Don Brown possibly considered as uMess coach | The Boneyard

Don Brown possibly considered as uMess coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NO. People forget that this is the first year of Brown's system. Give him and the players another year to work out the kinks and his defense will be even better than Orlando's was.

Reaction Score
I heard PP, Deleone and Brown were being considered as a team.

UMASS is doing a geriatrics study so they figured it would kill two birds with one stone.

As long as Brown and Deleone reminded PP where and when the study took place I think it would work.

Reaction Score
Count me as someone who does not want to see Brown leave. Supposedly he is a good recruiter and the Maryland D improved significantly in year 2 under his scheme. I have seen enough quarters of dominant D this year to believe the performance will improve and we all know an inept offense can crush the spirit and stamina of a defensive squad.

and our most important defensive player has played 4 1/2 games this year.

Reaction Score
Count me as someone who does not want to see Brown leave. Supposedly he is a good recruiter and the Maryland D improved significantly in year 2 under his scheme. I have seen enough quarters of dominant D this year to believe the performance will improve and we all know an inept offense can crush the spirit and stamina of a defensive squad.

And yet, that wasn't an issue down the stretch last year, was it?

Reaction Score

and our most important defensive player has played 3 1/2 games this year.

+1 on Coach Brown..

Reaction Score

Our D almost won the Vandy game with no help from the offense, Our D produced how many three and outs against Iowa State in the first half of that game? Were we not in the WV game for three quarters? The D was not the reason we lost last week either. We lose against Buffalo if not for a great defensive performance.

I count two bad games for the D this year, Western Michigan and Pittsburgh.

Reaction Score

No problem last year. Can always count on FG kicker going 2 for 2 from 50 yards to tie and win games. Who needs offensive touchdowns.

Reaction Score
Brown really needs to be given more time. Man, some people would be changing coaches on a week to week basis.

I hardly have a history of being impatient with coaches. I'm being patient with P, although I'm skeptical, and I'm being patient with Deleone. I never demanded Ambrose's scalp, or anyone elses. Brown inherited a "plug and play" defense. he returned nine friggin starters, 4 of whom were someone's 2d team all conference or better (Reyes, Moore, Blidi and Junior). And he returned the Associate Head Coach for Defense.

There was no reason to do anything schematically that wasn't going to make this unit better right away. And yet, statistically, he did enough that against a far weaker schedule the results are much worse.

His failure speaks for itself. Having said that, I wouldn't fire him. I would never fire any one that quickly because I believe when you make a hire you need to give someone a fair chance. But would I be pleased if he took a better offer? You bet I would.

Reaction Score
No problem last year. Can always count on FG kicker going 2 for 2 from 50 yards to tie and win games. Who needs offensive touchdowns.

Somehow, I think you are missing the fact that you are making my exact point for me. That the excuse he's giving the D for this year existed, in spades, last year.

Reaction Score

Don't forget the touchdowns you need to score while on defense and kicking.

That was funny. Thanks. It's a team game. All three phases need to contribute and compliment each other.

I posted a clip I found on youtube elsewhere,- a review of the UCOnn 1980 season, under the other one I wrote about toughness - i hope people watch it start to finish. SOme really neat stuff in there, not just the football plays on the field either, ESPN broadcasting UConn football? happened a long time before the big east conference started playign football.

The concept of scoring lots of touchdowns on offense, as to being pretty important in actually putting up more points on the board than your opponen. - what a thing. the concept of building and offense with multiple backs and receivers around a strong offensive line,a nd a QB that can run and throw. Wow - as if this "spread" offense these days and dual threat QB vs. pro-set offense was something new. go check out that video.

As for don brown, if he got an offer he couldn't refuse, to get be a head coach again, and he goes elsewhere, so be it.

Personally, I hope he stays at UConn, and stays right where he is, who knows, he's the young guy in the group, maybe he's got a shot at a head coach position again in the future, right here. We need all the guys we can find that know the region, the culture, the game and can recruit.

Reaction Score
first, it sounds like they just listed any UMass coach who went on. I'm surprised they don't have McPherson listed as a potential head coach.

I agree with bl that Brown didn't need to make major changes in the defense this year, but I also suspect that he and Pasquoloni just made changes because they were new. This wasn't like the offense that lost so many critical parts. I have read that Brown's first year at Maryland was not good either, but by his second, he had one of the better defenses in the ACC. So maybe there is hope.

Reaction Score
To be clear, I'm not calling for Brown to be fired.

I would be upset if Foley left. I would not be upset if Brown did.

Freescooter does make a good point though. Brown's defense at UM really struggled in year one before becoming one of the best defenses in the ACC last year. I'm willing to give him (and P and Deleone) time.

However, I do think the biggest mistake the staff has made (as a whole) is trying to put their stamp on the team too quickly without any regard for the personnel they have. I think Dez said this in one of his posts recently and I agree with it 100%.....they are trying to put a square peg in a round hole. The result is an underachieving team.

Reaction Score
NO. People forget that this is the first year of Brown's system. Give him and the players another year to work out the kinks and his defense will be even better than Orlando's was.
+1

I agree. Maryland's defense did much better in Brown's second year. I hope he stays.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
We don't need turn over in the coordinators. I don't think it makes sense to compare to last year's team. First of all the 2 players that left both were in NFL camps this year. It wasn't just any 2 starters. Plus, you can't expect a new coach to come in and play the same scheme as the last coach. He will play the scheme he is comfortable with and the one that has worked for him. That meant even the returning 9 starters had to start over.

I am not worried about Brown..I hope he comes back. I saw enough glimpses of a dominating defense that I have faith year two will be very different.

Reaction Score
However, I do think the biggest mistake the staff has made (as a whole) is trying to put their stamp on the team too quickly without any regard for the personnel they have. I think Dez said this in one of his posts recently and I agree with it 100%.....they are trying to put a square peg in a round hole. The result is an underachieving team.

This. I can forgive a lot of this on offense, because they inherited a unit that is so far from where we need to be that I can cut them slack, even though I think more could have been achieved with fewer changes. I just don't feel that way about the defense. When you inherit what they did, the first rule has to be to not screw it up. Not to prove your way is better than the last guy's way.

But, as I said, I wasn't urging we can Brown. And I hope he has the improvement year to year he had at Maryland. But I do view this year, for him, as a clear fail.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Follow your dream job Don!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I'm speechless. We returned 9 starters? Hmmm, let's see we graduated 3 LBs, and lost a safety to academics, but sure go w/your math to make a point. We lost the starting MLB before game 1. We played 1/2 the year w/o 2 all-conference performers. We have NO ability to switch in LBs, as the backups are true frosh (and when you play a truie frosh here, you get b* slapped for burnming a red shirt and jeopardizing our 2016 BCS hopes). We lost a decent backup DE to 1AA. To that, we introduced 2 RSFr to play meainigful roles, including starting games. But we'll stick with the math that says we returned 9 starters. In that parallel universe Agbor is our starting safety and we should never see Brown, Jones or Jennings.

Aside from the math, we introduced new schemes. Too fast? I'll debate that as one could reasonably argue we did. Folks act like the 10 UConn D was like the Steel Curtain. I guess that was another team getting walloped by Michigan, Temple, Rutgers and others. This was the same D that had the HC conclude he'd rather put his faith in the O on our own 19 on 4th down in the most important game then trust his D. They were good folks, but they weren't great.

Look at the D in the beginnnig of the year when it was fresh, playing against bowl teams Vandy and ISU. Look at them when they are on the field for 35 minutes against Louisville.

Are they perfect, no. Are they good, yes. Anyone who would not be troubled to see this DC leave is simply so jaded by this season that they are losing rationale thought and has not a clue what either they are seeing this year or hope to see next (maybe take a second and think what it would do to kids to learn a 3rd scheme in 3 years).

Idiotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul