Dom Amore: Dan Hurley, Huskies, can enjoy Final Four hype, but must also be able to manage it | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: Dan Hurley, Huskies, can enjoy Final Four hype, but must also be able to manage it

Reaction Score

The challenge for a coach is to create a cocoon within the chaos of an event like this, a quiet at the center of the hype storm. Allow players to step out and enjoy the experience, but get them to step back in and close the doors behind them.

“Very similar to Jim [Calhoun], Dan’s been very loose with them,” said assistant coach Tom Moore, who was with Calhoun’s first Final Four team at UConn in 1999. “But he knows, like Coach Calhoun, to apply the hammer to them. He allowed them Saturday, Sunday into Monday to sort of enjoy the dopamine that comes from social media and all of that, but he was back at it hard on Tuesday and today.”

Though he has been to many Final Fours as a spectator, Hurley couldn’t fully comprehend the coming avalanche of attention. He consulted Calhoun, Geno Auriemma, Jay Wright, Tom Izzo among others who have been through it.

“All of my mentors tried to get me ready for this,” Hurley said. “I was smart enough to get great advice from people on what to expect. You don’t expect the [number] of media demands, and just the exhilaration of how big this is. It’s different than you expect.”

“For me, it’s just trying to keep these guys in that balance between the edge that you need to have as a team so that you don’t get complacent,” Dan Hurley said. “But not making them uptight and nervous. That’s the balance all these great coaches have talked to me about. Don’t allow your team to be happy (just) to be here, but they deserve to feel good about it because it’s really hard to get here.”

Reaction Score
Come to UConn and play for a young naturally gifted coach who is consistently growing and improving his craft and receive sage advice from a legend in Calhoun. Get the opportunity to learn how to be a winner and deal with the whirlwind that is being part of a highly successful team from Geno. Enjoy the rich basketball tradition of 6 Final Fours and _ championships. Rub elbows with basketball elite such as Ray, Rip, Oakfor, Kemba, Shabazz and beyond. Come to UConn to beat some of the best coaches in the game and, most of all, be a Husky that reaches Final Four #7.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

The challenge for a coach is to create a cocoon within the chaos of an event like this, a quiet at the center of the hype storm. Allow players to step out and enjoy the experience, but get them to step back in and close the doors behind them.

“Very similar to Jim [Calhoun], Dan’s been very loose with them,” said assistant coach Tom Moore, who was with Calhoun’s first Final Four team at UConn in 1999. “But he knows, like Coach Calhoun, to apply the hammer to them. He allowed them Saturday, Sunday into Monday to sort of enjoy the dopamine that comes from social media and all of that, but he was back at it hard on Tuesday and today.”

Though he has been to many Final Fours as a spectator, Hurley couldn’t fully comprehend the coming avalanche of attention. He consulted Calhoun, Geno Auriemma, Jay Wright, Tom Izzo among others who have been through it.

“All of my mentors tried to get me ready for this,” Hurley said. “I was smart enough to get great advice from people on what to expect. You don’t expect the [number] of media demands, and just the exhilaration of how big this is. It’s different than you expect.”

“For me, it’s just trying to keep these guys in that balance between the edge that you need to have as a team so that you don’t get complacent,” Dan Hurley said. “But not making them uptight and nervous. That’s the balance all these great coaches have talked to me about. Don’t allow your team to be happy (just) to be here, but they deserve to feel good about it because it’s really hard to get here.”
He has been shown the way!

He is applying the way!

This is the way!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There is the danger of getting caught up in the hype.........................
These kids and the coaches (except TM) are experiencing something new and unique to them.
I hope they can look past the celebration the past 5 days and get down to business. DH better be leaning on TM.
We shall see
Enjoy the ride but business is business
Get in and out with 2 Ws and then enjoy the hoopla
They have the talent and hopefully the maturity to get it done.
Let's go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom