Donny Marshall on Fox pre-show "KO didn't sign up for | The Boneyard

Donny Marshall on Fox pre-show "KO didn't sign up for

Reaction Score
this at UConn"....in summary he was saying KO took UConn job in BigEast not AAC and that UConn will have a tough time keeping him in this conference. Not totally true because the demise of the Big East for UConn was on the wall when KO took over in 2012-2013. He also took a mild shot at past AD's for not getting us into P5 conf.

Basic takeaway I had is that UConn is lucky to have KO so all the critics should imagine life & recruiting without KO....that I agree with.

Reaction Score
I doubt Ollie would leave because we are in the AAC.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Weren't both the 2016 and 17 classes pretty highly rated? UConn was struggling because they are adjusting to an 8 man rotation missing arguably 3 of their top 4 scholarship players.

Reaction Score
Weren't both the 2016 and 17 classes pretty highly rated? UConn was struggling because they are adjusting to an 8 man rotation missing arguably 3 of their top 4 scholarship players.
I agree, not saying Donny is totally right about recruiting but imagine the recruiting without KO.

Reaction Score
I doubt Ollie would leave because we are in the AAC.
Before today I didn't think KO would ever leave, but I watched pre game show and was shocked what Donny had to say. He's close to KO and is not making crap up.

We shouldn't take it for granted that KO will always be here. We are blessed to have him. We need to move bball to BEast and negotiate with AAC to keep football in AAC.

Football drives the bus, and we've made some strong moves with OC coaching hire, but bball is also very important.

We should work with AAC to have several bball home and home series with AAC schools and have our football program stay in AAC.

Reaction Score
Donny wants UConn back in the Big East....just reiterated that in the post-game....not going to happen anytime soon or ever.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I've said all along Ollie is not going anywhere, and quite frankly, this team is jelling and I absolutely respect the job he's doing in 16/17

He's obviously reading the Boneyard because he's fixing all the problems

We're rebounding
We're scoring in the post
We're playing better defense
We're running offense
We're even scoring out of timeouts

Thanks Kevin, now take shots from RP and get them to KF

Reaction Score
I've said all along Ollie is not going anywhere, and quite frankly, this team is jelling and I absolutely respect the job he's doing in 16/17
I don't think KO is going anywhere either anytime soon but the major problem remains that Donny was talking about....in the AAC you can't have a mediocre season and get an at-large & recruiting is harder. Whereas in the Big East, ACC, BG10 etc you can have a so-so season and not sweat selection sunday.....the pressure is tremendous in the pre-season & conference for KO not to lose....takes a toll at some point.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
this at UConn"....in summary he was saying KO took UConn job in BigEast not AAC and that UConn will have a tough time keeping him in this conference. Not totally true because the demise of the Big East for UConn was on the wall when KO took over in 2012-2013. He also took a mild shot at past AD's for not getting us into P5 conf.

Basic takeaway I had is that UConn is lucky to have KO so all the critics should imagine life & recruiting without KO....that I agree with.
Hey lets win the AAC before we talk any more about this

C

Chief00

I know there was some Big East discussion regarding basketball at Big 12 realignment time - if we could play football in the AAC and basketball in the Big East - the financials would be better and as would the fan interest. If 2 other AAC teams went to the Big 12 I really think we would have moved basketball.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If two teams went to the Big 12, ESPN would have cut the AAC contract in half or actually cut it loose. It would have been a dire situation and I have no doubt UConn would have had to do something drastic.

Reaction Score
If Kevin Ollie can't win in the AAC then he should resign his + 3 million dollar a year contract so the school can find a coach who can win in the AAC.

BTW Ollie signed his new contract in 2014, so he did in fact sign up for this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Kevin Ollie can't win in the AAC then he should resign his + 3 million dollar a year contract so the school can find a coach who can win in the AAC.

BTW Ollie signed his new contract in 2014, so he did in fact sign up for this.

Thanks for the input!

Reaction Score
I know there was some Big East discussion regarding basketball at Big 12 realignment time - if we could play football in the AAC and basketball in the Big East - the financials would be better and as would the fan interest. If 2 other AAC teams went to the Big 12 I really think we would have moved basketball.

UConn athletics is walking a tightrope right now, we need to grow the football program to be attractive to a P5 conference when the time comes while staying in the national spotlight in bball. Until recently I was firmly in the stay in the AAC camp, a couple of things however have led me to question this thinking. The first one was the B12 clown show this past fall, it left me wondering if there will ever be a P5 spot for us, I just don't know if we can wait another 6 or 7 years and hope that the B12 blows up or by some miracle ND joins the ACC as a full member and they add us as 16. the second thing is the unexpected(at least on my part) success of the new BE, right now they're a much better BB league then the AAC. As long as KO can keep recruiting at a high level, we should be ok, but if for some reason, be it injuries, bad luck or whatever we should slip up and miss the tournament a couple of years in a row, I'll start to panic.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Put Gilbert and Larrier out there with the present incarnations of Adams Jackson and Facey and we can beat anyone. Arguably the injuries led to Jacksons emergence but whatever. In doing this you have Purvis and Brimah playing suitable roles as energizers off the pine. injuries.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom