Don’t believe in basketball miracles | The Boneyard

Don’t believe in basketball miracles

Reaction Score
Some of you will take my assessment as negative. I think of it as realistic.
Assumption: When we're told a player will be out 3-5 games or 3-5 weeks take the higher number. The lower number is a hope.

When we take the floor against MD Sunday we're already missing 50+ points, sans Paige and Azzi. Add in Dorka another 10 and rebounding. Lou is playing with a foot injury and Caroline isn't scoring. That leaves Griffin, who was fantastic last night but scored 0 against Notre Dame, and a reliable Edwards. Add to that we may be without our quarterback Muhl.
What I'm getting at, despite a solid defense, we don't have the offense to score 70-80 points it takes to beat quality teams, Games are won by talent and solid play, not by miracles. (Actually last night came close to qualifying as a miracle when you consider we committed 27 turnovers, 14 in the last quarter, and still won.That means Princeton had 27 extra possessions to score, and we were deprived of 27 chances!)

Conclusion: Between now and the end of December we play 5 good teams; MD, Florida State, Seton Hall, Creighton and Marquette. As good as our coaching staff and support players are, don't be surprised if we go 2-3 in those games.

P.S. Did you notice Geno's decision to substitute Patterson in the last seconds to guard against the Princeton throw-in under their own basket? Jumping up and down Ayanna caused an errant throw that turned into a Uconn possession. Genius at work.

Reaction Score
Assumption: When we're told a player will be out 3-5 games or 3-5 weeks take the higher number. The lower number is a hope.

When we take the floor against MD Sunday we're already missing 50+ points, sans Paige and Azzi. Add in Dorka another 10 and rebounding. Lou is playing with a foot injury and Caroline isn't scoring. That leaves Griffin, who was fantastic last night but scored 0 against Notre Dame, and a reliable Edwards. Add to that we may be without our quarterback Muhl.
What I'm getting at, despite a solid defense, we don't have the offense to score 70-80 points it takes to beat quality teams, Games are won by talent and solid play, not by miracles. (Actually last night came close to qualifying as a miracle when you consider we committed 27 turnovers, 14 in the last quarter, and still won.That means Princeton had 27 extra possessions to score, and we were deprived of 27 chances!)

Conclusion: Between now and the end of December we play 5 good teams; MD, Florida State, Seton Hall, Creighton and Marquette. As good as our coaching staff and support players are, don't be surprised if we go 2-3 in those games.

P.S. Did you notice Geno's decision to substitute Patterson in the last seconds to guard against the Princeton throw-in under their own basket? Jumping up and down Ayanna caused an errant throw that turned into a Uconn possession. Genius at work.

Even Coach Geno, who has said in the past that you play with the players you have, and you don't, in effect, lament about the players who either aren't here, or who are injured, said after Princeton that he doesn't know how long this team can carry on with the lineup it has. He's not believing in miracles either.

How ironic that just two years ago, we were trying to figure out how in the world the team would find sufficient minutes to keep fifteen really good players satisfied. Now we're looking at possibly not having enough players to start a game under the rules.

I find it hard to imagine another period of the Coach Geno era in which the team has gone through such upheavals.

Reaction Score
These next games will be like UConn practices where the players are forced into impossible situations- except for the extra benefit of being in actual games.

Amari and Ines have already shown real potential be part of the rotation by the end of the regular season. These games will also give Caroline the opportunity to get back into the flow- particularly offensively.

Reaction Score

Absolutely correct. But we need Patterson to do a lot more than that. In fact, we need her to become the basketball player she was as a senior in HS. Shoot, drive, rebound, bully.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
KLS said, although she cant play vs Maryland, she will gladly come to the game to give the team an emotional support puke. :rolleyes:
KLS 10 for 10. Aubrey 11 for 11. Lou 12 for 12?

Reaction Score
Even Coach Geno, who has said in the past that you play with the players you have, and you don't, in effect, lament about the players who either aren't here, or who are injured, said after Princeton that he doesn't know how long this team can carry on with the lineup it has. He's not believing in miracles either.

How ironic that just two years ago, we were trying to figure out how in the world the team would find sufficient minutes to keep fifteen really good players satisfied. Now we're looking at possibly not having enough players to start a game under the rules.

I find it hard to imagine another period of the Coach Geno era in which the team has gone through such upheavals.
Replace your LAST WORD with: Opportunities. Last year, with a similar situation, not quite as bad, but Opportunities abounded.
Caroline rose to the occasion, Edwards showed the true Edwards, Nika became the Nika we all love.

Right now---OPPORTUNITIES exist for DeBerry, Ayanna, Ines, Lou, Griffin, Dorka (when she become available). It is simple: You become your SENIOR you, step up to another level. AND forget those you once depended upon, EASY. They can do it.
I don't believe is ---IF ONLY's, but I won't let a good---we didn't have --- if a loss occurs.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm just curious. Is the title of this thread intended as a command in the imperative mood, directing us not to believe in basketball miracles, or is it meant as a declarative sentence with an elliptical first-person pronoun subject, stating that you don't believe in such miracles?

Also, is there a particular reason it was shouted in all caps?

:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom