Does the media (ESPN) hate us? Am I paranoid? | The Boneyard

Does the media (ESPN) hate us? Am I paranoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Like everyone else, I've been reading and watching as much as possible over the last week. I see so many articles and videos on ESPN touting BYU ... Cincinnati ... Houston ... Memphis ... And the Florida schools as "no brainers" for the Big 12.

Other sources have us easily in the top four. ESPN, not so much.

Am I reading this right? Is ESPN trying to do us in again? Et tu, Brute?

Reaction Score
The biggest rumor coming out of late is that Fox and ESPN are pushing the Big XII to take 2 which would undoubtedly leave us out.

Reaction Score
The 4 letter network is run by Syracuse grads. There is nothing that would make them happier then to see UConn relagated to mid-major status. Just think, the 4 letter network takes corporate welfare from the state of Connecticut and then does anything they can do to put UConn's athletic department out of business.

Reaction Score
The biggest rumor coming out of late is that Fox and ESPN are pushing the Big XII to take 2 which would undoubtedly leave us out.
That's obviously self serving and with some kind of network promise why would the B12 do it?
ESPN could care less about us ,their parent company is only interested in the bottom line

Reaction Score
It is true. Tanking the football program destroyed us at the most important time in the history of college athletics. Football should've been a selling point. It's been an anchor.
And still, if ESPN lobbied for us we would be in the ACC. Pasqualoni didn't help, but our predicament goes way beyond him.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
And still, if ESPN lobbied for us we would be in the ACC. Pasqualoni didn't help, but our predicament goes way beyond him.

I think the cause of our (undeserved) status as a G5 school can be compared to an airplane crash the Titanic disaster. It wasn't just a single event that led to our situation. It was an unfortunate series of events that came together in a perfect storm of bad luck and self-inflicted wounds.

Reaction Score
You guys don't understand the business of expansion franchises.

There's a shiteload of money to be made through UConn, relative to most schools.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I feel like the ESPN writers absolutely hate us. They never write anything good about the school beyond what is necessary when reporting scores. Total bias.

However, for tv announcing, I find SNY (mlb coverage), CBS, ESPN, etc, often make a point to note UConn players on the field. I think announcers, perhaps reflecting a slight northeast/small school (compared to the south) bias, seem to like our school.

Reaction Score
When the Connecticut HS Football Coaches Association endorses a guy... you listen!!!
Friggin Hathaway.

The Big East pushed for him, as well. PP gave Nick Carparelli his first job out of school working for Syracuse. Nick then supported and recommended PP for the opening at Uconn while he was BE football commish or whatever title he had at the time. Carparelli also applied/interviewed for the AD job at UConn (twice I think), so maybe he knew he was undermining Hathaway. LOLOLOL (sort of)

Reaction Score
Why did Pasqualoni even happen? What was the athletic department thinking taking someone else's failed trash?

He was Syracuse's coach for 14 years during some of their best seasons. Then he spent 5 years in the NFL as a coordinator.

There was nothing wrong with his resume other than the fact he had orange stench all over him.

The problem was that he was old and semi-retired.

Reaction Score
as far as the ESPN spite goes, understand that many of the staffers and production people are local and likely ahve many UConn supporters amongst their ranks. However, most of the on air talent comes from other places, so its human nature to have some schadenfreude if you are the "talent." Especially when the on-air talent tends to have larger egos than a normal person simply by the career they chose.

Reaction Score
Like everyone else, I've been reading and watching as much as possible over the last week. I see so many articles and videos on ESPN touting BYU ... Cincinnati ... Houston ... Memphis ... And the Florida schools as "no brainers" for the Big 12.

Other sources have us easily in the top four. ESPN, not so much.

Am I reading this right? Is ESPN trying to do us in again? Et tu, Brute?

You're not Paranoid...

upload_2016-7-29_14-17-49.png

Reaction Score
The 4 letter network is run by Syracuse grads. There is nothing that would make them happier then to see UConn relagated to mid-major status. Just think, the 4 letter network takes corporate welfare from the state of Connecticut and then does anything they can do to put UConn's athletic department out of business.
Actually, it's run by a UNC grad.

Reaction Score
The three things that screwed us more than ESPN, all right at the same time around conference realignment:

1. Calhoun retires, raising questions about UConn's long-term viability as a Top 10 basketball school
2. Academic probation further sets back basketball
3. Pasqualoni annihilates football program

If it had been 2 years earlier we would've been fine. Maybe.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I think the cause of our (undeserved) status as a G5 school can be compared to an airplane crash the Titanic disaster. It wasn't just a single event that led to our situation. It was an unfortunate series of events that came together in a perfect storm of bad luck and self-inflicted wounds.

Exactly. I saw it on an episode of "Why Major College Athletic Programs Crash".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom