Don't give up. Don't ever give up. | The Boneyard

Don't give up. Don't ever give up.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s all together fitting and proper that the Jimmy V Women’s Classic produced one of the greatest comebacks in the history of UConn WBB. Facing a determined Notre Dame team, led by one of the best coaches in WBB not named Geno Auriemma, UConn struggled for most of the game to hang onto a ND team that both outplayed and outhustled the Huskies for 3 quarters.

Even worse, Gabby, whose heart is as big as the state of Nevada, was rendered ineffective by her recurring migraines and forced to watch the 2nd half from the bench. Lou, just back from injury, playing heroically to carry UConn on her back in the 3rd qtr, was felled early in the 4th qtr by yet another foot or ankle injury.

Down 2 AA’s and facing an 11-pt deficit in the 4th qtr against the #3 team in the nation, the situation may have seemed hopeless to many fans. Some fans had gnashed their teeth and written the Huskies off as early as the 2nd qtr. I feel sorry for those Husky fans that threw in the towel early yesterday. For they may have missed something truly remarkable.

One possession at a time, a tough senior, the 1 healthy AA, a sophomore pg, a transfer and a freshman clawed the Huskies back into the game by executing on offense, getting stops on defense and rebounding all over the court like their lives depended on it. A 26-9 4th qtr turned the 11-pt deficit into a 9-pt victory in front of 15,000+ delirious fans at the XL center, and millions more watching at home.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from watching Geno and the Huskies for many years, it’s to never sell them short. For those UConn WBB fans that lost hope yesterday, and all UConn fans everywhere, when our Huskies are down and seemingly out of the game, always keep in mind the inspiring words of Jimmy V when he faced the greatest battle of his life:

Don’t give up. Don’t ever give up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another take on this theme, though I missed hearing Valvano’s speech during this broadcast, I really enjoyed seeing Holly Rowe speaking from the heart. She really has not given up! As a cancer survivor, I appreciate the inspiration she gives (though I would have appreciated more a better example than last year’s loss)!

Reaction Score
It would be difficult to underestimate the importance of the ND game. Strangely, it wasn't about the win but about the confrontation with and reaction to adversity. After Miss. St. the UConn women vowed never to have that “feeling” again, and against the Irish they fulfilled that pledge. In a ferocious fourth quarter, the Huskies put to rest the notion that they lacked the emotional and physical qualities to determine their fate. Geno called it an expression of “greatness,” something to draw upon in future tests. And make a mental note: in the midst of the 4th qtr. scrum was young Megan Walker, baptized in fire, a born Husky.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just watched the game replay again this morning. The 4th qtr was just about as exciting the 2nd time around. With Gabby & Lou out, and Z getting her 4th foul at the end of the 3rd qtr, one potentially fatal blow that ND never landed was to foul Z out of the game. Z played brilliantly in the 4th qtr, scoring, rebounding and defending without picking up her 5th foul.

Reaction Score
One possession at a time, a tough senior, the 1 healthy AA, a sophomore pg, a transfer and a freshman clawed the Huskies back into the game by executing on offense, getting stops on defense and rebounding all over the court like their lives depended on it. A 26-9 4th qtr turned the 11-pt deficit into a 9-pt victory in front of 15,000+ delirious fans at the XL center, and millions more watching at home.
Excellent post, thanks.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Not to be a Debbie Downer but as Geno said sometimes it is more to do with the other team not making shots. If I am Notre Dame I would be concerned with the way I ended that game.

Reaction Score
I watched an ESPN video at least 10 times...specially at 2Q, 1:25 remaining, UConn was down 10 pts and ND stole and scored 2 more pts, I almost gave up my hope. Glad I didn't....

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not to be a Debbie Downer but as Geno said sometimes it is more to do with the other team not making shots. If I am Notre Dame I would be concerned with the way I ended that game.
Don't confuse Geno's philosophical meanderings with what actually happened. Watch the 4th qtr. The Huskies fight through every pick, make just about every switch and contest just about every ND shot, something that did not happen throughout the first three qtrs. There was one defensive breakdown by the Huskies in the 4th qtr that resulted in a ND layup. Other than that, UConn's defense was superb.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
In all the other games they played this season, I did not want to re watch the fourth quarter. The fourth quarter in yesterday's game is the only one I want to re watch, although the first quarter was not bad.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Don't confuse Geno's philosophical meanderings with what actually happened. Watch the 4th qtr. The Huskies fight through every pick, make just about every switch and contest just about every ND shot, something that did not happen throughout the first three qtrs. There was one defensive breakdown by the Huskies in the 4th qtr that resulted in a ND layup. Other than that, UConn's defense was superb.

I was n't confusing anything, I agreed with him as thats what I saw. By Uconn standards, this was not their typical defensive game from start to finish. If it had been I doubt Notre Dame ever gets in the game as you were giving up lay ups. I thought the difference was Notre Dame making bad decisions down the stretch, shooting 3s when Uconn had a player with 4 fouls and where Notre Dames Post player had been successful against your post players. They should have pounded the ball inside and fouled out Stevens.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was n't confusing anything, I agreed with him as thats what I saw. By Uconn standards, this was not their typical defensive game from start to finish. If it had been I doubt Notre Dame ever gets in the game as you were giving up lay ups. I thought the difference was Notre Dame making bad decisions down the stretch, shooting 3s when Uconn had a player with 4 fouls and where Notre Dames Post player had been successful against your post players. They should have pounded the ball inside and fouled out Stevens.
I certainly agree that ND could have made a greater effort to attempt to get the ball inside in the 4th qtr, but there were few if any defensive breakdowns by the Huskies in the 4th qtr, allowing ND to easily attack the basket like in the first 3 qtrs, so ND settled for 3’s which were almost all contested by UConn defenders.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I certainly agree that ND could have made a greater effort to attempt to get the ball inside in the 4th qtr, but there were few if any defensive breakdowns by the Huskies in the 4th qtr, allowing ND to easily attack the basket like in the first 3 qtrs, so ND settled for 3’s which were almost all contested by UConn defenders.

Again, I saw it differently, Notre Dame did not try to attack the basket. Too quick in putting up 3s.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Again, I saw it differently, Notre Dame did not try to attack the basket. Too quick in putting up 3s.
We don’t disagree on that point. What I will point out is that through the 1st 3 qtrs UConn had numerous defensive breakdowns that allowed ND to repeatedly attack the basket for easy layups and/or fouls. In the 4th qtr the Huskies made it much more difficult for ND to attack the basket resulting in more 3’s which UConn contested.

This is kind of a chicken and egg argument. I’m just saying the chicken’s not going to lay many eggs if you don’t let em anywhere near the chicken coop.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
We don’t disagree on that point. What I will point out is that through the 1st 3 qtrs UConn had numerous defensive breakdowns that allowed ND to repeatedly attack the basket for easy layups and/or fouls. In the 4th qtr the Huskies made it much more difficult for ND to attack the basket resulting in more 3’s which UConn contested.

This is kind of a chicken and egg argument. I’m just saying the chicken’s not going to lay many eggs if you don’t let em anywhere near the chicken coop.

If the 3s were at the end of the shot clock I could see your argument but they weren't.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If the 3s were at the end of the shot clock I could see your argument but they weren't.
Not sure how that’s relevant. Under MM, ND has always been an up tempo team that seldom worries about the shot clock.

I’ve watched the game twice now, and the difference between UConn’s defensive effort in the 4th qtr and the 3 qtrs that preceded it was significantly better.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It is interesting that so many people can disagree about what they are watching. I don't think effort itself was the main issue. I think Z pointed out in the post game interviews that defensive communication was very poor. There were many breakdowns on the defensive end both for defensive rebounding and switching responsibilities. Many examples where no UConn player was close to the action and out of position and at times poor switching led to
real bad mismatches. I think that was cleaned up quite a bit in the 4th and getting your head into the game automatically enhances your intensity. I recall thinking to myself that some plays were finally anticipated in the 4th quarter.

Reaction Score
It’s all together fitting and proper that the Jimmy V Women’s Classic produced one of the greatest comebacks in the history of UConn WBB. Facing a determined Notre Dame team, led by one of the best coaches in WBB not named Geno Auriemma, UConn struggled for most of the game to hang onto a ND team that both outplayed and outhustled the Huskies for 3 quarters.

Even worse, Gabby, whose heart is as big as the state of Nevada, was rendered ineffective by her recurring migraines and forced to watch the 2nd half from the bench. Lou, just back from injury, playing heroically to carry UConn on her back in the 3rd qtr, was felled early in the 4th qtr by yet another foot or ankle injury.

Down 2 AA’s and facing an 11-pt deficit in the 4th qtr against the #3 team in the nation, the situation may have seemed hopeless to many fans. Some fans had gnashed their teeth and written the Huskies off as early as the 2nd qtr. I feel sorry for those Husky fans that threw in the towel early yesterday. For they may have missed something truly remarkable.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from watching Geno and the Huskies for many years, it’s to never sell them short. For those UConn WBB fans that lost hope yesterday, and all UConn fans everywhere, when our Huskies are down and seemingly out of the game, always keep in mind the inspiring words of Jimmy V when he faced the greatest battle of his life:

]

Great post!! All the right ingredients to make a top movie, pathos, injured star, tough Canadian, a veteran Newcomer and the kid standing and holding the line: The Canadian: encourages her team: hold the line, hold the line , we can't give in!
The kid looks to the Veteran--We can hold em, can't we Z, can't we? Z--replies--Yea, kid just keep an eye on the Canadian!

I was hopeful up to the end of the 3rd qtr, then the beautiful love interest was sitting, Z was in foul trouble, the new comers had not yet been tested--could they hold the line or allow Nasty IRISH IRA's operatives blow up their hopes?

The youngest kid grabbed the ball and passed it to Z, who handed it to the Canadian--A touch DOWN. then another and another, a few stops, and Dangerous Dan holds the ball and keeps the Nasties at bay. My feelings of joy could not been exceeded.

I watched the original Jimmy V's --Never give up speech--knowing he was dying, it was a certainty,
If one didn't have tears in their eyes listening and seeing Jimmy V--they were from a different planet. Tough to watch.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It is interesting that so many people can disagree about what they are watching. I don't think effort itself was the main issue. I think Z pointed out in the post game interviews that defensive communication was very poor. There were many breakdowns on the defensive end both for defensive rebounding and switching responsibilities. Many examples where no UConn player was close to the action and out of position and at times poor switching led to
real bad mismatches. I think that was cleaned up quite a bit in the 4th and getting your head into the game automatically enhances your intensity. I recall thinking to myself that some plays were finally anticipated in the 4th quarter.
Your first sentence explains why there is so much disagreement between officials calls and what fans see or think they see.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
]

Great post!! All the right ingredients to make a top movie, pathos, injured star, tough Canadian, a veteran Newcomer and the kid standing and holding the line: The Canadian: encourages her team: hold the line, hold the line , we can't give in!
The kid looks to the Veteran--We can hold em, can't we Z, can't we? Z--replies--Yea, kid just keep an eye on the Canadian!

I was hopeful up to the end of the 3rd qtr, then the beautiful love interest was sitting, Z was in foul trouble, the new comers had not yet been tested--could they hold the line or allow Nasty IRISH IRA's operatives blow up their hopes?

The youngest kid grabbed the ball and passed it to Z, who handed it to the Canadian--A touch DOWN. then another and another, a few stops, and Dangerous Dan holds the ball and keeps the Nasties at bay. My feelings of joy could not been exceeded.

I watched the original Jimmy V's --Never give up speech--knowing he was dying, it was a certainty,
If one didn't have tears in their eyes listening and seeing Jimmy V--they were from a different planet. Tough to watch.
The only other speech comparable to Jimmy V’s magnificent speech at the ESPY’s when he was dying of cancer was Lou Gehrig’s speech at Yankee stadium, when he was dying of ALS, declaring, “Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth.”

Reaction Score
The only other speech comparable to Jimmy V’s magnificent speech at the ESPY’s when he was dying of cancer was Lou Gehrig’s speech at Yankee stadium, when he was dying of ALS, declaring, “Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth.”
My young handsome uncle died of that---a long lingering, terrible way to die. My dad spent weeks with him I visited him choking on his on saliva--that as my last visit.
Great speech for Lou, great words. But Jimmy I knew was dying, with Lou, as a kid, I had no idea. Each was emotional in their own way. Inspiring.

Reaction Score
This game was so much like my daughters game on Saturday. Her team was down by 13 to begin the 4th quarter. Then they went on a 14-1 run. So exciting!! I couldn’t believe they came back!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This game was so much like my daughters game on Saturday. Her team was down by 13 to begin the 4th quarter. Then they went on a 14-1 run. So exciting!! I couldn’t believe they came back!!
Nothing better then watching your kid play ball. Enjoy it while it lasts, because it’s over way too soon.

Reaction Score
Nothing better then watching your kid play ball. Enjoy it while it lasts, because it’s over way too soon.

Oo I know. I’m hoping she looks into playing overseas.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom