Donyell Marshall out at CCSU | The Boneyard

Donyell Marshall out at CCSU

Reaction Score
No shock. I thought he'd last until his son graduated, but he lasted one more year than I expected.

40-104 record (.278 winning percentage).

Reaction Score
CCSU is also probably like the worst job in the country...I wouldn't really make that judgement based on that.

I've seen at least 10-12 practices and probably another 12 games of theirs. Donyell had unbelievably physical gifts, a brilliant and natural sense for the game, and a work ethic that low-major kids just don't have. The best coaches know how to motivate those types of kids (like Hurley at Wagner). Donyell isn't that guy.

He'd be a great high major assistant IMO. He was great at Buffalo

Reaction Score
I've seen at least 10-12 practices and probably another 12 games of theirs. Donyell had unbelievably physical gifts, a brilliant and natural sense for the game, and a work ethic that low-major kids just don't have. The best coaches know how to motivate those types of kids (like Hurley at Wagner). Donyell isn't that guy.

He may end up at Rutgers. Pikiell was about to hire him but then Donyell took the CCSU job instead.

Reaction Score
CCSU is also probably like the worst job in the country...I wouldn't really make that judgement based on that.
I think it is the worst. Marshall was 40-104, Central hasn't had a winning season since 2010. Haven't won the Northeast since 2007. They are going to need a special person to even compete in the NEC.

And the hiring process won't be helped by the fact that Tom Pincince is working under and interim tag.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it is the worst. Marshall was 40-104, Central hasn't had a winning season since 2010. Haven't won the Northeast since 2007. They are going to need a special person to even compete in the NEC.

And the hiring process won't be helped by the fact that Tom Pincince is working under and interim tag.
If vinales didn’t screw up CCSU coulda made noise, what like 8 years back, the downward spiral continued to get worse from there.

I really hope they find someone. Any candidates in mind?

Reaction Score
If vinales didn’t screw up CCSU coulda made noise, what like 8 years back, the downward spiral continued to get worse from there.

I really hope they find someone. Any candidates in mind?
Vinales getting arrested and then Matt Mobley transferring. Ah what could have been

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Wo

would he be good with us?

Reaction Score
The fan board really seems to want Pat Sellers.
Makes a ton of sense.

Sellers is a CCSU alum and started his assistant coaching career in New Britain. Creighton, FDU, Hofstra, Fairfield, UMass, UConn....he's worked hard.

Even though CCSU is a tough job, it would be really cool to see one of our guys return back to his CCSU.

Reaction Score
I've been a big Pat Sellers supporter for years. He was the top choice of the Central AD 5 years ago. When he was overruled--by a UConn guy who sat on the board--the AD resigned a few weeks later. Ended up at Fairfield...and immediately hired Pat as an assistant MBB coach.
Pat was an outstanding player. We were at Central at the same time. His brother Rod would often bring his UConn guys over to Vance Hall to hang out.
Having said all that, neither Pat, nor I, are young guys anymore. However, if he still has the energy and passion to come to Central for the long haul--and it will be a difficult haul! (with all the ridiculous cuts to the current athletic budgets)--then I'd be very interested.
Good luck to your Huskies in the postseason!

Reaction Score
A couple of years ago, I would have been offended by this comment, however, NOW I have to admit that you may be right. The president of Central has slashed the basketball budget down to nothing. It's ridiculous! Central is a really tough place to win under the current economic constraints.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score

according to the Courant article he was 40-140

Reaction Score
I attended CCSU in the late 90's, it was a good program when Howie started there. Me and my buddies would go to just about every home game, short walk from our dorm. Sad to see whats happened in the last 10 or 12 years.

Reaction Score

In hindsight, Howie making multiple NCAA tournaments there is pretty remarkable.

Reaction Score

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Donyell really did CCSU a favor by coaching there. He raised their profile. He represented them with class. I thought his team play as well as they could given they were almost always outgunned. Very tough place to win. He did nothing that would hurt his legacy.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
In hindsight, Howie making multiple NCAA tournaments there is pretty remarkable.
It's a tough sell. Keith Closs, Rick Mickens, not much else in their history. They really don't stand out or even look average in any non-basketball aspect - location, prestige, student facilities.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom