Does Moriah Jefferson Need Protection? | The Boneyard

Does Moriah Jefferson Need Protection?

Reaction Score
I'm perplexed by the bus-stop-like barriers that separate MoJeff and the other players in Turkey from the fans. Can anyone shed some light on this practice. What is the purpose/reason for these barriers? Also, are they in use in other countries around the world ...and, for the men's teams?

PS. It certainly appears that Moriah's team won this one and that she was on the floor at games end.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I'm perplexed by the bus-stop-like barriers that separate MoJeff and the other players in Turkey from the fans. Can anyone shed some light on this practice. What is the purpose/reason for these barriers? Also, are they in use in other countries around the world ...and, for the men's teams?

PS. It certainly appears that Moriah's team won this one and that she was on the floor at games end.

Can you supply more background? Your photo does not have MoJeff pictured (unless I am crazy) :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Galatasaray is a huge, huge Football (soccer) Club in Turkey (along with Fenerbahce and Besiktas). They use them in soccer all the time. I imagine it's the same idea. Not particularly for the WBB team, but more just a carryover from soccer (other sports).

Turkish fans can be pretty out of control. A lot of Ultra's, particularly in Football. Don't know about WBB, but...I suppose just to be on the safe side.

Reaction Score
These have been adapted from soccer. Such protection is becoming more common internationally. I've seen them on occasion when highlights of international basketball have been aired

Reaction Score
Galatasaray is a huge, huge Football (soccer) Club in Turkey (along with Fenerbahce and Besiktas). They use them in soccer all the time. I imagine it's the same idea. Not particularly for the WBB team, but more just a carryover from soccer (other sports).

Turkish fans can be pretty out of control. A lot of Ultra's, particularly in Football. Don't know about WBB, but...I suppose just to be on the safe side.

The Game of Thrones battle scenes have nothing on what I just watched in video.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
European fans have a tendency to throw things at players. They've had a real problem in Greece with fans throwing batteries at players, sometimes the home team's own fans throwing them at their own team. There is also a lot of political unrest going on right now in Turkey.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Even in this country it's not unprecedented. An anonymous coach was quoted as saying one of his players was hit in the head with a bag full of urine as the visiting team at West Virginia in Morgantown. Also there have been battery throwing incidents at MLB games.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Even in this country it's not unprecedented. An anonymous coach was quoted as saying one of his players was hit in the head with a bag full of urine as the visiting team at West Virginia in Morgantown. Also there have been battery throwing incidents at MLB games.

NFL too. I seem to recall Eagles and Giants fans throwing things on the field in the general direction of players in some years past.

Reaction Score
D batteries were a favorite in the bleachers at Yankee Stadium, and the reason no alcohol is served in the bleachers there now (for the last 20 years or so).

Reaction Score

It is mostly a carryover from the men's game. Greece is probably the worst culprit overall, but there are a few teams in most leagues whose fans take it too far. In addition to batteries, a common thrown object is coins preheated by lighters. It's not really a problem in the women's game, where fan issues generally don't escalate past words. There are some big club rivalries though where U11 Girl's Volleyball is not immune from organized fan violence.

That said, she and a few other former Huskies may need some protection this week. These are the Turkish semifinals, between clubs that are most certainly top 5, possibly top 3 rivals among multi-sport rivalries (way above American rivalries like Duke-UNC). 35% of Turks identify with either Galatasaray and Fenerbahce, which means over 30 million fans worldwide, and another 20% support Besiktas. Obviously men's soccer is the biggest deal, but when championships are on the line, other sports also take on added importance.

Today, Mo had 25 to lead them to a 74-59 win at home and they can win the series on Wednesday. That would be a massive upset as Fenerbahce has five WNBA players, including Bria Hartley and Kiah Stokes, and Galatasaray has been in financial difficulties in multiple sports. Kiah played the first two games, but for this one, they benched her and Cecilia Zandalasini to bring back their more typical lineup featuring Kelsey Plum and Kia Vaughn.

Reaction Score
It is mostly a carryover from the men's game. Greece is probably the worst culprit overall, but there are a few teams in most leagues whose fans take it too far. In addition to batteries, a common thrown object is coins preheated by lighters. It's not really a problem in the women's game, where fan issues generally don't escalate past words. There are some big club rivalries though where U11 Girl's Volleyball is not immune from organized fan violence.

That said, she and a few other former Huskies may need some protection this week. These are the Turkish semifinals, between clubs that are most certainly top 5, possibly top 3 rivals among multi-sport rivalries (way above American rivalries like Duke-UNC). 35% of Turks identify with either Galatasaray and Fenerbahce, which means over 30 million fans worldwide, and another 20% support Besiktas. Obviously men's soccer is the biggest deal, but when championships are on the line, other sports also take on added importance.

Today, Mo had 25 to lead them to a 74-59 win at home and they can win the series on Wednesday. That would be a massive upset as Fenerbahce has five WNBA players, including Bria Hartley and Kiah Stokes, and Galatasaray has been in financial difficulties in multiple sports. Kiah played the first two games, but for this one, they benched her and Cecilia Zandalasini to bring back their more typical lineup featuring Kelsey Plum and Kia Vaughn.
Very informative. Thank you.

Reaction Score
As for the West Virginia urine throwing incident, it was more likely the bag was filled with "Mountain Dew." ;):D

Reaction Score
I hope that she brought some ankle protection as Kelsey Plum, with some assistance from a push-off, sent her sprawling in a game today.

Her team lost so there will be a big rivalry Game 5 on Saturday:

Fenerbahce made a drastic change with their season on the line, sitting their wily veteran Belarussian power forward Anastasiya Verameyenka to go with two centers in Kiah Stokes and Kia Vaughn. Bria Hartley also made way for Cecilia Zandalasini to give them a bigger lineup. Bill Laimbeer will be happy to have one of his point guards back soon at least.

Reaction Score
Moriah was injured and unable to play in the last game. Galatasaray still nearly pulled it off behind former WNBA player Farhiya Abdi. Fenerbahce kept their lineup from the last game and Kiah ended up being their leading scorer as they rallied in the fourth quarter to win 54-51:

Moriah will make her way to Las Vegas while Kiah and Bria get another two weeks or so in Turkey. Their final opponents have Chelsea Gray, Kelsey Bone, Astou Ndour, and Kim Mestdagh.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I've heard similar stories about LSU football fans, though the targets are often opposing fans.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
S
I've heard similar stories about LSU football fans, though the targets are often opposing fans.

Some Tennessee fans, who attended a football game at Florida in Gainesville, told me that some drunk Gator fans threw bottles at them when they were walking back to their car after the game. There are bad fans everywhere.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom