Dom Amore: Fresh challenge makes this season different for UConn women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma, and that keeps him going | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: Fresh challenge makes this season different for UConn women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma, and that keeps him going

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Article book report:
“What keeps him coming to work, with a youthful short haircut and a spring in his step as his 38th season approaches?” This year to Geno is different. It is not going through the motions. He has a challenge. He lost the best player in the country. So now what? A Paige driven offense has to be replaced. Everything has to be more precise because Paige isn't there to clean up. The other players will feel more pressure to deliver. Coach Hurly says without Paige there is no one to take over. I believe both Caroline and Azzi can take over a game. “Can I coach this team hard?” asks Geno. So far he has not had to coach hard. The players are doing what he says and doing it well. Well, 90% of the time. So he does not have to coach hard. To which Paige responded, “So, you wait until I’m not playing to be really nice?” Geno is realistic. UCONN's 6th position in preseason polls for Geno is reasonable. Or as Dorka offers “He is pushing the underdog mentality.” He does believe this team has a real urgency. Interestingly he claims it would be hard to pick his starting five. Curious? We are sure of who they are! ;):D It apparently is a question of fit. Which players work best together. “The challenge of making the other pieces fit keeps the smile on Auriemma’s face, his players paying attention and the fun, more fun, he says, than he has had in a while, still his life’s work.”

Reaction Score
8 players are in the mix for the majority of playing time. Who starts is not significant with the depth of this team. The opponent and matchups will dictate court time and shift as the season progresses. Instead of fixating on who starts, envision the mixing and matching of the talent on the court coming from a deep bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom