Domer's expansion | The Boneyard

Domer's expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Per ESPN Radio-Notre Dame rxpanding N.D. Stadium capacity to 84K.

Reaction Score
Aren't they at that now?[/quote

No, the present capacity is 80,975.

Here is a link that talks about the $400 million dollar stadium expansion:

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/29/4784061/notre-dame-announces-400m-stadium.html

Notre Dame is embarking on the most ambitious building project in University history.

When construction is complete, three new buildings with 750,000 square feet will attach to the east, west and south sides of the football stadium to further integrate the academy, student life and athletics.

Visit http://crossroads.nd.edu for more photos and information.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
So they are spending $130k+ for each new seat?
My first thought was similar. Imagine the new stadium that could be built with $400M? Part of that must be infrastructure additions and improvements.

Reaction Score
My first thought was similar. Imagine the new stadium that could be built with $400M? Part of that must be infrastructure additions and improvements.

It is. They are putting up buildings on the west, south, and east side of the stadium.

Reaction Score
It is. They are putting up buildings on the west, south, and east side of the stadium.

TD Jesus was just photographed with a tear in his eye. :cool: (what do I care, I'm going to hell anyway)

Reaction Score
Anything over about 60,000 means nothing from a fan enjoyment perspective. You have to stuff in people a la Michigan Stadium so that you feel you're on the "A" train during rush hour or the seating is a half mile away a la
Kyle Field. They'll sell the seats I'm sure. I always marvel at how many people fly coach 15 hours to Hong Kong or Taipei. I love FB, can take almost any weather, but not the people around me in my lap for 3 1/2 hours.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
TD Jesus was just photographed with a tear in his eye. :cool: (what do I care, I'm going to hell anyway)
Don't worry. I talked to My Brother the Domer and he said TDJC forgives ALL college football fans...

Reaction Score
While their collective mentality that they are God’s gift to football is annoying as hell, I still have to give credit to ND’s alumni base. They are passionate, they care (even if it is misguided over the independence issue), and they walk the talk with their money to such a degree that ND is in the top 20 university endowments with USD 6.3 billion with a smallish alumni base (9,000+ plus undergradates). I hope one day UConn’s alumni base cares that much.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-notre-dame-football-stadium-20140129,0,1139453.story

I like the fact that ND is not trying to have the biggest stadium, aka Texas A&M; but, seem to be focused on having the best and they also will get 3 new student/academic buildings out of the project that will form the base of the suites being built on top. That is not a surprise as ND (US news #18) does seem to take the concept of student athlete seriously, just look at Golson’s suspension, versus, cough, cough, UNC (US news #30).

I also remember this from several years ago when I was travelling through the area. South Bend airport had to expand it’s parking area due to the number of alumni flying in for football games. They have 300 alone in 2006 for the ND/USC game.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2006-07-24-sbn-notre-dame_x.htm

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While their collective mentality that they are God’s gift to football is annoying as hell, I still have to give credit to ND’s alumni base. They are passionate, they care (even if it is misguided over the independence issue), and they walk the talk with their money to such a degree that ND is in the top 20 university endowments with USD 6.3 billion with a smallish alumni base (9,000+ plus undergradates). I hope one day UConn’s alumni base cares that much.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-notre-dame-football-stadium-20140129,0,1139453.story

I like the fact that ND is not trying to have the biggest stadium, aka Texas A&M; but, seem to be focused on having the best and they also will get 3 new student/academic buildings out of the project that will form the base of the suites being built on top. That is not a surprise as ND (US news #18) does seem to take the concept of student athlete seriously, just look at Golson’s suspension, versus, cough, cough, UNC (US news #30).

I also remember this from several years ago when I was travelling through the area. South Bend airport had to expand it’s parking area due to the number of alumni flying in for football games. They have 300 alone in 2006 for the ND/USC game.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2006-07-24-sbn-notre-dame_x.htm

Why do you think that ND is misguided on the independence issue. Just curious.

Reaction Score
ND will always find a sucker (Big East and now ACC) to put up with their demands. I, personally, don't want anything to do with them. Beating ND @ND was one of the highlights of my college football watching life. This from someone that dreamed of going there and playing football for most of his childhood (50+ years ago I should add). I've seen the light.

Reaction Score

Simple, there is a very strong cadre of ND Alumni who would rather see the world burn than give-up their independence. The Big East's second biggest mistake (biggest was rejecting Penn State) was not forcing ND to be full-time member instead of their 'special' arrangement. Without question, that lead to the demise of the old Big East.

Reaction Score
ND will always find a sucker (Big East and now ACC) to put up with their demands. I, personally, don't want anything to do with them. Beating ND @ND was one of the highlights of my college football watching life. This from someone that dreamed of going there and playing football for most of his childhood (50+ years ago I should add). I've seen the light.

Well, I guess ND and its fans should be happy about that. There are very few teams who beat us during the Weis years who saw it as much of an accomplishment, let alone a highlight. So for that we should be grateful.

But at least the two of us have something in common, I also dreamed of going to ND and playing football there. I however have never seen the light.

Reaction Score
Simple, there is a very strong cadre of ND Alumni who would rather see the world burn than give-up their independence. The Big East's second biggest mistake (biggest was rejecting Penn State) was not forcing ND to be full-time member instead of their 'special' arrangement. Without question, that lead to the demise of the old Big East.

I'm one of those who would like to see ND stay independent. I don't think that ND would have joined the Big East if football had been part of the deal. If we had been forced to join a conference, I don't think we would have chosen the Big East, I think it would have been the ACC or the Big 12. (possibly the Big Ten, but probably not)

Had we never joined the Big East, I believe it would still have split up. the Basketball only schools had to do it or lose all negotiating position. I just don't see how ND led to the demise of the Big East. I think that ship had already sailed.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I'm one of those who would like to see ND stay independent. I don't think that ND would have joined the Big East if football had been part of the deal. If we had been forced to join a conference, I don't think we would have chosen the Big East, I think it would have been the ACC or the Big 12. (possibly the Big Ten, but probably not)

Had we never joined the Big East, I believe it would still have split up. the Basketball only schools had to do it or lose all negotiating position. I just don't see how ND led to the demise of the Big East. I think that ship had already sailed.

Hindsight being 20/20, I have to agree on the breakup being a foregone conclusion. There were too many differences in the faction of basketball only vs football/basketball schools. Our change to the FBS was done to make sure we are on the better side of the divide that is coming, we'll yet see if we can get enough momentum to get over the hurdle.

Some of the anger towards ND, rightly or wrongly, can be attributed to that very split. ND created a heavyweight contender for the basketball side. Because the ND football did not commit, that split was inevitable. The football schools such as UConn didn't want that upheaval because of a number of perception factors that snowball. If ND football had committed, it may have helped change the perception of the Big East football and 'saved' that old Big East. The stats were there, just not the talking heads or good marketing. So the anger arises from the 'lack of commitment' though I understand it was not in ND's best interest.

In the ACC, there is no football and basketball split in the same sense as the former Big East. All schools play both. In that sense, ND will not unbalance any power struggles there, and playing a set number of games does boost that stability.

As an UConn alumnus, I am hoping that we can present a good front and get the school to a place of stability, and I hope it is in a place where we can grow to national title contention. I am not sure that we will have the ability in the current conference alignment to do that, though it is possible.

Reaction Score

What he said. ND may not have joined the BE, but they would have had to have joined some conference years ago.

Reaction Score

I agree that the split of the basketball only/Catholics from the old Big East was inevitable as they had different goals from the D1 football members. What I do believe is that a football conference anchored by ND and Miami with traditional football programs like Pitt, Syracuse and BC along with rising star VT, Rutgers for the NYC market, a strong WVU team and newbie UConn would have been a lot harder to break-up. It is conceivable that that core of Big East teams would have been doing the raiding instead of being raided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom