Don't Get Caught in DePaul Craziness | The Boneyard

Don't Get Caught in DePaul Craziness

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“They’re going to play the way they’re going to play,” Auriemma said. “All you can do is make sure you don’t get caught up in the craziness of it.”

UConn, Geno Auriemma Ready For The Craziness At DePaul

“You don’t really believe it until you see it, then you kind of understand what kind of team they are,” senior Gabby Williams said. “It’s a pace that we like to play at, but we can’t let them let us get out of control. We can play at a high pace as long as we’re in control.”

Interesting tid-bit on Megan W too.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I look forward to the DePaul game every year. They're such a fun team to watch, and Doug Bruno is just a great guy.

Also, in honor of the Chicago school, I'm making deep-dish pizza for supper!

Reaction Score
few teams live or dies by the three point shot like DePaul does................South Florida might be a distant second

Reaction Score
few teams live or dies by the three point shot like DePaul does......South Florida might be a distant second
Villanova and Harry P---dribble sideway or with your back to the opponent, run the clock, then shoot 3's . Not as many 3's but they LIVE and Die with the 3. And Harry direct every move all game long. He has given a geno team a lot of fitz over the years. I miss those crazy games and the friendship, almost as tight as with Doug B..

Reaction Score
I look forward to the DePaul game every year. They're such a fun team to watch, and Doug Bruno is just a great guy.

Also, in honor of the Chicago school, I'm making deep-dish pizza for supper!

The best diverse ethnic food of any city including NY--to me Chicago is an EATER's delight.
I agree with your doug B comments---he is fun to watch, he talks different than any other coach--and the Bromance between he and Geno is delightful. Everyone should have a buddy as good a Doug Bruno!! (Or Geno)

Reaction Score
Megan Walker will have her best performance to date vs.Depaul.Historically,Depaul hasn't had the type of players who excel defending the superb athletes,of which Megan is one.

Reaction Score
And like most freshmen, Walker’s defense is a work in progress. Against Notre Dame, she had five rebounds during UConn’s fourth quarter comeback and played a pivotal role in the win.

“That’s a big learning experience for freshmen who scored a lot of points in high school,” Auriemma said. “They think, if I’m not scoring, I’m not contributing. She contributed a lot [Sunday]. She does a lot, until she starts thinking that, I need to score. Then when she doesn’t have the ball in her hands, she doesn’t do anything. She’s getting better at it.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Villanova and Harry P---dribble sideway or with your back to the opponent, run the clock, then shoot 3's . Not as many 3's but they LIVE and Die with the 3. And Harry direct every move all game long. He has given a geno team a lot of fitz over the years. I miss those crazy games and the friendship, almost as tight as with Doug B..

Then there was Harry and the neck tie. Know what I'm talking about? Villanova gave UConn fits so Pat Summitt wanted some of that. The rumor at the time was that she wanted Harry to teach her the motion offense (she could hardly ask Geno!). Here's an article that describes Harry and Pat's relationship. Jensen: Villanova's Perretta knew the legendary Pat Summitt like few others

And: "Once I saw the five out [motion offense], I loved it," Summitt said. "Not that it was something we would run 100 percent, but I liked the fact that it is motion with some structure. It teaches players to read, and it's really taught us to play better without the basketball. . . . I think it's teaching us how to play basketball and not just run plays." Two Coaches, Now Two Friends

As Geno would quip: ''He left me for an older woman,'' Auriemma lamented last week."

''Pat thinks he is going steady with her,'' Auriemma said. ''He calls everybody. He called me five times the other day. I'm trying to tell him it's over, you are out of the tournament, go home.''

Sports of The Times; Friend Gets Tangled in Coaches' Rivalry

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Then there was Harry and the neck tie. No what I'm talking about? Villanova gave UConn fits so Pat Summitt wanted some of that. The rumor at the time was that she wanted Harry to teach her the motion offense (she could hardly ask Geno!). Here's an article that describes Harry and Pat's relationship. Jensen: Villanova's Perretta knew the legendary Pat Summitt like few others

And: "Once I saw the five out [motion offense], I loved it," Summitt said. "Not that it was something we would run 100 percent, but I liked the fact that it is motion with some structure. It teaches players to read, and it's really taught us to play better without the basketball. . . . I think it's teaching us how to play basketball and not just run plays." Two Coaches, Now Two Friends

As Geno would quip: ''He left me for an older woman,'' Auriemma lamented last week."

''Pat thinks he is going steady with her,'' Auriemma said. ''He calls everybody. He called me five times the other day. I'm trying to tell him it's over, you are out of the tournament, go home.''

Sports of The Times; Friend Gets Tangled in Coaches' Rivalry[/QU
OTE]]

First highlight----Geno said those words to His players from 1990 maybe earlier--SEE what the defense will give you, then take it. Second Highlight---Geno has had some funny lines, this is one of his best.

Wow! Some memory, some digging! Yea, Harry was Pats new "friend" . I know Pat used some form of the Motion and Harry spent weeks, maybe more, teaching Pat's team the "motion". As good a friend as H.P. was to Geno's -Pat was not HIS enemy; Geno never held this against Harry --but joked about it because it filled a lot of news print at the time.

I always wondered about Harry's knowledge of the "motion"; his own team was pretty stagnant. Harry's team would nearly walk to half court--two or 3 passes then the offensive player would turn her back to Uconn and back down as far as she could get, if opens she'd shoot, if not she's throw it beyond the arc and someone would heave a 3. Funny thing: Harry
actually beat Uconn a few times.

I liked/like Uconn playing Tn Vols they were always the best of games. One Rutgers game stays with me with a bad taste: The one where RU was nip and tuck with Tn and the clock screwed up and it was WRONGly adjusted to give Pats team the win---everyone watching knew it,

Reaction Score
Then there was Harry and the neck tie. Know what I'm talking about? Villanova gave UConn fits so Pat Summitt wanted some of that. The rumor at the time was that she wanted Harry to teach her the motion offense (she could hardly ask Geno!). Here's an article that describes Harry and Pat's relationship. Jensen: Villanova's Perretta knew the legendary Pat Summitt like few others

Sports of The Times; Friend Gets Tangled in Coaches' Rivalry
Props to Biff
upload_2017-12-8_11-22-52.png

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Did Pat actually ever try to use any of the stuff Harry showed her?

Reaction Score
Thanks, kicker, you saved me the time of looking this up. A true Biffworks classic!
Geno had the, "I'm not impressed" look down way before Mikala Maroney

upload_2017-12-8_11-38-3.png

Reaction Score
Did Pat actually ever try to use any of the stuff Harry showed her?
She tried, but IMO she may have not been recruiting players with the required smarts to pull it off. Probably takes a few seasons to fully develop. Biff's pic was from 2003. Suspect that after she got Candace Parker (freshman in 2005) she just stopped worrying about it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom