Donovan Clingan taking leadership role, expanding his game | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan taking leadership role, expanding his game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“He's got to get in the best shape of his life,” coach Dan Hurley said after the Huskies’ first summer workout Monday at the Werth Champions Center. “He wouldn't have played 28 minutes, or 25 minutes, at the efficiency he was playing at. The analytics love Donovan on the court in those 14 minutes. He's got to get in such great shape that we can get him to 28 minutes and not lose the efficiency that he's playing at because he's fatigued, or he's not running as well, not rolling as well, not covering court as well. That is what was so unique about Donovan. People were surprised at just how well he moved around the court for somebody his size. If that deteriorates because of bad conditioning or over-playing him minutes, it's not good.”

Alternate access:

Donovan Clingan taking leadership role, expanding his game. What that means for UConn men's basketball team

Reaction Score
I'm hoping Hurley retained the cemetery hill sprints but if not, time to bring em back

Reaction Score
I think Donovan has that killer instinct and wants to dominate and not just play good. The kid is special.

Reaction Score
I remember the coaching staff describing how this past year, Adama was the leader by example and AJax was the vocal leader. I can see Clingan sliding into that AJax role next season.

Reaction Score
The quoted part is the right approach. It is going to be an adjustment for Clingan. Some of the clueless who were advocating for Clingan starting over Sanogo, even as late as January, didn’t appreciate how unique his role was. He was massively successful because his minutes were tailored perfectly. He could come in and wreak havoc and foul more than was prudent because of his role. I expect him to be dominant this season, but it might take a minute to settle in and get his approach right in game time.

Reaction Score
28 minutes clingan leaves a lot of time for center. We just have so many guys. 4 guard lineup etc. We have 6'7 pg. We can adjust. Play karaban at center, bet he might have a post game. Im excited. Wish we played Purdue. We are a monster. Should beat Marquette by 30 each time. Reffing yes I know.

Reaction Score
28 minutes clingan leaves a lot of time for center. We just have so many guys. 4 guard lineup etc. We have 6'7 pg. We can adjust. Play karaban at center, bet he might have a post game. Im excited. Wish we played Purdue. We are a monster. Should beat Marquette by 30 each time. Reffing yes I know.
I'm all for the hype, but Marquette will be terrific. Indeed, the Big East, at least 1-7, will be murderers' row.

Finished 4th in the league last year, and yet won the championship. Could happen again!

Reaction Score
I don't think you will see Karaban at Center. It will be Johnson and Singare sharing the duties there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
“He's got to get in the best shape of his life,” coach Dan Hurley said after the Huskies’ first summer workout Monday at the Werth Champions Center. “He wouldn't have played 28 minutes, or 25 minutes, at the efficiency he was playing at. The analytics love Donovan on the court in those 14 minutes. He's got to get in such great shape that we can get him to 28 minutes and not lose the efficiency that he's playing at because he's fatigued, or he's not running as well, not rolling as well, not covering court as well. That is what was so unique about Donovan. People were surprised at just how well he moved around the court for somebody his size. If that deteriorates because of bad conditioning or over-playing him minutes, it's not good.”

Alternate access:

Donovan Clingan taking leadership role, expanding his game. What that means for UConn men's basketball team

Perfectly captures my view. Last year's Clingan couldn't play 25 and be effective. You could see him dragging any time he was on the court extended periods without a break. Glad to see they both know and are working on this. I projected a 25 average, but that will vary game to game. I'd rather have him be better in 24 minutes than add 6 minutes where he isn't effective. Johnson can back him up just fine. The change of pace there is an adjustment for the opponent.

Reaction Score
I don't think you will see Karaban at Center. It will be Johnson and Singare sharing the duties there.
This is a concern. Singare is rawer than sushi and Johnson missed a large part of the season because of injury and was a nonfactor. He absolutely has to have an impact this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom