Donald Brown to the Pats?!? | The Boneyard

Donald Brown to the Pats?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Less than an enthusiastic reaction on WEEI just now.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Less than an enthusiastic reaction on WEEI just now.

He is being signed as a backup/insuranc policy, right? No one expects him to be a feature back anymore.

I don't know why any one would be upset with a guy who stays healthy, doesn't fumble and catch the ball too.

Husky25

Reaction Score
He is being signed as a backup/insuranc policy, right? No one expects him to be a feature back anymore.

I don't know why any one would be upset with a guy who stays healthy, doesn't fumble and catch the ball too.
I would think that is the case. Dion Lewis is supposed be back and I think they still have James White. I can't really agree with "stays healthy." He's only played all 16 games twice in seven seasons and has never had more than 134 carries or 645 yards in a season. So I can't imagine he was brought in for long money.

Brown's best year was his walk year with Indy 3 seasons ago. If he has that sort of year as a reserve back with the Patriots, I'm all for it.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
It would be really great if his new residence means a few visits to the old alma mater during the year. He might not be an NFL star, but he certainly was a star at UConn and he grew turned that into a solid professional career... it can't hurt to have the young Huskies looking up to him. I hope I get to bump into him at a game one Saturday this fall!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He's a good fit for what the Pats need. They missed out on all the bigger free agent backs and will likely draft one.

Husky25

Reaction Score
He's a good fit for what the Pats need. They missed out on all the bigger free agent backs and will likely draft one.
I haven't been following Free Agency as closing this year. The Redskins have been going about it "The Patriot Way" for a change, which is nice. The Big name backs expect to start (Ivory), are on the wrong side of 30 (Forte + Foster), or are not involved in the passing game (Morris). The Patriots already have their opening day starter. Donald Brown on short money is a win-win for them.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The Pats showed interest in Brown out of college but just didn't fall far enough in the 1st round. I think he's a prototype "Patriot guy" - smart, team-first, doesn't fumble, can block and, most importantly, is low-risk cheap. If things don't work out in training camp, they release him and don't take a big cap hit. If things do work out in training camp, he becomes a decent 3rd down back option who can play special teams and never sulk that he's on the sideline while Lewis or White is on the field.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
The only time i'd ever say " i hope they win one"

Reaction Score
I've always had a gut feeling DB would end up in NE one day and find himself reborn as a player. So much of who you become as a player revolves around the situation you are in. DB can do a lot of things the Pats can take advantage of. I hope this turns into something special at some point.

Reaction Score
I've always had a gut feeling DB would end up in NE one day and find himself reborn as a player. So much of who you become as a player revolves around the situation you are in. DB can do a lot of things the Pats can take advantage of. I hope this turns into something special at some point.

I always wanted him in New England and I think right now this is a perfect match for both Brown and the Patriots. The one piece New England was missing last year was the Vereen type running back that could block, run and pass catch. Brown is good at all three and like Vereen I think he'll have certain plays/packages designed for his skill set. I know Blount and Lewis will be ahead of him officially on the depth chart, but I definitely see him being used at least a few times a game.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Well they shocked prognosticators by failing to draft a RB. That suggests to me that the think more highly of Brown than many may believe. Lewis certainly came out of nowhere for them, and Blount excelled compared to his prior stops as well. There is a certain skill set they seek. White has been flat out great in the passing game, so I think he sticks, but won't carry the ball much at all. Brown is likely a better runner than Bolden, but may need to do something on special teams.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Well they shocked prognosticators by failing to draft a RB. That suggests to me that the think more highly of Brown than many may believe. Lewis certainly came out of nowhere for them, and Blount excelled compared to his prior stops as well. There is a certain skill set they seek. White has been flat out great in the passing game, so I think he sticks, but won't carry the ball much at all. Brown is likely a better runner than Bolden, but may need to do something on special teams.
I think they feel like they can pick up a RB off the street and have him perform better than all but a 1st or 2nd round pick. It's the position that the Pats value the least.

Husky25

Reaction Score
As long as the ball pressure is kept in the 12.2/12.3 psi range before kickoff, there is little chance of fumbling, and the Patriots' guy is the best in the business. He can do 11 of 12 balls in 90 seconds or less while taking a leak and without a gauge. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom