Does USC ( the one out west) have a walkon? | The Boneyard

Does USC ( the one out west) have a walkon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm too lazy to look up the roster, but IIRC there were lots of walk-ons during Michael Cooper's time at 'SC and I think he even started one, at least early on, last season.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I'm too lazy to look up the roster, but IIRC there were lots of walk-ons during Michael Cooper's time at 'SC and I think he even started one, at least early on, last season.

I just read through the roster bios, and didn't see any other walk ons. Not disagreeing with you, just want to make sure the roster here is accurate.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The only other walk on during the Michael Cooper years at USC, (09/10--12/13) was a girl named Jade Smith. She was on the team for 2 years from 09--11. She played guard in HS with Talia Caldwell who went to Cal and did pretty well for 4 years there. She never started a game at USC , that I could see. I liked her in HS but didnt think she was a top D1 player, more like a mid major player.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The only other walk on during the Michael Cooper years at USC, (09/10--12/13) was a girl named Jade Smith. She was on the team for 2 years from 09--11. She played guard in HS with Talia Caldwell who went to Cal and did pretty well for 4 years there. She never started a game at USC , that I could see. I liked her in HS but didnt think she was a top D1 player, more like a mid major player.

Thanks.

Reaction Score
My bad, I thought that Gibbs (started first 9 games as a frosh last yr) was a walk-on but actually she was a spring signee. only averaged 7.7 ppg as a HS senior but apparently for a very good team.

However, there was another walk-on (besides the two mentioned) as recently as 11-12's roster:

"THIS SEASON: Kemana Otosi enters her first season at USC as a walk-on guard."

I just remember always seeing unfamiliar names of M. Cooper's rosters and assuming they were walk-ons. For instance, on last year's roster there was a "Malia Cravens" on the roster but not in the stats at all nor on this upcoming year's roster and her bio said:

"THIS SEASON
Malia Cravens enters her first season at USC as a transfer from Hawai'i.
AT HAWAI'ICravens did not compete in her first season at Hawai'i."

...but apparently she had a scholarship?

I see a couple other spring signees/transfers that were unknown on the HS circuit who only show up on the roster one year the gone the next.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
My bad, I thought that Gibbs (started first 9 games as a frosh last yr) was a walk-on but actually she was a spring signee. only averaged 7.7 ppg as a HS senior but apparently for a very good team.

However, there was another walk-on (besides the two mentioned) as recently as 11-12's roster:

"THIS SEASON: Kemana Otosi enters her first season at USC as a walk-on guard."

I just remember always seeing unfamiliar names of M. Cooper's rosters and assuming they were walk-ons. For instance, on last year's roster there was a "Malia Cravens" on the roster but not in the stats at all nor on this upcoming year's roster and her bio said:

"THIS SEASON
Malia Cravens enters her first season at USC as a transfer from Hawai'i.
AT HAWAI'ICravens did not compete in her first season at Hawai'i."

...but apparently she had a scholarship?

I see a couple other spring signees/transfers that were unknown on the HS circuit who only show up on the roster one year the gone the next.

As far as I can recall Otosi never got into a game nor did she ever dress for a game as a walk on.
Cravens was a transfer with a scholarship. Why she left I dont know.
Gibbs was a spring scholarship. She did start 9 games last year, bad move by the former coach. In fact the game USC played at San Diego State, Cooper started her in a man to man defense and she was guarding Courtney Clements(a name many on this forum never heard of). I was at that game and as soon as I saw the defense assignments I screamed out OMG. My friends couldnt figure out what was wrong. I said Cooper is putting an unknown, unheralded, freshman against a future WNBA player. USC got killed that game and Clements got open a lot, scored 25 pts. By the way Clements made the WNBA as a non draftee/walk on and plays for the Atlanta Dream as a rookie this year. One of the toughest players I have seen from HS thru college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom