Does Uconn and Cuse to B1G make sense? | The Boneyard

Does Uconn and Cuse to B1G make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Huskieforlife

If they truly want NY? I have been thinking this makes sense, if this I what they want.

Reaction Score
No, Syracuse's DMA way too small. It is not a footprint school. From other thread:

One thing that I have wondered is what other steps could Delany take to improve carriage negotiations in the NYC DMA? Sometimes there are no perfect answers, only best ones. Here, would Syracuse help in this aspect? Especially combined with UConn to triple team carriage negotiations?

Two problems-institutional profile and home market/footprint. With respect to institutional profile, Syracuse is not a flagship school (Delany specifically referenced flagship while in NYC two weeks ago), and was but never again will be a member of the AAU. (UConn is a flagship, is academically strong, will before the next decade be AAU, and is a top us news public (Michigan's president used that designation when welcoming MD last month, not its AAU designation)). Also, take a look at Syracuse's student body profile versus that of Boston Univ or NYU. Even UConn, for that matter. Look at the trajectory. UConn and BU up, Syracuse down. Institutionally Syracuse is like Connecticut's textile or ball bearing industries. Inexorably on the decline.

With respect to market profile, Syracuse is in central New York. It's DMA is 377,000 households. See something there? That's not a whole lot more than just UConn's sw CT market of 300,000. For as many of its alums and fans that come to MSG, cable companies in NYC aren't going to buy that equals subscriber value. So if Delany adds Syracuse he is betting purely on Syracuse's brand to boost the NYC leverage. That is a gamble, and a bad gamble at that.

I know that I have made many of these same arguments as before. Just keep the faith, believe in UConn, believe in its leadership, and believe most if all in the power of greed.

Reaction Score
If they truly want NY? I have been thinking this makes sense, if this I what they want.

I think it does - especially after the departure of the CYO7. It seems to me (although w/o knowledge of the contracts that have been signed) that the bb tourney in MSG is now up for grabs. The ACC is going to make another run at it. They will point to the Cuse and BC to demonstrate a local connection. The CYO7 will make a run for it and so will the NNBE. What about the B1G? Talk about a crown jewel media property in the NY market. If they picked up just UConn, the B1G would have a good case to capture this. If they picked up UConn and the Cuse, wouldn't B1G be the favorite?

Pick up UConn and Cuse now. Get the MSG tourney. Hold #17 for BC or UVA when Notre Dame is ready to join.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The need to double up in the NYC DMA with UConn will be based on the BTN ability to get the Tier and Fee structure they want from Cablevision and friends.

If they are having trouble, then UConn adds value. If they get it without UConn, then, ut oh.

Now would be a good time for a UConn advocate to tilt the field in our favor for.once. Leverage the possibility of additional access in the NYC DMA and higher carriage fees in the H/NH DMA.

The BTN will get into NYC eventually, but if Cable knows they can get more content for the same price in NYC and a higher fees in CT supported by Malloy, then we suddenly have an ally we didn't have before.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
CR is being driven by football dollars. Basketball is nice to have, but the B1G will not expand based on basketball. That said, where our AD is falling VERY short right now is what to do about showing that our football program is a growth stock. Can our stadium be easily expanded? Yes. Are/Were we considered the fastest rising football program in D-1 history? Yes. Have we been to a recent BCS bowl game? Yes. Do we have former players currently performing well in the NFL? Yes. Is this year's recruiting class one of our best ever despite consecutive 5-7 seasons? Yes. Has UConn shown, through its other athletic programs, that it can grow national championship caliber programs? Yes. Does any of this ever get mentioned anywhere other than on the BY? No.

Warde Manuel and the CT media HAS to do a better job at selling our football growth potential. UConn football has already achieved great results and can continue to do so. Basketball should be viewed as the icing on the cake that tips the scales in our favor if it's a 50/50 decision.

Reaction Score
Stony Brook probably has a better future than Syracuse. The trend has been public schools for quite a while now. Loads and loads of private schools faded into oblivion over the years when it comes to collegiate athletics. UConn filled the void left by private institutions in Connecticut.

caw

Reaction Score
I would love for UConn to go to the B1G but if they want NYC, UConn only moves the dial a bit and Cuse a less than UConn. ND is really the only school left that moves it a truly large amount.

Reaction Score
Basketball-wise, we definitely penetrate NYC. Football, ND dominates. We need NYC corporations to hire more alumni. My brother is stationed in NYC. Convinced him to leave Virginia Tech for UConn.

Reaction Score
I would love for UConn to go to the B1G but if they want NYC, UConn only moves the dial a bit and Cuse a less than UConn. ND is really the only school left that moves it a truly large amount.

The Big would rather have ND than UConn? Damn -- why did no one else think of that.

Reaction Score
No, it does not make much sense. Expansion is about any number of things, and markets and footprints are two of them. But Syracuse really firs nothing the Big 10 looks for. If anything, the Big 10 expansion appears to be heading south. Both for population purposes and for potential football recruiting. That's why going north makes little sense. UConn fits somewhat better than Syracuse, but the question remains if it adds anything to the conference. I think the Big 10 will have to wait and see what Rutgers can do in terms of getting the Big 10 into New York. That may take a few years...

Reaction Score
No, it does not make much sense. Expansion is about any number of things, and markets and footprints are two of them. But Syracuse really firs nothing the Big 10 looks for. If anything, the Big 10 expansion appears to be heading south. Both for population purposes and for potential football recruiting. That's why going north makes little sense. UConn fits somewhat better than Syracuse, but the question remains if it adds anything to the conference. I think the Big 10 will have to wait and see what Rutgers can do in terms of getting the Big 10 into New York. That may take a few years...
There is NO way surrounding NYC can hurt. In ANY sport. People from Florida and Texas would probably be even more likely to play for a B1G team if they monopolize NYC.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Also, all this delivering of markets and stuff- it's not whether UConn alone delivers the market as a team or program. Out location does. Bring all those B1G teams IN to our market- no doubt needles will start to move.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I still love that people mention football success when talking about B1G realignment. It's part of the equation for ACC expansion but not for the B1G. They added Rutgers and Maryland... not Boise State and West Virginia. Actual success on the football field has about as much to do with B1G expansion as flapping your arms does to flight. It's about cable households...

Where the B1G is concerned Maryland and Rutgers were obvious choices... the next set, if they expand at all, are less so. UNC and UVa maybe... if I were looking at the MD/RU move... I'd say UNC and UVa might give them the best bang for the buck... if UNC wont leave... UConn and UVa might make sense.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I think it makes some sense... I think UConn and UVA make more sense. Plus I'd like to cut off Cuse and BC and watch them wither and die.

I agree. You have to look at the moves they made already... all state schools. The last two in high population areas... big media markets. I don't think they want anymore Northwesterns.

Reaction Score
I think it does - especially after the departure of the CYO7. It seems to me (although w/o knowledge of the contracts that have been signed) that the bb tourney in MSG is now up for grabs. The ACC is going to make another run at it. They will point to the Cuse and BC to demonstrate a local connection. The CYO7 will make a run for it and so will the NNBE. What about the B1G? Talk about a crown jewel media property in the NY market. If they picked up just UConn, the B1G would have a good case to capture this. If they picked up UConn and the Cuse, wouldn't B1G be the favorite?

Pick up UConn and Cuse now. Get the MSG tourney. Hold #17 for BC or UVA when Notre Dame is ready to join.

As attractive as it might sound to us, the B1G isn't going to do anything based on holding the BB tournament in NYC. MSG is great but it's nowhere near their core.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As attractive as it might sound to us, the B1G isn't going to do anything based on holding the BB tournament in NYC. MSG is great but it's nowhere near their core.

Exactly. There's a place called Chicago in the middle of the B1G already. In case none of you have been there, it's not much smaller than NYC and is a nicer city. But the B1G schools are so big that they do have a large alumni base in NYC, hence the Michigan desire to play us in NJ.

I think the B1G is in waiting mode. I think they have given up on Notre Dame. So they can really only go a couple directions. Two from UConn/BC/Cuse or two from Kansas/OU/KSU. I'd be surprised if they pushed for UVA, or if UVA would join a northern league. If that happens, all bets are off.

caw

Reaction Score
The Big would rather have ND than UConn? Damn -- why did no one else think of that.

Reading is fundamental. I didn't say anything about the B1G wanting ND, at all.

My point was UConn and Cuse don't make sense, they don't move the NYC needle enough to take both. One by itself makes some sense, both do not. Clearer?

Reaction Score
There is NO way surrounding NYC can hurt. In ANY sport. People from Florida and Texas would probably be even more likely to play for a B1G team if they monopolize NYC.

You're making a straw man argument. No one says surrounding NYC will hurt. The question is what added value can UConn bring? I don't think the Big 10 even knows the answer to that question. And there's no reason to risk finding out by inviting UConn. Instead, the smart move is to see what Rutgers brings and go from there. That will take time.

Reaction Score
You're making a straw man argument. No one says surrounding NYC will hurt. The question is what added value can UConn bring? I don't think the Big 10 even knows the answer to that question. And there's no reason to risk finding out by inviting UConn. Instead, the smart move is to see what Rutgers brings and go from there. That will take time.

Rutgers by itself will do little (not counting North Jersey). The reason is that, while NYC is not a college sports market, it cares far more about college hoops than college pigskin, and no one not an alum cares about Rutgers hoops.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Rutgers by itself will do little (not counting North Jersey). The reason is that, while NYC is not a college sports market, it cares far more about college hoops than college pigskin, and no one not an alum cares about Rutgers hoops.

If Rutgers won a NC, they would do well in NYC.

It's losing as much as anything that stops them in NY.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
See I don't think it's just a matter of what UConn brings to the table (and I do think we add value.) What is the value to the B1G to having a presence in NYC/Fairfield/New Haven/Hartford/Springfield? That's a different question. There's tangible benefits in relation to the BTN, for sure. Less tangible is- how many Big Ten alumns are there in this region? Adding a presence in this area can make a lot of alumni happy. Happy alumni have relationships with their alma mater, donate to their alma mater, send kids to their alma mater... Sports is a damn effective alumni outreach program.

Reaction Score
Reading is fundamental. I didn't say anything about the B1G wanting ND, at all.

My point was UConn and Cuse don't make sense, they don't move the NYC needle enough to take both. One by itself makes some sense, both do not. Clearer?

For purposes of these discussions, the phrase "make sense" or any other rhetoric that relates to logic should probably be replaced with something more in-tune with roulette or dart boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom