Donovan Mitchell on campus

Reaction Score
Sister is on a visit as well.

Attachments

• 55BB925A-E702-494D-A09F-2C1D3C0FD0E0.jpeg
    55BB925A-E702-494D-A09F-2C1D3C0FD0E0.jpeg
    480.3 KB · Views: 849
Reaction Score
Obviously I'm a UConn guy, with no connection to Louisville. I'm also a Celtics fan, zero connection to Utah. Yet I find myself loving this guy. He's a class act.

Same here, exact situation. Uconn and Celtics but LOVE Donnie and bought his jersey the night of the dunk contest. Funnily enough I actually found a tweet I tagged him in 2013ish that said he should come to UConn, and he retweeted it at the time :p

Reaction Score
I probably missed the story somewhere along the way, but anyone know why we really didn't recruit him? This was the year we initially had gotten commitments from Prince Ali and William Jackson, but I remember that at the time they both decommitted, Mitchell was still available, and I was hoping we were going to try to replace Ali and Jackson with Jalen Adams and and Mitchell. We obviously got Adams, but didn't seem to even really go after Mitchell, and Enoch ended up being the only other recruit in that class for us.

Reaction Score
Donovan Mitchell would be a better fit for the Knicks.. They messed up and drafted the kid from France, who can only play defense.. nothing more.. useless... They drafted him with a top 8 pick over Mitchell that year.. terrible decision

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Donovan Mitchell would be a better fit for the Knicks.. They messed up and drafted the kid from France, who can only play defense.. nothing more.. useless... They drafted him with a top 8 pick over Mitchell that year.. terrible decision

Kembas team took monk over him.

A lot of bad decisions with Mitchell. Who could be the best player from that draft.

Him, bam and Allen were all super underrated.

Reaction Score
I actually went up to campus today to hit the dairy bar and see how things have changed in the last couple years. Kenya and Mamadou were with what looked like a recruit. I'll peruse our targets to see if I recognize him later tonight

Reaction Score

Do you think Mitchell still has the same impact if he goes to the Knicks? This is James Dolan's Knicks we're talking about here. I should note that this is also comes from your typical pessimistic Knicks fan who refuses to believe we can have nice things anymore until it actually happens.

Reaction Score
I probably missed the story somewhere along the way, but anyone know why we really didn't recruit him? This was the year we initially had gotten commitments from Prince Ali and William Jackson, but I remember that at the time they both decommitted, Mitchell was still available, and I was hoping we were going to try to replace Ali and Jackson with Jalen Adams and and Mitchell. We obviously got Adams, but didn't seem to even really go after Mitchell, and Enoch ended up being the only other recruit in that class for us.
This is just off my memory, but I don't think Mitchell was a top prospect until his AAU season as a rising senior; he was a late bloomer in terms of becoming a national-level recruit. We were also in the driver's seat for Adams and, at the time and during that summer, thought we were in good spots with a lot of other five-star level recruits (Malik Newman, Diamond Stone, Derrick Jones, Isaiah Briscoe, etc.) Obviously a clear oversight not to go for Mitchell hard, especially after he blew up and become an upper-level four-star. Someone more plugged in than me can probably explain those scenarios better, or if they're true.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Him not ending up at UConn will forever not make sense. He hooped in state we should have kept here.

Reaction Score
This is just off my memory, but I don't think Mitchell was a top prospect until his AAU season as a rising senior; he was a late bloomer in terms of becoming a national-level recruit. We were also in the driver's seat for Adams and, at the time and during that summer, thought we were in good spots with a lot of other five-star level recruits (Malik Newman, Diamond Stone, Derrick Jones, Isaiah Briscoe, etc.) Obviously a clear oversight not to go for Mitchell hard, especially after he blew up and become an upper-level four-star. Someone more plugged in than me can probably explain those scenarios better, or if they're true.

From my recollection he was always a top 75-100 type guy. He did blow up late and became a top 50 guy, but even as a top 75-100 and local, we should’ve been all over him. I also think I remember some mutual interest early that seemed to fade...pretty big KO miss.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
From my recollection he was always a top 75-100 type guy. He did blow up late and became a top 50 guy, but even as a top 75-100 and local, we should’ve been all over him. I also think I remember some mutual interest early that seemed to fade...pretty big KO miss.

They offered him pretty early - he took in a couple of UConn games, including the one in Bridgeport.

Just didn't work out.

Reaction Score

Huge KO miss.

And about 50-75 other coaches :eek:

Reaction Score
I actually went up to campus today to hit the dairy bar and see how things have changed in the last couple years. Kenya and Mamadou were with what looked like a recruit. I'll peruse our targets to see if I recognize him later tonight
Can't say for sure but I think it was AJ Griffin. Probably 60% confident on that. Only saw them for ~20 seconds. He was a young looking black kid probably 6'5"ish. Wasn't wearing any UConn gear.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
i think mick was one of the first high major to offer. i remember being pretty excited about him at the time. think it was us and providence mainly recruiting him.

then like the next AAU evaluation period he balled out of control and that pretty much was it for mick's pursuit.

think he has to be one of the fastest risers ive seen in a while. went from borderline top 100 kid to legit NBA lead dog in like 3 years.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Can't say for sure but I think it was AJ Griffin. Probably 60% confident on that. Only saw them for ~20 seconds. He was a young looking black kid probably 6'5"ish. Wasn't wearing any UConn gear.
If it was Mamadou - could it have been his brother Hassan?

Reaction Score

So did the Mavs and Kings and Hornets and Pistons. No one saw Mitchell coming, but nice hot take.

Reaction Score
Come on man. He was a CT kid...that's the whole point of the post. Don't be obtuse.

Obtuse? Hilarious. CT kid? Funny too.

Elmsford NY who prepped in CT but had ties.

CT kids Ryan Gomes and Kris Dunn are "CT kids".

Reaction Score
Obtuse? Hilarious. CT kid? Funny too.

Elmsford NY who prepped in CT but had ties.

CT kids Ryan Gomes and Kris Dunn are "CT kids".

Sort of beyond the point. He spend a ton of time in CT and had serious ties here. You can't just loop 50-75 other schools in here and have it make sense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom