Doris Burke Has Game | The Boneyard

Doris Burke Has Game

Reaction Score
By Noam Scheiber
New York Times
April 28, 2018

PHILADELPHIA — …But Mr. Antetokounmpo, known around the league as the “Greek Freak,” had other thoughts on his mind. Sitting courtside …the Freak noticed an athletic woman in workout clothes a few yards away.

“Oh, that’s Doris,” he blurted, with all the self-control of a celebrity gawker. “Hey, Doris!”

“Doris” would be Doris Burke, the longtime ESPN basketball personality, who, 27 years into her career, last September became the first woman to land a regular job as an N.B.A. analyst on national television — cracking what many consider one of the highest, hardest glass ceilings in broadcasting.

Members of the basketball intelligentsia routinely describe her as one of the game’s top analysts. When asked on a podcast about a recent Burke-called game, Kevin Durant, the most valuable player of last year’s N.B.A. finals, interrupted the interviewer to proclaim, “Doris is the greatest.” The Dallas Mavericks’ coach, Rick Carlisle, said she comes across as having played and coached at a high level, “yet has the gift for making the complex simple.”

I really miss Doris and Dave calling the UConn games. I know there are others here who do not, but I enjoyed them as announcers and their appreciation and recognition of Geno and the teams that he crafted. I never really understood why some were so critical of her. :(

Here is the [LINK] to the full, and enjoyable, NY Times story for any who may be interested. :)

And don’t even start with the comporting!
:eek:

Reaction Score
By Noam Scheiber
New York Times
April 28, 2018

PHILADELPHIA — …But Mr. Antetokounmpo, known around the league as the “Greek Freak,” had other thoughts on his mind. Sitting courtside …the Freak noticed an athletic woman in workout clothes a few yards away.

“Oh, that’s Doris,” he blurted, with all the self-control of a celebrity gawker. “Hey, Doris!”

“Doris” would be Doris Burke, the longtime ESPN basketball personality, who, 27 years into her career, last September became the first woman to land a regular job as an N.B.A. analyst on national television — cracking what many consider one of the highest, hardest glass ceilings in broadcasting.

Members of the basketball intelligentsia routinely describe her as one of the game’s top analysts. When asked on a podcast about a recent Burke-called game, Kevin Durant, the most valuable player of last year’s N.B.A. finals, interrupted the interviewer to proclaim, “Doris is the greatest.” The Dallas Mavericks’ coach, Rick Carlisle, said she comes across as having played and coached at a high level, “yet has the gift for making the complex simple.”

I really miss Doris and Dave calling the UConn games. I know there are others here who do not, but I enjoyed them as announcers and their appreciation and recognition of Geno and the teams that he crafted. I never really understood why some were so critical of her. :(

Here is the [LINK] to the full, and enjoyable, NY Times story for any who may be interested. :)

And don’t even start with the comporting!
:eek:

In my opinion, she is one of the best in the business. For me, my "Big 3" of basketball color analysts are Bill Raftery, Doris Burke, and (still...even at 84) Hubie Brown.

Reaction Score
Doris and Dave were the best team to ever call the Final Four, in my opinion. You can't fake chemistry, it's either there, or it's not (as we unfortunately experienced this season).

Of the currently-active women's basketball broadcast teams, my favorite is Dick Fain and Elise Woodward for the Seattle Storm. They had the call on the recent USA Basketball game against China, which was played at Key Arena. Fain toned it down a little from his usual standards (he can be quite the Storm fan boy!) and the two of them were superb as always.

Last edited:

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
It's weird - I love Doris when she calls NBA games, but didn't like her when she called WCBB games. I don't know if she felt like she had to be more of a cheerleader for the sport as a whole, which therefore hindered her ability to call games objectively? Lobo does this too sometimes.

But I love listening to her during men's games. She really knows her stuff.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
...I never really understood why some were so critical of her. :(

Everything in the entertainment field plays to mixed reviews. When I was just starting in broadcasting, my producer said, “A third of your audience will dislike you, no matter what you do. Another third will like you, no matter how bad you really are, and the rest won’t give a damn about you one way or the other.”

I discovered the truth of the axiom when I started teaching.

Reaction Score
I'm another WBB fan that misses Doris Burke calling the WCBB games!
She was always professional and knowledgeable and always appreciated the hard work and sacrifices UCONN makes to be the best in Division I!
She may have sounded like a fan but truly loved what she does and told it like it is!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I miss the "Early" Doris. The one that used to call the games and not wonder far off the path. Kind of like the early "Elvis" before he got into movie mode.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It's weird - I love Doris when she calls NBA games, but didn't like her when she called WCBB games. I don't know if she felt like she had to be more of a cheerleader for the sport as a whole, which therefore hindered her ability to call games objectively? Lobo does this too sometimes.

But I love listening to her during men's games. She really knows her stuff.
guys games are more entertaining with better action overall

Reaction Score
I'd rather listen to her than the idiot who called the final four this year, whatever his name was. Count me as one of those fans who thought that even when she was waxing philosophical (which she probably did too much at the end) she knew more and was better at calling the game than most out there.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. The theme of men standing in the way of female advancement was never better illustrated, when John McEnroe, as announcer, said that he didn't think women could call the men's game. Way to go, John, ever the Brat.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
In my opinion, she is one of the best in the business. For me, my "Big 3" of basketball color analysts are Bill Raftery, Doris Burke, and (still...even at 84) Hubie Brown.

What - not the "Big 4"? How could you not include that most unbiased voice of all time, Johnny Most? Shocked, I tell you, shocked! :rolleyes:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Wow, people are missing Doris!

Hate to say I told y'all so.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Miss Old Doris like 10-15yrs ago...
The Now Doris is female Dickie V....
Not a fan of Now Doris...

Really want Jay Bilas to do WCBB...
Looking for new female announcer talent...

Whatever Espn is doing isn't working...
Take good talent and ruin them...

Retired Geno may be awesome doing games...

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
guys games are more entertaining with better action overall
I didn't say I enjoyed watching men's games more, I said I think Doris is better in men's games. I don't agree that they are more entertaining.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I didn't say I enjoyed watching men's games more, I said I think Doris is better in men's games. I don't agree that they are more entertaining.
oh ok, I do!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Miss Old Doris like 10-15yrs ago...
The Now Doris is female Dickie V....
Not a fan of Now Doris...

Really want Jay Bilas to do WCBB...
Looking for new female announcer talent...

Whatever Espn is doing isn't working...
Take good talent and ruin them...

Retired Geno may be awesome doing games...
Geno is an awesome color commentator, I was so disappointed he only did it for a year or so in the early days of the WNBA. I doubt he will do more than dabble at it after he retires.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom