Dom Amore: With a sweet, historic win over Boston College, Jackson Mitchell is becoming the link from what was, to what UConn football can be | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: With a sweet, historic win over Boston College, Jackson Mitchell is becoming the link from what was, to what UConn football can be

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here <<

-> … And there was Mitchell on Saturday, linking past, present and future at Rentschler Field, which was mostly filled, with 25,527, and no one moving toward the exits. Time and again, he was in the right place at the right moment, bursting through the middle sack the quarterback and kill one Boston College possession in the third quarter, intercepting a pass, forcing a fumble and recovering another in the fourth quarter as UConn’s defense, once considered one of the worst in history shut down an ACC opponent to clinch the 13-3 victory, the most satisfying victory these fans had seen in ages.

“That’s how you leave a legacy right there,” Mora said. “You come up with those kinds of plays in the fourth quarter when your name’s Jackson Mitchell.” <-

-> “Anytime you go through ups and downs and grind it out and finally reach that success, it makes it feel that much sweeter,” Mitchell said. “And to do it in Connecticut, where I’m from, is huge. I think this is just the start, really, just a start for me and for this entire defense and team. This win is going to start a new chapter in UConn football, I think. ... For anyone in New England, Connecticut, this is going to be the place to be soon. Right now, it’s the place to be. We’re about to do something really special here.” <-

Reaction Score
The Mike Anthony version:

Assisted access view<<<

->There’s nothing wrong with earning the distinction as one of the few bright spots in an otherwise dark era and that’s what Jackson Mitchell had done long ago, becoming and remaining a very good player on a very bad UConn football team.

But any player truly worth celebrating years after their departure from a program has to actually help change that program while they’re still around.

If there was any question as to whether Mitchell could do that, or was doing that, the debate probably ended Saturday. <-

-> It was alive Saturday, when Mitchell took over in a home he never wanted to leave. Through COVID and a canceled season, through all the trying times of the past few of years, he worked on bringing a program to a different place instead of using the transfer portal as a means to move on.

“Doing it in Connecticut, where I’m from, is huge,” Mitchell said. “And the guys in that locker room, I couldn’t leave. Those are my guys for the rest of my life. There was never any thought about abandoning them and leaving them.” <-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom