Doran Article with Akok and Polley Updates | The Boneyard

Doran Article with Akok and Polley Updates

Reaction Score
Coach Dan Hurley said last month that he anticipates Akok will be back for the start of the Big East season, which begins in early January.

Doran is hopeful and optimistic that Akok will return sooner than that projected date, maybe as early as sometime in November.

"We just had a 10-week appointment with his surgeon (Monday) and his surgeon is very happy and thinks he's definitely on schedule," Doran said. "When this happened in February, it was a pretty traumatic deal. And Akok is not an emotionless person. So maybe the trauma and the drama were even elevated because of him and who he is. ... He's doing great."

Reaction Score
wow thered be No glaring holes on the roster. Top 25 with sweet 16 potential and still 1 spot to fill. lunardi has us as an 11 seed in the first bracketology for 2021

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Obviously November would be great, but I would not mind holding him out until the start of Big East play just for the sake of not rushing things and being 1,000% sure he is ready to go. I think I read an article recently where Hurley said they did not want to rush things with Akok. The last thing we want is Akok to re injure his achilles or anything else related.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Obviously November would be great, but I would not mind holding him out until the start of Big East play just for the sake of not rushing things and being 1,000% sure he is ready to go. I think I read an article recently where Hurley said they did not want to rush things with Akok. The last thing we want is Akok to re injure his achilles or anything else related.

Rather him start 5 weeks too late than 5 weeks too early.

Reaction Score
Good article. Knew that Polley had a knee. Didn't know it was as bad as described in the article.

Reaction Score
That would be an incredibly fast recovery. Glad he is progressing well.

On the other hand, PLEASE let there be a season.
Why do people keep saying this? If anything the season starts later. Health will be a concern but if things aren’t better by November there are far greater problems on hand. The financial implications of canceling a season are enormous. No fans is likely but it’s May, things can change by November. If they bring students back, which seems to be the plan, there will be a season with or without fan attendance.

Reaction Score
If they bring students back, which seems to be the plan, there will be a season with or without fan attendance.
Don't want to derail the thread because we have enough threads about it already, but from what's being discussed and sent from UConn this is far from a given

Reaction Score
This would change my perspective on the season. A starting 5 of Cole, Bouknight, Jackson, Akok and Whaley would be the best lineup we’ve put on the floor since 2014 by a mile and could be a legit top 15 team.

Reaction Score
Don't want to derail the thread because we have enough threads about it already, but from what's being discussed and sent from UConn this is far from a given
Rumors are swirling that the NBA plans to announce that they’re going to resume the season(in some obviously abbreviated form) at some time in the near future. That would bode well for a college season

Reaction Score
Rumors are swirling that the NBA plans to announce that they’re going to resume the season(in some obviously abbreviated form) at some time in the near future. That would bode well for a college season
I'm still optimistic we'll get a season but there's a lot of logistics decisions the NBA can make that college sports can't so it's apples to oranges

Reaction Score
Season is gunna happen. Only issue will be when. Ie) will it start in November or January? Should have a vaccine by January if all things go well.

Reaction Score
Season is gunna happen. Only issue will be when. Ie) will it start in November or January? Should have a vaccine by January if all things go well.
How come when I ask, "What if the season was canceled?", I get crushed for talking about nonsense, but others can post with certainty that the season will happen? Both attitudes are completely speculative (unless someone has knowledge of the future somehow), but at least my question shows some humility.

I guess the season-questioners get killed because the emotional implications of such a turn of events is too much for some, which is fine. My point is that to predict future events one way or another is equally nonsensical in either case.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Don’t want to go down this rabbithole, but a vaccine being “ready” in January does not just mean we can immediately inject everyone with it and put 10k in Gampel.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
"We just had a 10-week appointment with his surgeon (Monday) and his surgeon is very happy and thinks he's definitely on schedule," Doran said. "When this happened in February, it was a pretty traumatic deal. And Akok is not an emotionless person. So maybe the trauma and the drama were even elevated because of him and who he is. ... He's doing great."

This is the least shocking news ever. Dude is so stone faced posters were asking if he was depressed in high school

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

And people need to realize he's gonna be rusty as @#$%. No offseason. Likely no progression skill wise. Perhaps a step back athletically to start. Definitely a step back mentally until he builds up that trust in his body again

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
And people need to realize he's gonna be rusty as @#$%. No offseason. Likely no progression skill wise. Perhaps a step back athletically to start. Definitely a step back mentally until he builds up that trust in his body again

Definitely agree there is a strong possibility he will have mental hurdles to overcome and as a result may not be as explosive from the start, but one positive it maybe he will use this time to improve his shooting. I don't recall the specific circumstances / timeline but I remember seeing that KD was able to resume his shooting drills pretty early on into rehab. If the same is true for Akok could be a big opportunity to bolster that part of his game.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Definitely agree there is a strong possibility he will have mental hurdles to overcome and as a result may not be as explosive from the start, but one positive it maybe he will use this time to improve his shooting. I don't recall the specific circumstances / timeline but I remember seeing that KD was able to resume his shooting drills pretty early on into rehab. If the same is true for Akok could be a big opportunity to bolster that part of his game.
I agree he could use the time to work on a lot of things.
The thing about improving his shooting- in practice he shot lights out but when the lights go on something happened.
Not sure if shooting in practice will change anything (yes, it can't hurt), just hope he isn't one of those guys who can't replicate practice habits/reps into game situations
It will be great to see him on the court again

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom