donovan to duke | The Boneyard

donovan to duke

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Really wanted Jadyn but no go. She may end up the best player in that class:

Donovan was never really on UConn’s radar. However, she was on ND’s radar up until tonight, when Irish fans learned the disappointing news. While there are still a number of talented, uncommitted players in the 2023 Class, ND does not have a single commitment from a top 50 recruit (UConn has 3), and only 1 in the top 100.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Kara has really been able to attract recruits and transfers. Can she actually do something with it now? We will see
That's the whole thing. She's been given a ton of goodwill. She certainly still has some time, but her first 1 1/4 year or whatever you want to call that first season aren't all that much to write home about. At some point soon she's gonna have to start proving the hype isn't based on nothing.

Reaction Score
Kara has really been able to attract recruits and transfers. Can she actually do something with it now? We will see

This is the question. I think this is the year to show what she’s got

Reaction Score
That's the whole thing. She's been given a ton of goodwill. She certainly still has some time, but her first 1 1/4 year or whatever you want to call that first season aren't all that much to write home about. At some point soon she's gonna have to start proving the hype isn't based on nothing.

I get what you’re saying but her team was filled with players that weren’t hers or transfers. Now we should see as this is her recruiting class this year

Reaction Score
Correct 1 1/4 year. That better darn young.

Reaction Score
She sounds like a good pick up for Duke. With quality coaching, there isn't much of a reason why Duke can't be Stanford of the east with their academic reputation and tradition. I think the jury is still very much out on Lawson as a coach but I wouldn't be surprised to see her be very successful.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I get what you’re saying but her team was filled with players that weren’t hers or transfers. Now we should see as this is her recruiting class this year
Look at the immediate impact of Mulkey at LSU and Baranczyk at Oklahoma. Neither had to time to fill a team with "their" players, yet both programs had a huge improvement in year 1. Lawson might get things rolling, but she was declared a good coach as soon as she took the job, with almost no coaching experience whatsoever at that point. How do people know she's a good coach?

Anyway, this is a new era of massive turnover from year to year with the transfer portal free for all, so a bunch of coaches are coaching new to them players every season.

Reaction Score
Look at the immediate impact of Mulkey at LSU and Baranczyk at Oklahoma. Neither had to time to fill a team with "their" players, yet both programs had a huge improvement in year 1. Lawson might get things rolling, but she was declared a good coach as soon as she took the job, with almost no coaching experience whatsoever at that point. How do people know she's a good coach?

Anyway, this is a new era of massive turnover from year to year with the transfer portal free for all, so a bunch of coaches are coaching new to them players every season.
You have touched on something I've thought the past few years. Lawson has an incredible mind and will likely succeed no matter what she does. She was a major talent on ESPN who showed no interest in coaching until she did one year as a Celtics assistant, then got the Duke job. That's a pretty fast climb for anyone even with her pedigree.

I do think she will be an improvement over McCallie but I'm not sure she will get Duke back to the Goestenkors level in the near future. It's far too early to tell though. I will be glad to admit I'm wrong if she goes gangbusters in the next few years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
D
You have touched on something I've thought the past few years. Lawson has an incredible mind and will likely succeed no matter what she does. She was a major talent on ESPN who showed no interest in coaching until she did one year as a Celtics assistant, then got the Duke job. That's a pretty fast climb for anyone even with her pedigree.

I do think she will be an improvement over McCallie but I'm not sure she will get Duke back to the Goestenkors level in the near future. It's far too early to tell though. I will be glad to admit I'm wrong if she goes gangbusters in the next few years.

Some might downplay this, but she was also the coach of the US Olympics team that won the 3x3 gold medal. Per this article, she worked five years with the US 3x3 program, and this was active coaching and well appreciated by the players.

Reaction Score

I get that. But how much experience do they have over Lawson?? My point is, this is now the time to show if Lawson is a good coach or not.

Reaction Score
D

Some might downplay this, but she was also the coach of the US Olympics team that won the 3x3 gold medal. Per this article, she worked five years with the US 3x3 program, and this was active coaching and well appreciated by the players.

I believe one of Donavan's reasons for choosing Duke over ND besides academics were the fact that Kara has had Team USA experience coaching . I knew this would pay off for her one day with recruiting and so it begins.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@triaddukefan and @CamrnCrz1974 must be very happy campers because academic big time ballers are starting to pick Duke again.

"I chose Duke for a number of reasons, most notably that Duke academics is second to none...."

Is Donovan at #3 in ESPN rankings the highest rated recruit to pick Duke since Elizabeth Williams who was #2?

Reaction Score
The issue were far beyond transfer and players that weren't hers. She inherited an extremely toxic environment that had poisoned the morale of staff and players for years. Now that the ghost are gone, I agree, we will see what she can do.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
booooo now triad gonna be cocky, jk congrats to him. Unc vs Duke games better be on ntl tv now for the men and women.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Cocky? Never. I prefer to call it Bullish. :)

@triaddukefan and @CamrnCrz1974 must be very happy campers because academic big time ballers are starting to pick Duke again.

"I chose Duke for a number of reasons, most notably that Duke academics is second to none...."

Is Donovan at #3 in ESPN rankings the highest rated recruit to pick Duke since Elizabeth Williams who was #2?

Alexis Jones was #3 in the 2012 class.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

She still has some goodwill.... but..... i plan to be in attendance for when Chapel Hill comes to Cameron next winter... and if we are on the wrong end of another arse whipping that afternoon (evening).. and I have to drive the highway home with a sour taste in my mouth.... that goodwill is gonna vanish quickly. (at least the goodwill in my household)

Reaction Score

You are right about Lawson. Getting the Duke job with zero experience is the real surprise. I don't follow Okl. but Mulkey was an existing HC with some rings on her fingers. She brought Baylor players with her to LSU and had established personal relationships with recruits like 2023 M. Williams while Lawson had none of those. No recruiting network. What she is the Duke name though and that alone should attract enough talent to raise Duke out of the trench McCaullie put them in.

Reaction Score

Goenstankors has been somewhat over rated. Much of her success at Duke had to do with being in the right spot at the right time. The competition is much tougher now. The level of womens coaching is now much better than it ever was and recruitment for top talent has become more competitive. She was like a one hit wonder who succeeded at Duke during an opportune time. I doubt she would have come close to her results at Duke with another program had she been hired after she bombed out at Texas. Time will tell about Lawson, however the Goenstankors era should not be used as a standard for her in todays WCBB reality. It is much harder to maintian a consistant level of excellence due to the level of competition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom