Don Brown and Yale? | The Boneyard

Don Brown and Yale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
.. say it ain't so... Well nothing etched in stone... footballscoop.com is reporting they are high on him and Bob Shoop.. Hopefully coach Brown sticks around...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i was actually thinking foley might get a look.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
He was already coach of a higher profile 1AA program while at UMass. Why would he leave UConn for Yale?

Reaction Score
If he senses our D will have a chance to be great he'll stay.

Reaction Score
There was a bit of a grin in my statement but It would be sending a message, don't you think? He's been a head coach before.

Reaction Score
There was a bit of a grin in my statement but It would be sending a message, don't you think? He's been a head coach before.

No, it wouldn't be sending a message. Being a Head Coach at Yale is a step up from being a coordinator at UConn in terms of prestige and money, plus he gets to do things his way. That is not a knock at UConn, but until the day we pay our coordinators what the SEC pays theirs, coordinators will leave for good I-AA jobs.

As for UMass being a more prestigious job than Yale, please. More competitive level of football -- yes. More prestigious? At which institution do you believe you get the better opportunity to influence the lives of young men who can really make a major contribution to society?

Reaction Score
Sure being a head coach pays more, but if you feel you'll have a great defense and can make some noise, chances are you'll have a shot at a better job than Yale. He's not leaving if he senses big things for the Huskies next year.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
No, it wouldn't be sending a message. Being a Head Coach at Yale is a step up from being a coordinator at UConn in terms of prestige and money, plus he gets to do things his way. That is not a knock at UConn, but until the day we pay our coordinators what the SEC pays theirs, coordinators will leave for good I-AA jobs.

As for UMass being a more prestigious job than Yale, please. More competitive level of football -- yes. More prestigious? At which institution do you believe you get the better opportunity to influence the lives of young men who can really make a major contribution to society?
First off, did anyone say prestige? I said higher profile. UMass is. They play in the best conference in 1AA. They have won the national championship and he coached them to the runner-up spot already. As a highly competitive guy, why exactly does he want to coach a team with a 10-game schedule and no postseason? Because he can recruit kids with 1400 SAT's whose parents drive luxury cars and slap a sexy bumper sticker on the back window of his car? If they're going to throw a boatload of money at him, then maybe he bites. Coaching an Ivy League football program is a competitive buzzkill.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I disagree pantz. Whoever the next HC at Yale is, they're not going to be hired to finish in the middle of the Ivy and go .500 against Harvard. It may not be the SEC but it is competitive in terms of pressure to win against the other schools in the league, in particular beating Harvard. If Don Brown goes there it won't be because of a sweet paycheck.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
I would agree that the next coach is not hired with a .500 record in mind. But the competitive ceiling is extremely limited. Your goals - win the Ivy, beat Harvard. You can reach those goals and still be a run-of-the-mill FCS team. It's not exactly the highest level of competition.

Reaction Score
if he ever wants to coach at a bcs level, he'll be able to show off his recruiting prowess better as a coordinator at uconn or a head coach at UMass than as a head coach of Yale.

Reaction Score
I think Brown has a shot to take over the Uconn job whem coach P mails it in. I think he has a better chance than Hughes to get the job IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how coach P lured him from Maryland.

Reaction Score
I think Brown has a shot to take over the Uconn job whem coach P mails it in. I think he has a better chance than Hughes to get the job IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how coach P lured him from Maryland.

I also think he's got an excellent chance to take over when Pasqualoni departs.

Reaction Score
We don't have an Athletic Director yet. How can anyone predict what he might be thinking?

Reaction Score
http://portal31nhr.blogspot.com/

There's no reason that candidates can't be brought in for interviews this week. Two names consistently mentioned as being targeted by Yale are Vanderbilt defensive coordinator and former Yale receiver Bob Shoop and UConn defensive coordinator Don Brown. Well, Vanderbilt's season ended with a 31-24 loss to Cincinnati in the Liberty Bowl on Saturday and UConn wasn't bowl eligible so if Shoop and/or Brown are interested, let's hope Yale moves quickly to bring them in.

Reaction Score
footballscoop.com reported Shoop is out of the running and it appears to be down to D. Brown, Kevin Kelly (G'Town HC), Tony Reno ( Harvard asst), and Dave Cecchini ( Lehigh OC ).

I seriously hope D. Brown stays in Storrs, but it doesn't sound too good... Don't want to see us go thru yet another coaching change, ESPECIALLY for our defense...We're just getting acclamated to his terminology after 12 years of Edsall ball...

Reaction Score
I don't want to see Don Brown leave, but if he does there is no need to panic, P seems to be well connected and I am confident he will bring in a solid coordinator. With both Moorehead and possibly Brown becoming head coaches hopefully other top coordinators will want to come here to build their resume's plus P seems to be the kind of head coach you would want to work for if you are a coordinator, unlike FHCRE.

Reaction Score
Yale can schedule from U. Albany, Georgetown, Lafayette. Holy Cross and such, go 4-3 inthe Ivy and have a 7-3 record every year. It might look good but I think he is better than that.

Reaction Score
I don't want to see Don Brown leave, but if he does there is no need to panic, P seems to be well connected and I am confident he will bring in a solid coordinator. With both Moorehead and possibly Brown becoming head coaches hopefully other top coordinators will want to come here to build their resume's plus P seems to be the kind of head coach you would want to work for if you are a coordinator, unlike FHCRE.

That's interesting. I have a question for you. In the relatively long period HCRE coached here, name all the coordinators who left him, and then all who left him for anything other than a I-AA coaching opportunity? I assume, based on your post, it must be a long list.

Or, you could be making stuff up because some on this board cheer anything negative about our former coach despite that stubborn thing called facts.

Reaction Score
That's interesting. I have a question for you. In the relatively long period HCRE coached here, name all the coordinators who left him, and then all who left him for anything other than a I-AA coaching opportunity? I assume, based on your post, it must be a long list.

Or, you could be making stuff up because some on this board cheer anything negative about our former coach despite that stubborn thing called facts.

I think he only lost two coordinators during his tenure: both OCs and both went D1AA HC positions. What is your point?

Reaction Score
I think he only lost two coordinators during his tenure: both OCs and both went D1AA HC positions. What is your point?

Someone posted that coordinators wouldn't want to work for Edsall but would want to work for P. I thought I was making the point that the evidence is that Edsall had no problem keeping coordinators. P would do well to produce Edsall's track record on that in a similar timeframe.

Reaction Score
it'll stink if he leaves because we kind of scrapped a year of defense to learn a new system. it'd be pretty annoying if that system leaves before we really see the fruits of our labor. personally i think if he liked being a HC that much he wouldn't have left UMass where he was very successful at 1AA, to be a DC at a middle of the road 1A school. you never know though, he has spent much of his career in the Ivy League so it may have some allure to him.

Reaction Score
Someone posted that coordinators wouldn't want to work for Edsall but would want to work for P. I thought I was making the point that the evidence is that Edsall had no problem keeping coordinators. P would do well to produce Edsall's track record on that in a similar timeframe.

You can look at it another way, too: how many coordinators left for a better job? Wilson left for HC at Columbia, Ambrose left for HC at Towson, Hughes was moved out of coordinator role and into DL/Asst Head Coach role when Orlando was elevanted from LB coach to DC, and Orlando stayed, then left for DC at FIU post Edsall.

I would consider this remarkably low turnover, but it is reaching a bit to suggest that HCRE had low coordinator turnover because he was great to work for. I think you need to have a job to move to as well.

Reaction Score

I just know if I was a coordinator I would rather work for P than Edsall. P lets his coaches coach, Edsall handcuffs them. Don Brown left Maryland to coach for P. During Edsall's tenure here how many coordinators from BCS schools left their school to coach for Edsall?

Edsall produced just two head coaches from his coordinator pool in his time at UCONN, P may have produced two in one year.

Edsall's coaching tree seems very small to me, not something he should be proud of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom