Don't Look Now ... | The Boneyard

Don't Look Now ...

Reaction Score
But commentators are lauding Don Browns defense at Michigan. Yup, the D was pretty good when he was here. "Solve your problems with aggression."

Reaction Score
He was always my favorite Uconn defensive coordinator. His defenses did give up some big plays from time to time but made a lot more big defensive plays.

Reaction Score
Cousin played for him at Plymouth State. Loves the guy.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Think about this for a minute. If Paul Pasqualoni wasn't some kind of weird ancient blood-brother with George DeLeone, we could have had Don Brown as a our DC and Joe Moorhead as our OC coming off of our Fiesta Bowl appearance in 2011.

How is that for a potential coordinator lineup at UConn? Think our fate would have been slightly different?!Head bang

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Think about this for a minute. If Paul Pasqualoni wasn't some kind of weird ancient blood-brother with George DeLeone, we could have had Don Brown as a our DC and Joe Moorhead as our OC coming off of our Fiesta Bowl appearance in 2011.

How is that for a potential coordinator lineup at UConn? Think our fate would have been slightly different?!Head bang

That coordinator staff would have been so strong that they would've carried a stubborn old goat like PP to a winning season.

Reaction Score
So... Don Brown is a good defensive coordinator?? Who knew?

(Literally everyone that has ever followed college football...)
Ahh, the snark. There is always one ....

But did you know in 2011 I guess is a more pertinent question. Came here after Friedgen got fired at Maryland. His first year at Maryland, to quote Wikipedia, "The defense struggled to pressure opposing quarterbacks with the implementation of Brown's aggressive, blitz-oriented scheme.[5] Maryland finished tied for last in the Atlantic Coast Conference in scoring defense, allowing an average of 31.2 points per game and caused just 12 turnovers and recorded 27 sacks. The lower than expected figures were attributed to a lack of players suited to the defensive scheme.[6]" The second year was better and interestingly they blitzed 85% of the time. But nonetheless the discussion boards mocked him on his departure from Maryland.

So, I guess it is fair to say that he has come a long way even those his defenses here were pretty good.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Ahh, the snark. There is always one ....

But did you know in 2011 I guess is a more pertinent question. Came here after Friedgen got fired at Maryland. His first year at Maryland, to quote Wikipedia, "The defense struggled to pressure opposing quarterbacks with the implementation of Brown's aggressive, blitz-oriented scheme.[5] Maryland finished tied for last in the Atlantic Coast Conference in scoring defense, allowing an average of 31.2 points per game and caused just 12 turnovers and recorded 27 sacks. The lower than expected figures were attributed to a lack of players suited to the defensive scheme.[6]" The second year was better and interestingly they blitzed 85% of the time. But nonetheless the discussion boards mocked him on his departure from Maryland.

So, I guess it is fair to say that he has come a long way even those his defenses here were pretty good.

"Ahhhhhh, you know it now, but did you know it 8 years ago???"

That's what you sound like. I can safely say that I knew it 7 years ago. Most on this board knew it 7 years ago. The rest of the nation has known it for at least 5 years.

This was the hottest take on this board in quite some time...

Reaction Score
The point is that he landed here with nowhere near the reputation he has now. And he wasn't all THAT great when he was here. He had great players to work with. I definitely remember long periods in games when UConn could not stop the slant pass to save their lives. And someone (IA State?) lit them up for an insane amount of passing yards (although perhaps not insane by today's UConn standards).

Reaction Score
But commentators are lauding Don Browns defense at Michigan. Yup, the D was pretty good when he was here. "Solve your problems with aggression."
Well guess what? Don Brown isn't at UConn any more so move on. You can move ahead a lot faster to what can be if you are not constantly looking over your shoulder at what was.

Reaction Score
Well guess what? Don Brown isn't at UConn any more so move on. You can move ahead a lot faster to what can be if you are not constantly looking over your shoulder at what was.
What's with the lecturing snark? You got something better to talk about? It was just an observation along the lines of another coach who left and went on to great things. My condolences if all you want to talk about is this year's team and its likely 1-11 or 2-10 record this year and 3-9 next year. We are in long term waiting mode for things to get better for UConn FB.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
"Ahhhhhh, you know it now, but did you know it 8 years ago???"

That's what you sound like. I can safely say that I knew it 7 years ago. Most on this board knew it 7 years ago. The rest of the nation has known it for at least 5 years.

This was the hottest take on this board in quite some time...
We have produced some good coordinators over the years.. Brown and Morehead are 2 that come to mind

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    8.1 KB · Views: 26

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics