Don't look now, but we're 2-0 for the first time since 2008. | The Boneyard

Don't look now, but we're 2-0 for the first time since 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jimmy Serrano said:
I'll take 2-0, but I felt a lot better leaving the stadium last week than I do right now. That was an awful Army team.
It might be because I went 20x on our boys, but yeah. Defense was okay. Someone nailed it that they were good for 2 touchdowns... The offense was not awesome today. The line looked anemic. Bright spot? Newsome is coming into his own. Too bad he never shirted.

Reaction Score
Woooooooooo Hoooooooooo!! A win is a win. Two in the pocket, five to go. Six for a title, eight for a show(BCS bowl).

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'll take 2-0, but I felt a lot better leaving the stadium last week than I do right now.

That was an awful Army team.

Yep - going to get a wake up call next week.

Going to have to air it out to win going foward. Use the pass and QB scramble to open the field up and keep pressure off the OLine.

Maybe they can improve by not being the favorite - which can have teams playing tight.

Reaction Score
We're 2 and ZERO and pretty much nothing else matters. Now we take it one the road with some good chalk to analyze against 2 challenging teams. The teams we just played are a cut above Missouri's cupcakes so I hope they think whatever they've done so far will be good enough to beat us. They might end up being wrong.

So even though this was a huge start for us there is already a nice win by Houston on the road today, and USF showed well even though they shot themselves in the foot way too many times to win against FSU.

We still have ECU trying to find themselves later against FL and way later UCF and Stanford face off in Palo Alto. Maybe we get one of those two, but even if we don't either Cincy or Temple will be 2-0 later tonight.

And did I mention we're 2-0?

YEP WE'RE 2-0!

Reaction Score
Missouri did lose at home to Indiana last year, so if they overlook us, who knows.

In all likelihood, though, next week will serve as a sobering reminder of how far away the program still is. But that's OK - given how bad we were last year, and how gravely endangered the program appeared at times, two wins in two games represents an infusion of life that the fan base needed as much as the players.

Looking at the schedule, I see only four games as sure losses (@ Missouri, @ BYU, @ Cincinnati, and @ Temple), which gives us the opportunity to win as many as eight. Obviously, that's unlikely to happen, but a bowl seems like a realistic goal at this point, and would be an amazing accomplishment for the program.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It wasn't pretty by any means, but I still have that we do have some players in place that will lay the foundation forward.

In the scheme of things we have a lot to improve on but as far as this season goes and bowling. We needed these 2 and got em.

Reaction Score
Feels good. Feels real good. Might be a few weeks before another win but darn it I feel good right now.

I think were going sneak into the 4 or 5 win territory which is a big success after last year.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Missouri did lose at home to Indiana last year, so if they overlook us, who knows.

In all likelihood, though, next week will serve as a sobering reminder of how far away the program still is. But that's OK - given how bad we were last year, and how gravely endangered the program appeared at times, two wins in two games represents an infusion of life that the fan base needed as much as the players.

Looking at the schedule, I see only four games as sure losses (@ Missouri, @ BYU, @ Cincinnati, and @ Temple), which gives us the opportunity to win as many as eight. Obviously, that's unlikely to happen, but a bowl seems like a realistic goal at this point, and would be an amazing accomplishment for the program.

I know this means nothing but Auburn literally came within 39 secs of losing to Jax state, whom most would assume would be a sure fire win. Not expecting a win but is anything sure fire, there's always a chance that's why they play the games .

Reaction Score
Feels good. Feels real good. Might be a few weeks before another win but darn it I feel good right now.

I think were going sneak into the 4 or 5 win territory which is a big success after last year.
I'm looking at 7 wins...Missouri, maybe...Temple and UCF, we could beat...

Reaction Score
We dominated that game for stretches. Gave up two,long touchdown plays which were concerning. I'm really afraid of what Navy's option could do to us since they run it much more seamlessly and in particular their pitches happen at warp speed.

Reaction Score
I think this is a UCONN team that may play up to its competition for the first time in a long time, if ever. We've had truly great defensive players and we've had offensive talent in very small batches but this team seems to have a lot of playmakers. That may allow us to win some games we shouldn't and it may also give us some good production against teams we don't think we'll move the ball against. Seriously, this team could actually catch fire and score a lot of points. I'm not sure we've ever had that, even in the best of times. I thought we looked like crap but I've been watching lots of teams struggle against inferior competition. We have a new OC, a new QB and a ton of youth. We have a legit excuse to get off to a mediocre start. We're 2-0 so I'm not complaining. In fact, it's hard for anyone to complain, we're light years better than last year. That team would have started 0-2 against Nova and Army.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, but that next to last play when Shirreffs got sacked was the scariest thing to happen all game. He should have taken a knee. Bob was turning a corner until that one. I think there was a little bit of time mismanagement prior as well.

Reaction Score
First, BS could be the best QB since Dan O if he continues to perform like he is. Second, this the first time in 4 years I feel like there is a semblance of credible play on all sides of the ball.

There is still monumental improvement needed in establishing winning habits, getting the OLine to a high level of play, getting special teams executing basics, etc..

Mizzou will clean our clocks if we give up big plays like we did today. They will also literally kill BS if we can't pass protect and pick up and handle blitzes.

Reaction Score
Naturally there are weak spots here and there, but we're exactly where we hoped to be after 2 weeks - 2-0, and the offense and defense have collectively played well enough to be hopeful for the future.

The team is improved - and still improving and gaining confidence.

Today wasn't pretty, but they did enough to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom