team play

I wasn't thinking of the pure numbers, O. You mentioned one of the points, which is that attendance is declining, heading in the wrong direction. Some of the others include the obvious ones about making enough money to remain viable and being able to pay decent salaries to players. You also suggest watching the best teams. Oddly, I used to do that when Bird was playing for Boston and Jordan for Chicago. I suppose it was because I loved the style of team play those old Celtics and Bulls epitomized--just as UConn does now. It's why I am a big fan of the US women's national soccer team and a former fan of US softball teams (before the Olympics dropped them). I also enjoy the national basketball team, even though their excellence is clearly killing the sport.

On a side note, I might add a bit of depth to the ESPN story by reflecting on an incident that occurred when my wife's family owned the Washington Mystics. As the article notes, Chamique Holdsclaw was the number one pick of the new franchise, but she had some problems that affected her performance. During this difficult time for her, we asked Pat Summitt for help. Surprisingly, Pat came up to DC in the summer and spent a lot of time hanging around for support. I am well aware of the antipathy of UConn fans for Pat, but I was and remain very impressed by the warmth and care she showed her former player.

Reaction Score
It will be hard for anything not to be downhill from Stewie's career at UCONN!

Reaction Score
. . . the WNBA site doesn't contain a tab for transactions - you have to search around on each team site to find the cuts and trades. . .

If you hover over the "Players" tab you will see a tab for Transactions. Likewise the "News" tab.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
For me certainly it is very specific to Uconn, and I have always kept an eye out for Maya and DT and Sue specifically in their summer jobs, but I think what is different this year us a saturation point with the three graduates - seeing Sue, Breanna, and KML on one team, watching how well Moriah transitions, seeing what Morgan can do with the Sun, and of course DT, Maya, Tina and Kiah. Added to a sort of lead in to the Olympics.

This being an Olympic year I wouldn't be surprised to see a bump in attendance, especially after they all come back.

Reaction Score
u
There is a tab for transactions it is under news. same tab is under players. I check it daily. that said it took me a long time to find it. I am a die hard Storm fan (so happy about the last 2 draft). I need to keep up with where are my beloved UConn players are so I stay up to date. Also league pass lets you watch highlights of any player in the game so I never miss an ex-UConn player's basket.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The WNBA is in a very competitive professional landscape & I'm not sure growth (+ attendance) is a realistic expectation in the short term. One of the most intriguing things I heard proposed is for the WNBA to go to a regional draft similar to what NBA had back in the day. Makes some sense, in that a player like Stewie from (Syracuse, NY) would end up on NY liberty or CT Sun and EDD would end up on Washington. So instead of trying to boost the fortunes of a franchise 2,000- 3,000 miles from where you grew up or played your college ball you would automatically bring some of your college and hometown fans.

Reaction Score
So would the region be from birthplace, parents' town, or college location? Those can all be quite different. Should KML be in the West region or the Northeast?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So would the region be from birthplace, parents' town, or college location? Those can all be quite different. Should KML be in the West region or the Northeast?
Could be either or both. Two basic questions. Where does the player call home? and/or. Where did the player play college ball? Designate a primary consideration for selection say it's home. If the team closest to you home decides to pass on you go to the secondary selection (college). If the team closest to your college also passes on you then you are basically a free agent (up for grabs). So a player like KML for example Sparks would get first dibs, Suns would be next. In either case I would suspect more people showing up to see KML in LA or CT vs. her being in Seattle. Jewell Loyd is another good example.

Reaction Score
Could be either or both. Two basic questions. Where does the player call home? and/or. Where did the player play college ball? Designate a primary consideration for selection say it's home. If the team closest to you home decides to pass on you go to the secondary selection (college). If the team closest to your college also passes on you then you are basically a free agent (up for grabs). So a player like KML for example Sparks would get first dibs, Suns would be next. In either case I would suspect more people showing up to see KML in LA or CT vs. her being in Seattle. Jewell Loyd is another good example.
It was territorial, according to High School so that Wilt ended up in Philadelphia, rather then be in the normal draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom