Down Voting (Anti-Like)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@temery

Hi Tom,

I've noticed lately if someone comes out with a significantly unpopular opinion, the next 10+ posts in the thread become a mob-like chastising of that person, often derail the conversation and turn into a pissing match for lack of a better term. I bet a sociology professor could spend hours trying to dissect the group think consequences when two or three critical posts start to stack up and everyone piles on.

I wonder if a down vote button does anything to quell that? Let people say their peace with a click instead of a lecture. It's less inviting for a defensive response. A perfect solution would be to attach a comment to your down vote so that the only way to see it would be to click on the vote itself (as a like appears). This way when people get up on their high horse it stays off to the side.

Does this site even have the functionality in any form? Would it do more harm than good? I'm not proud of it but I spend a lot of time on various CBB forums and this one certainly is the best user experience. If any site can be innovative in this area its probably this one.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
@temery

Hi Tom,

I've noticed lately if someone comes out with a significantly unpopular opinion, the next 10+ posts in the thread become a mob-like chastising of that person, often derail the conversation and turn into a pissing match for lack of a better term. I bet a sociology professor could spend hours trying to dissect the group think consequences when two or three critical posts start to stack up and everyone piles on.

I wonder if a down vote button does anything to quell that? Let people say their peace with a click instead of a lecture. It's less inviting for a defensive response. A perfect solution would be to attach a comment to your down vote so that the only way to see it would be to click on the vote itself (as a like appears). This way when people get up on their high horse it stays off to the side.

Does this site even have the functionality in any form? Would it do more harm than good? I'm not proud of it but I spend a lot of time on various CBB forums and this one certainly is the best user experience. If any site can be innovative in this area its probably this one.

I've been looking into a feature similar to reddit, or Amazon's five star system. I like the idea.

Last edited:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Any idea why the site asks me if I really want to like a post, than asks me to confirm?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Any idea why the site asks me if I really want to like a post, than asks me to confirm?

Nope. Happens to me once in a while too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom