Does Roger Goodell deserve $50m per year and a private jet for life? | The Boneyard

Does Roger Goodell deserve $50m per year and a private jet for life?

Reaction Score
Slightly OT but a good off season football subject.

I find it insane. He has been a disaster as as NFL commissioner. From the ham handed handling of CTE, to the domestic abuse fiasco to national anthem embarrassment, he has presided over falling ratings and attendance without a clue how to fix anything. If anything, the NFL owners should be debating his competency.

I sincerely question if he deserve to keep his job.

While I am a huge supporter of free enterprise and a man earning any number he is capable of getting someone to pay him, I was shocked to see those numbers proposed by Goodell's agent. I think this is another prime example how out of touch the NFL has become.

The NFL's Owners Think Roger Goodell Makes Them Richer. He Doesn't.

Reaction Score
@Palatine right now it's hard for me to take any opinion you have regarding anything NFL related seriously. You have posts on this football board saying Jerry Reese is a good GM and defending him and his drafting history to the hilt. Enough said!!!

Reaction Score
@Palatine right now it's hard for me to take any opinion you have regarding anything NFL related seriously. You have posts on this football board saying Jerry Reese is a good GM and defending him and his drafting history to the hilt. Enough said!!!
Wrong. Show me a post where I defended Reese to the hilt.

I have said that the Giants had the chance to fix the offensive line in the off season and they did not, and that lead to every problem they had this year.

So please, do NOT make up fantasy posts and attribute them to me.

Reaction Score
To the extent that he is a CEO and doesn't get any "equity" - the package isn't really out of line.

It seems absurd to get paid this much cash - almost nobody does. But most CEOs get equity compensation, and you can't do that in the NFL in any real way.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The man hasn't made one good decision since he took that job.

Like Spaulding, he should get nothing and like it. Or maybe he should get sent to the pit of misery.

Dilly! Dilly!

Reaction Score
If those paying the bill say he is worth it.....he is worth it.

He watches over a multi-billion dollar company without any ownership. It makes more money than when he started. He takes a lot of heat his bosses don't want to deal with at all. $50 million might be low.

Reaction Score
To the extent that he is a CEO and doesn't get any "equity" - the package isn't really out of line.

It seems absurd to get paid this much cash - almost nobody does. But most CEOs get equity compensation, and you can't do that in the NFL in any real way.

The point is that he has been a lousy commissioner not that CEO pay is too high.

BTW, there is a split in the owners whether he is worth it. He has given the league black eye after black eye.

Reaction Score
Guys who kneel down should lose their jobs but mediocre front office leadership deserves 50m.

tenor.gif

Reaction Score
There are hundreds of executives that get sent off with many, many millions after screwing everything up. Kind of like football coaches.

Reaction Score

This. It really isn't up to anyone else. And I have no idea what his "replacement" would have done. Might have been better, might have been worse. Some of the "decisions" people decry don't understand why they were made. Logic has very little to do with labor relations. I honestly couldn't say whether he has done a good job or not.

Reaction Score
Slightly OT but a good off season football subject.

I find it insane. He has been a disaster as as NFL commissioner. From the ham handed handling of CTE, to the domestic abuse fiasco to national anthem embarrassment, he has presided over falling ratings and attendance without a clue how to fix anything. If anything, the NFL owners should be debating his competency.

I sincerely question if he deserve to keep his job.

While I am a huge supporter of free enterprise and a man earning any number he is capable of getting someone to pay him, I was shocked to see those numbers proposed by Goodell's agent. I think this is another prime example how out of touch the NFL has become.

The NFL's Owners Think Roger Goodell Makes Them Richer. He Doesn't.

I'm trying to imagine what would cause someone to comment about whether an employee in a private enterprise is overpaid or not. Why in the world wouldn't you leave that to the folks that employ him? Do we get to vote on whether you are overpaid?

Reaction Score

I have said that the Giants had the chance to fix the offensive line in the off season and they did not, and that lead to every problem they had this year.

The team was hit hard with unforeseeable injuries. Reese played the waiver wire and practice squad game to keep a team on the field. And he put together a very competitive squad. it's not his fault that Coughlin can't read a clock.

Reese is well respected in NFL circles. He is going nowhere.

there you go Pal...there are others in that thread as well...you are a Reese fan and have always stuck up for him on here in NYG threads...time to face the music

Reaction Score

How about this one:

"I have posted a ton of facts. Reese is going nowhere because he has done credible job.

Coughlin is leaving because he has been terrible for years."

Coughlin steps down.

Post #37

Reaction Score
But he nailed this one.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to imagine what would cause someone to comment about whether an employee in a private enterprise is overpaid or not. Why in the world wouldn't you leave that to the folks that employ him? Do we get to vote on whether you are overpaid?
Yeah, but... Goodell is taking everyone’s money, not just his employers.

Reaction Score

He watches over a multi-billion dollar company without any ownership. It makes more money than when he started. He takes a lot of heat his bosses don't want to deal with at all. $50 million might be low.
I’ll do it for $49 million, and I can’t be worse.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

An orangutan could be in that position and have the NFL make money.

Reaction Score
He deserves it... as long as right after he signs the contract he boards the private jet and it crashes into the ground.

Reaction Score
He's not taking my money. I pay the same for tickets and consumer goods that advertise for games no matter what Goodell takes.
If you don’t think his $50 mill isn’t part of any tickets or goods, I have a nice bridge in the city for sale.

Reaction Score
If you don’t think his $50 mill isn’t part of any tickets or goods, I have a nice bridge in the city for sale.

LMAO. You think Bud is cutting the price of a six pack if the NFL hires A commissioner for $5M? Or you think they are going to be charged the same amount for an ad and the NFL will just keep more money?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom