Dorka Juhász impresses in her UConn debut | The Boneyard

Dorka Juhász impresses in her UConn debut

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Based on her performance, it’ll be difficult for Geno Auriemma to keep her out of the lineup. Juhász had the best day of any of the Huskies’ bigs with 15 points on 7-of-10 shooting and eight rebounds. While the numbers only mean so much against a Division II opponent, Juhász looked the part from the moment she stepped onto the floor.

Reaction Score
Even before Sunday, come late March, I thought that Dorka will play a lot. If she can hit her 3-point shot at the percentage she did one year at Ohio State (about 40% IIRC), then that is just another weapon we have. Not to bash Ono, but Dorka is our best big, especially when the biggest lights come on, which, as we know, is the only time that matters.

Reaction Score
The first time I ever saw Dorka, I was dazzled by the speed at which she reacts. From the time she gets the ball to the time she steps through toward the basket, is a mere heartbeat. Liv seems to be still studying the moves that Dorka makes instantly. Guess that's what Geno means when he says that Juhasz knows how to play. Ditto Paige.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The first time I ever saw Dorka, I was dazzled by the speed at which she reacts. From the time she gets the ball to the time she steps through toward the basket, is a mere heartbeat. Liv seems to be still studying the moves that Dorka makes instantly. Guess that's what Geno means when he says that Juhasz knows how to play. Ditto Paige.
Alot of this is instinct. Part god given, part hard work.

Reaction Score
Even before Sunday, come late March, I thought that Dorka will play a lot. If she can hit her 3-point shot at the percentage she did one year at Ohio State (about 40% IIRC), then that is just another weapon we have. Not to bash Ono, but Dorka is our best big, especially when the biggest lights come on, which, as we know, is the only time that matters.
Well, the 40% you remember was about what she shot from the foul line. She actually shot 20% from 3. Liv made more threes, and had a better percentage. Liv was the better shooter in all categories. Also, the better passer and shot blocker.

PvP

Reaction Score
Well, the 40% you remember was about what she shot from the foul line. She actually shot 20% from 3. Liv made more threes, and had a better percentage. Liv was the better shooter in all categories. Also, the better passer and shot blocker.
No, Uconn82 had it exactly right. Dorka in her sophomore year hit roughly 40% from behind the arc. And if Liv was the better shooter, etc., why was Dorka twice First Team All Big 10, while Liv has never been first team in either of the much weaker conferences that UConn participated in?

Reaction Score
I have not seen enough to make any across the board comparisons of Dorka's total game vs Liv's total game based on one game. However, I have watched videos of Dorka when she was at Ohio State and I've watched Liv play for the Huskies to date. I put this on this thread to avoid the toxic atmosphere of the "who should be starter" thread since that one seems to have become rather toxic.

I will say this. In my opinion, Liv is slow (almost mechanical - it's like you can see the wheels turning in her head) and deliberate when she makes an offensive move to the basket. This allows double, and sometimes triple teams to collapse on her making it very difficult to score against a front line with similar size. Fortunately she is a good passer and can make good thing happen if she has an open cutter to get the ball to.

Dorka looks much quicker making it more difficult to bring a double or triple team to defend against her scoring. This means that if the opposing team wants to double team her down low, they have to leave their man or place in the zone sooner which should result in someone being open to cut to the hoop or take an open shot. We have yet to see how Dorka will handle passing out of a double team if she is cut off from making her move to the basket when she goes up against players of similar size. That decision making will be critical to her success.

Certainly both players bring their talents to the table and I'm sure Geno has the experience and savvy to bring out the best in both of them to contribute to the success of the team.

Reaction Score
No, Uconn82 had it exactly right. Dorka in her sophomore year hit roughly 40% from behind the arc. And if Liv was the better shooter, etc., why was Dorka twice First Team All Big 10, while Liv has never been first team in either of the much weaker conferences that UConn participated in?
ok, but last season she was 12-59 from three, and 30-70 from the foul line. hope this is not a trend.

Reaction Score
Career numbers over three years:

Liv
Games - 100
Total pts - 876
Total 2pts - 360-640 720pts
Total 3pts - 4-22 12pts
FT% - 55.8 144pts

Dorka
Games - 75
Total pts - 975
Total 2pts - 312-579 624pts
Total 3pts - 70-231 210pts
FT% - .54 141pts

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Career numbers over three years:

Liv
Games - 100
Total pts - 876
Total 2pts - 360-640 720pts
Total 3pts - 4-22 12pts
FT% - 55.8 144pts

Dorka
Games - 75
Total pts - 975
Total 2pts - 312-579 624pts
Total 3pts - 70-231 210pts
FT% - .54 141pts
So my overall take on these numbers is that if we set aside the 3-point shots (which is not what either player is really expected to do), their 2-point shooting percentage is almost identical, and their free throw shooting has been equally bad. It is certainly true that Dorka's numbers were against generally better competition (Big 10 vs. Big East).

Unless Dorka gets back to her 2019-20 efficiency in 3-point shooting, I don't think Geno will have her taking nearly as many 3-point shots as she did at Ohio State. If Liv's jump shooting percentage remains poor, then Liv will be in the low post and Dorka or Aaliyah will play high and will take midrange jump shots. But I really think Liv will improve her midrange shooting to the point that she can play the high post and let Aaliyah scramble for the putbacks in the paint. Dorka, fortunately, can fill either role, and therefore will probably get as many minutes as either Liv or Aaliyah.

Who starts is immaterial. Who will be on the floor at the end of competitive games will be driven by foul trouble (unfortunately) and by who has the hotter hand on that particular night.

Reaction Score
I think Liv and Dorka will both improve their distance shooting. Dorka has shown in the past that she can shoot threes, so it isn't a matter of ability, but possibly a mental thing, lack of support or bad habits developed at Ohio State. After all, she wanted to get out of there for a reason. I'm confident Geno will get the best out of both.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom