Don Orsillo getting canned? | The Boneyard

Don Orsillo getting canned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Replaced by that blowhole Dave O'Brien? That's a disgrace!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
While I don't think Orsillo should be forced out, but what exactly makes O'Brien a blowhole? When I hear the Sox on the radio I so prefer his voice over Castiglione.

For some reason, NESN thinks the commentators drive ratings.

Reaction Score
Dave O'Brien is awful and at least Orsillo is entertaining with Jerry at times. Fun Wah hits Cherington and the announcers too LOL

Reaction Score
Jerry Remy is still the Sox color guy? I was shocked to see this, just assumed he would have resigned a couple of years ago.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Fun Wah didn't hit Cherington. He put together 2 (potentially 3) last place teams in 4 years. I doubt Orsillo got tossed under the bus either. I believe his contract is up. The Red Sox own NESN and want a good play-by-play guy, which O'Brien is. Why they decided to leak it with 5 weeks left in the season makes no sense, but at the same time, there is no way Orsillo is not doing play-by-play for a team in a major sport next season.

Separate, but related, how can someone state Dave O'Brien is awful, but think Curt Schilling brings something to the table? First of all, they do different jobs. O'Brien does play-by-play. Schilling is a color commentator and color guys of his level are a dime a dozen. Orsillo has great chemistry with Remy, but Remy is reducing his workload to about 40 games and has been away for much of the last 3 years, whether it be due to illness or tragedy.

At any rate, as long as we are throwing stones, at least Henry isn't replacing Orsillo with John Sterling or Susan Waldman.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At any rate, as long as we are throwing stones, at least Henry isn't replacing Orsillo with John Sterling or Susan Waldman.

I think O'Brien is easily Sterling-level bad.

Reaction Score
Fun Wah didn't hit Cherington. He put together 2 (potentially 3) last place teams in 4 years. I doubt Orsillo got tossed under the bus either. I believe his contract is up. The Red Sox own NESN and want a good play-by-play guy, which O'Brien is. Why they decided to leak it with 5 weeks left in the season makes no sense, but at the same time, there is no way Orsillo is not doing play-by-play for a team in a major sport next season.

Separate, but related, how can someone state Dave O'Brien is awful, but think Curt Schilling brings something to the table? First of all, they do different jobs. O'Brien does play-by-play. Schilling is a color commentator and color guys of his level are a dime a dozen. Orsillo has great chemistry with Remy, but Remy is reducing his workload to about 40 games and has been away for much of the last 3 years, whether it be due to illness or tragedy.

God please take Susan and Johnny Time, please. No stones here I agree wholeheartedly. And you know what I was thinking of the wrong guy with O'Brien I was thinking of the Arnold guy I believe who I could listen to at night in order to be assured of a good sleep - my bad not sure who Dave is.

Not a lot of GM's won a WS a few years ago though. They have sucked but not all on him. But hey, moves need to be made.

Husky25

Reaction Score
my bad not sure who Dave is.

Dave O'Brien called play-by-play for the Women's Final 4 with Doris Burke doing color. O'Brien is currently the 2nd guy in the Sox' radio booth next to Castiglione and he does some national games as well, IIRC. He's solid.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Separate, but related, how can someone state Dave O'Brien is awful, but think Curt Schilling brings something to the table?

Curt Schilling and the rest of the Sunday Night crew are terrible, to the point where I hate the Mets getting the 8:05 slot.

And I don't think I really know who O'Brien is but this is the first call of his I found on Youtube and it seems to be pretty solid from an outside fan's perspective.

Reaction Score
Curt Schilling and the rest of the Sunday Night crew are terrible, to the point where I hate the Mets getting the 8:05 slot.

And I don't think I really know who O'Brien is but this is the first call of his I found on Youtube and it seems to be pretty solid from an outside fan's perspective.

As a crew they have no chemistry whatsoever, sometimes at a loss for words. But The Schill can point out some critical baseball stuff at times for sure, especially form the pitching perspective.

Ok I know you've been around long enough too know I am not even hitting the play button on a Ortiz HR right? ;)

Reaction Score
Dave O'Brien called play-by-play for the Women's Final 4 with Doris Burke doing color. O'Brien is currently the 2nd guy in the Sox' radio booth next to Castiglione and he does some national games as well, IIRC. He's solid.

Oh that little red headed leprechaun dude? Funny can't see him doing baseball but it takes all kinds. Never though Bob Papa could do golf either lol

Husky25

Reaction Score
Oh that little red headed leprechaun dude? Funny can't see him doing baseball but it takes all kinds. Never though Bob Papa could do golf either lol
No. That's Doris Burke!!! :eek: O'Brien has dark hair and glasses.
search for 2015 UConn Women's Final 4. The full game is on Youtube.

Last edited:

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
As a crew they have no chemistry whatsoever, sometimes at a loss for words. But The Schill can point out some critical baseball stuff at times for sure, especially form the pitching perspective.

Ok I know you've been around long enough too know I am not even hitting the play button on a Ortiz HR right? ;)
Lol fair enough. I guess it's for other people's reference then. (As an aside, it took me a while to remember you were a Yankees guy since I read your handle as MA UConn fan and assume you're from Mass.)

As for the baseball stuff from Schilling, that's understandable. That's why so many color guys are former players. The Mets broadcast with Darling and Hernandez can be a sh_tshow of a comedy (particularly with Hernandez), but when it comes down to talking baseball it's great to have them both there to break down pitching and hitting, respectively. They do also have a ton of chemistry with Cohen who is a phenomenal play by play guy. Darling loses a little of his pizzazz when he does national games for TBS because that chemistry isn't there.

Reaction Score
Lol fair enough. I guess it's for other people's reference then. (As an aside, it took me a while to remember you were a Yankees guy since I read your handle as MA UConn fan and assume you're from Mass.)

As for the baseball stuff from Schilling, that's understandable. That's why so many color guys are former players. The Mets broadcast with Darling and Hernandez can be a sh_tshow of a comedy (particularly with Hernandez), but when it comes down to talking baseball it's great to have them both there to break down pitching and hitting, respectively. They do also have a ton of chemistry with Cohen who is a phenomenal play by play guy. Darling loses a little of his pizzazz when he does national games for TBS because that chemistry isn't there.

Yeah Cohen is excellent, one of the best.

Live in Mass from CT but all good!

Reaction Score
While I don't think Orsillo should be forced out, but what exactly makes O'Brien a blowhole? When I hear the Sox on the radio I so prefer his voice over Castiglione.

For some reason, NESN thinks the commentators drive ratings.
Yeah. Somehow it couldn't be because the team sucks /has sucked 3 of the last 4 and people stopped watching a week after the all star game this year.
The losing is finally cutting into their bottom line.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yeah. Somehow it couldn't be because the team sucks /has sucked 3 of the last 4 and people stopped watching a week after the all star game this year.
The losing is finally cutting into their bottom line.
Fans stop watching because the team isn't winning, not because Orsillo's repartee stopped being witty.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
My guess is that this may be about contract negotiations. There is no reason to can Orsillo and he won't be unemployed very long.

Reaction Score
Word is he may be going to San Diego - tough place to settle after getting let go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom