Down to 18 for U17 | The Boneyard

Down to 18 for U17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nice that Andi and Lexi didn't make it. Preferred they did, but this will make them both work harder this year to prove themselves. Maybe a blessing in disguise.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Christyn Williams did make the cut to 18. As did Prince, Collier, Brunelle, DeCosta of the players that Uconn has shown interest in. Only three of the U16 team made the cut - perhaps throwing the baby out with the bath water?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think the big story is that Boston, Brunelle and Zoe Young made the cut. Clearly these are three talented young women.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Rellah Boothe made the Cut. She was the player that there was controversy about when she didn't make the U16 team. 14 of the 18 are in Recruiting classes 2018 or 2019. Looks like USA BB went towards a youth movement. Does it indicate that the 2018 class is significantly stronger then the 2017 class?

Reaction Score
Apparently those who made the cuts don't agree with the most recent ESPN rankings........all are younger all have lower rankings..........they must believe they have a higher upside for U17 team

Lexi Gordon ESPN 4 stars 94 score #3 position rank

Prohaska ESPN 3 stars 90 score #9 position rank
Mikesell ESPN 3 stars 90 score #5 position rank
Madison Williams ESPN 3 stars 90 score #5 position rank

Reaction Score
Rellah Boothe made the Cut. She was the player that there was controversy about when she didn't make the U16 team. 14 of the 18 are in Recruiting classes 2018 or 2019. Looks like USA BB went towards a youth movement. Does it indicate that the 2018 class is significantly stronger then the 2017 class?

Kenny Kallina ‏@KennyKallina 19h19 hours ago
Class of 2018 & 2019 not caring about being younger than the 17's really landing some punches on some name players play after play

Reaction Score
Christyn Williams did make the cut to 18. As did Prince, Collier, Brunelle, DeCosta of the players that Uconn has shown interest in. Only three of the U16 team made the cut - perhaps throwing the baby out with the bath water?

Love Lexi and AEH but Christyn Williams is one click above.............is she doesn't make final 12 I will be very surprised

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Some of the 2017 class are actually on the trial roster for the U18 team so that explains a bit of the 'youth' movement - something like 10 players. And I believe they said before the trials that U18 rejects who were eligible might be added back to the U17 team.

In terms of bigs, 2017 definitely is light compared to the 2018 and 2019 classes. Only three posts/forwards from 2017 and I didn't get the sense there were any 'controversial' cuts amongst the bigs.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Fuller's article on the situation also has this tidbit on Jade Williams:

Among the Texas players not to make the cut is Jade Williams, who drew some recruiting interest from UConn. When the Huskies were down in Texas to face SMU in January (the same trip when I saw Geno Auriemma and Chris Dailey at one of Lexi Gordon's games) and didn't make it to see Williams play I kind of figured she wasn't in the Huskies' plans moving forward. Williams confirmed that.

"They were looking at me heavily but I think they recruited some people so their interest fell off," Williams said. "It is not really UConn anymore."

The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: Only 3 from U-16 squad make the cut for U-17 team

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Some of the 2017 class are actually on the trial roster for the U18 team so that explains a bit of the 'youth' movement - something like 10 players. And I believe they said before the trials that U18 rejects who were eligible might be added back to the U17 team.

In terms of bigs, 2017 definitely is light compared to the 2018 and 2019 classes. Only three posts/forwards from 2017 and I didn't get the sense there were any 'controversial' cuts amongst the bigs.

How dare you walk up in here with facts... ;)

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
On another note: Brunelle has really been tearing it up out there in Colorado. She was always a known commodity to those that follow recruiting closely but she will leave Colorado with her name known by all before it's all said and done. Top 5 player in her class.. and she's only 16.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
On another note: Brunelle has really been tearing it up out there in Colorado. She was always a known commodity to those that follow recruiting closely but she will leave Colorado with her name known by all before it's all said and done. Top 5 player in her class.. and she's only 16.
Sam just finished her freshman year. I don't know her age, but she is likely 14 or 15.

Reaction Score
I'll just add one point that hasn't quite been fully expressed:

Incidentally, before even competing in London in 2012 , Tamika Catchings actually said publicly that London 2012 would be her final Olympic Games. Obviously she changed her mind. But frankly, that/this was/is actually very odd, when you review how that/this change of decision "played out."

1. She publicly assumed she would make the 2016 Olympic team, TWO YEARS PRIOR to when the games would even take place! Her (very formal) statement was essentially akin to announcing her PERSONAL DECISION to play for the Team USA (again, well in advance of when the team would even be assembled, as the actual competition was...two years later!).

She did NOT simply reveal that she PLANNED/HOPED to TRY OUT for the National Team. And she did not mention anything about her future performance needing to be good enough to qualify or to earn a spot. Nor did she say anything about whether or not her abilities would need to fill the actual needs of the squad based on the team as a whole (i.e. she did not take into consideration who her potential 11 other teammates might be).

2. She delivered this news while formally announcing her (eventual) retirement (and considering how far in the future that retirement date actually was, such an announcement seemed rather early). But what's more is that she packaged distant retirement timetable in correlation with her expectation of participating in the 2016 Olympics. I'm pretty she the two pieces of information were literally lumped into the same sentence! It was almost as if she was rebranding the National Team's 2016 drive for the gold medal in Rio less like an actual tournament but rather her farewell or going away party!

My impression: obviously Catchings is one of the most respected class acts of her era in women's basketball, so I'm definitely not trying to accuse her of being "greedy" and wanted to add more hardware to her trophy case or climb this list or that list.

I definitely think Tamika Catchings is one of the most competitive players around, and I mean that in a "run through a brick wall to get her team the victory" and not competitive in terms of personal records or accolades. But although her will to win is very much in a team-oriented fashion, I must admit I do think her love for competition and the rush of helping her teams to win might have got the best of her with this one.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Incidentally, before even competing in London in 2012 , Tamika Catchings actually said publicly that London 2012 would be her final Olympic Games. Obviously she changed her mind. But frankly, that/this was/is actually very odd, when you review how that/this change of decision "played out."

1. She publicly assumed she would make the 2016 Olympic team, TWO YEARS PRIOR to when the games would even take place! Her (very formal) statement was essentially akin to announcing her PERSONAL DECISION to play for the Team USA (again, well in advance of when the team would even be assembled, as the actual competition was...two years later!).

She did NOT simply reveal that she PLANNED/HOPED to TRY OUT for the National Team. And she did not mention anything about her future performance needing to be good enough to qualify or to earn a spot. Nor did she say anything about whether or not her abilities would need to fill the actual needs of the squad based on the team as a whole (i.e. she did not take into consideration who her potential 11 other teammates might be).

2. She delivered this news while formally announcing her (eventual) retirement (and considering how far in the future that retirement date actually was, such an announcement seemed rather early). But what's more is that she packaged distant retirement timetable in correlation with her expectation of participating in the 2016 Olympics. I'm pretty she the two pieces of information were literally lumped into the same sentence! It was almost as if she was rebranding the National Team's 2016 drive for the gold medal in Rio less like an actual tournament but rather her farewell or going away party!

My impression: obviously Catchings is one of the most respected class acts of her era in women's basketball, so I'm definitely not trying to accuse her of being "greedy" and wanted to add more hardware to her trophy case or climb this list or that list.

I definitely think Tamika Catchings is one of the most competitive players around, and I mean that in a "run through a brick wall to get her team the victory" and not competitive in terms of personal records or accolades. But although her will to win is very much in a team-oriented fashion, I must admit I do think her love for competition and the rush of helping her teams to win might have got the best of her with this one.
Great points and post, did you mean to place this in U17 team thread?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Wrong thread? :eek::)
I'll just add that what she did for the Indiana team last year was pretty brilliant - they had no 'right' to make it to the finals, but they did.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Apparently those who made the cuts don't agree with the most recent ESPN rankings...all are younger all have lower rankings.....they must believe they have a higher upside for U17 team

Lexi Gordon ESPN 4 stars 94 score #3 position rank

Prohaska ESPN 3 stars 90 score #9 position rank
Mikesell ESPN 3 stars 90 score #5 position rank
Madison Williams ESPN 3 stars 90 score #5 position rank

Taylor Mikesell paid her own way last year and made it to the final cuts, I believe. She paid her own way again this year. Prospects nation has her ranked #24 in the class of 2018.

Abby Prohaska is ranked #36 in the class of 2018 and her High School team was ranked in the ESPN Power25 throughout the season. She also made it to the final 40 players before being cut last year.

I'm not familiar with Madison Williams, but ProspectNation has her at #40.

(I'm not sure when ProspectNations last updated their rankings for the Class of 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom