Does UConn, which held its No. 4 spot in a tumultuous week, deserve the AP top 5 | The Boneyard

Does UConn, which held its No. 4 spot in a tumultuous week, deserve the AP top 5

Reaction Score

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
deer_eating_popcorn.gif

Reaction Score
Massey has UConn second in its ratings. Stats don’t often lie. I recognize that Massey is a reflection of past performance and not future potential, but so far UConn has statistically justified a high ranking in the polls. Just check out their SOS before ranting and raving about their “weak” OOC opening schedule. The vitriol on this site about how weak this team is borders on hysteria, at least IMHO. Dangerfield was the top prospect in her class in several sites (not all), Walker and Williams were virtually unanimous top prospects in their classes and ONO was the top prospect in her class until her injury. That is not chopped liver.☹️

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Gee, we were the preseason #4 pick so why should that change if we have won every game and a couple of the forerunners have lost a game? I could see this article if we were voted #2 this week (though I might not agree with the article, in fact I have disliked many Yahoo Sports articles) but we stayed in the same spot. :rolleyes: Head bang

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Tennessee keeps moving up numerous spots despite having zero big wins and an RPI SOS of 340.

It's odd how this question is asked of UConn, which hasn't really moved in the rankings since preseason, but not others. Guess that's another sign of a program at the pinnacle.

Reaction Score
NCAAW: Does UConn, which held its No. 4 spot in a tumultuous week, deserve the AP top 5?

Of the top eight teams in the Nov. 25 Associated Press women’s basketball Top 25 poll, only one held its position in a tumultuous week of tournaments. That was No. 4 Connecticut, a team that hasn’t wowed but also hasn’t disappointed. So it’s fair to take a closer look at the Huskies, who received an eye-opening two first-place votes for the first time this season.

As far as I can see, this article has no purpose except as a vehicle for a mild whine about UCONN! It reads as if it were written by the character “Pat” of SNL fame. A bunch of hemming and hawing about...........something, followed by a rather ambiguous conclusion that something is just not right!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
To me, the thread was absolutely worthy of a click solely to see @triaddukefan post! I was drinking water and sprayed it all over my desk upon seeing it. Nice job my ACC friend, nice job!
UConn has done a nice job thus far, beating very notable teams with Massey Rankings all under 100 that are proving as solid teams. That’s better than so many of the other teams have shown games against the dregs of D1 basketball ratings. Does playing 1 team in the top 10/15/25 offset playing 5/6/7 of these teams? Anything north of #225 is just embarrassing. Our next few weeks will bear out our rating and as we have seen ALL teams have questions as no one looks so dominant a final four berth is a foregone conclusion. Parity is still really achieved as only 8 of the teams have a realistic chance for a FINAL Four. But more games this year will be interesting. Yeah WCBB. :)

Reaction Score
Ok gang. I found this pearl near the top of this story:
"The Huskies have rode rather quietly into the second month ..."
Have rode? Really? Can we trust any writer who can't get right the various tenses of a simple verb like "to ride?"
It's a stupid story that rather quickly reveals the writers unfamiliarity with the English language which is supposed to be the writer's stock in trade.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Have rode? Really? Can we trust any writer who can't get right the various tenses of a simple verb like "to ride?"
It's a stupid story that rather quickly reveals the writers unfamiliarity with the English language which is supposed to be the writer's stock in trade.
Hey. How do you know that the writer haven't wrote many good articles before this? ;)

Reaction Score
Tennessee keeps moving up numerous spots despite having zero big wins and an RPI SOS of 340.

It's odd how this question is asked of UConn, which hasn't really moved in the rankings since preseason, but not others. Guess that's another sign of a program at the pinnacle.

Totally agree, this question is only asked of UConn. On another thread a poster suggested UConn is only there because of the name on the jersey. As you pointed out, Tenn keeps winning and moving up with an incredible SOS of over 340
1575486095241.png
...you don't think they're moving up because of the name on their jerseys?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
For all we know, it was a wrongheaded editor who screwed that one up. I've seen it happen.

Reaction Score

Kentucky is a bigger pretender than Tennessee in my opinion. They have Rhyne Howard and nothing else. They're not good. I think Tennessee is a legit top 20 team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1575492634748.png

Reaction Score

Goodness. If we start disdaining opinions based on the writer's grasp of the English language, at least 2 things will happen: we'll write off some of our favorite posters, and we'll be very lonely.
Maybe a more germane question would be: who the hell cares what the polls say? Not I.

Reaction Score
Ah, but our posters are not allegedly professional writers, fro whom we should be able to expect at least a reasonable level of decent grammar, methinks.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
NCAAW: Does UConn, which held its No. 4 spot in a tumultuous week, deserve the AP top 5?

Of the top eight teams in the Nov. 25 Associated Press women’s basketball Top 25 poll, only one held its position in a tumultuous week of tournaments. That was No. 4 Connecticut, a team that hasn’t wowed but also hasn’t disappointed. So it’s fair to take a closer look at the Huskies, who received an eye-opening two first-place votes for the first time this season.

We'll have the answer to that question after Sunday's game with Notre Dame. What was a "tumultuous" week for other top ranked programs was an "off" week for Uconn. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. That question will be answered in 4 days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom