Don't Overanalyze | The Boneyard

Don't Overanalyze

Reaction Score
I kind of think that too. We are now where UCF and SMU were 2 years ago. Seeing lots of young players easing in or just stepping over upper class men. We'll take some lumps but are on the right track. I am still hopeful that we will put something together late in the year--put together a couple of wins, maybe a wtf upset along the way.

Reaction Score
This is a rebuild year. Diaco spent three years recruiting FCS players. We're bad because we're bad.

Not much fun to watch but it won't be like this forever.
It is a fair point.

But..... many new head coaches come in and improvement is immediate and noticeable. Every new coach at UConn gets a pass as the teams look worse and worse. We turn every opposing QB into Johnny Unitas even from lower divisions.

Most of the BY folks are in for the long haul. We support the kids (except for Whaler) and the program. We know it will take time. We watch and root, good or bad. It's been made painfully obvious this isn't easy. I can't get mad at folks for being frustrated. However --show us a sign, something hopeful.

In the words of Dr Evil.

Reaction Score
It is a fair point.

But..... many new head coaches come in and improvement is immediate and noticeable. Every new coach at UConn gets a pass as the teams look worse and worse. We turn every opposing QB into Johnny Unitas even from lower divisions.

Most of the BY folks are in for the long haul. We support the kids (except for Whaler) and the program. We know it will take time. We watch and root, good or bad. It's been made painfully obvious this isn't easy. I can't get mad at folks for being frustrated. However --show us a sign, something hopeful.

In the words of Dr Evil.

I think there are cases where coaches do a bad job with decent talent. Diaco was doing a bad job with bad talent.

It's hard to expect much with a new staff. But you have a fair point.

Reaction Score
It is a fair point.

In the words of Dr Evil.

Agree with most of this but you just discribed 90% of teams who change coaches. It is rare new coaches turn teams around in one season.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Agree with most of this but you just discribed 90% of teams who change coaches. It is rare new coaches turn teams around in one season.
Scott Frost did it but he's probably only at UCF one or at most 2 more years.

Reaction Score
Scott Frost did it but he's probably only at UCF one or at most 2 more years.
Yeah but UCF was a strange situation. They went from a top 10 team in 2013 to 9-4 to 0-12 in 2015. I don't think anyone saw that coming. I have to believe there was some talent there, something else went wrong. I've heard that O Leary just lost interest which seems strange but who knows. But they had 1 losing season in the previous 7 and a bunch of double digit win seasons. Unless the shock of losing the FLiCT in 2014 was just to shocking...we will see what happens this year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It is a fair point.

In the words of Dr Evil.

You are an idiot.

You should stick to home economics and television because sports is totally lost on you.

Reaction Score
All I know is that D is much easier to rebuild than the O. I see signs of life with O which is great. The D looks to be a scary regression. I'd like to be positive about Crocker but I don't see much to be optimistic about. Let's see what happens against ECU.

Reaction Score
Listen...This team is moving the ball. Crucial mistakes in the Red Zone...I will take it. It will take time, I know it. I already like the offense. Baby Steps.

If not for turnovers through 2 games, the postive turnaround on the offensive side of the ball with a change in coaching and system would be a much bigger story than the negative drop off on the defensive side of the ball with a change in coaching and systems. The return - see what I did there - of a kicking game has also been postitive.

Let's hope that the O turnovers and the D dropoff in performance are both temporary things to correct with more practice, and the kicking game thing is permanent.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I kind of think that too. We are now where UCF and SMU were 2 years ago. Seeing lots of young players easing in or just stepping over upper class men. We'll take some lumps but are on the right track. I am still hopeful that we will put something together late in the year--put together a couple of wins, maybe a wtf upset along the way.

I've been thinking that this season could turn into a mirror image of the 2002 season, our first full fledged DIA team with 85 schollies. We started 2-6 playing against mostly less than stellar opponents, with the exception of the Beagles and GA Tech, and then it was like somebody flicked a switch to the "on" position and we win our last four in a row, including a blowout win over Navy and a season ending shocker at Iowa State, a team that had been ranked as high as near the top ten earlier that year until their QB Seneca Wallace got injured. We finish 6-6, technically bowl eligible with no bowl to go to as an independent.

There are some similarities between that team and this year's. We still had I-AA caliber players in key roles on that roster, not unlike what's being complained about here with Diaco's recruiting failures. I'm not predicting any sudden and dramatic turnaround will occur at some point this season, but it is possible that after several games some improvement may be in store. Who knows, maybe we end the season on a high note heading into next year. Hopefully the game at Fenway becomes this season's Iowa State.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom