Does Lou Have Enough Killer In her | The Boneyard

Does Lou Have Enough Killer In her

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ordinarily I'd never raise a question like this. But this is a zero news day and I can always count on a few of us to get into it on almost any topic. Is Ms. Blue Eyes just too good natured? Interestingly enough we may have been offered a little insite in an ESPN article yesterday where she was asked what reality show would she like to be on. Here's how it went:

Ogunbowale, who has already done reality TV, said that if she could be on another show, it would be "Keeping Up With the Kardashians."
"They look pretty lavish, so that would be fun," Ogunbowale said. Samuelson, the American Conference Player of the Year last season, also picked the Kardashians' show -- mostly because she thought it would be hilarious to experience a day with them.
"But I'd also love to see my sister on 'Fear Factor,'" Samuelson said of older sibling Karlie, a Stanford grad who played for the Los Angeles Sparks this past WNBA season.
Uh, is that because Karlie would do well on that show with some of its gross-out challenges?
"Oh, no," Samuelson said with a grin. "I think she'd do terrible."

Media day offers dose of reality to All-America candidates

So it sounds like there is at least mischevious mean in Lou. All those elbows endured at the family basket. We know she is plenty tough enough and there are court side waste baskets to prove it. But does she have the killer instinct - the fire in the belly - that will infect a team and bring them home in their hour of need?

Reaction Score
Ordinarily I'd never raise a question like this. But this is a zero news day and I can always count on a few of us to get into it on almost any topic. Is Ms. Blue Eyes just too good natured? Interestingly enough we may have been offered a little insite in an ESPN article yesterday where she was asked what reality show would she like to be on. Here's how it went:

Ogunbowale, who has already done reality TV, said that if she could be on another show, it would be "Keeping Up With the Kardashians."
"They look pretty lavish, so that would be fun," Ogunbowale said. Samuelson, the American Conference Player of the Year last season, also picked the Kardashians' show -- mostly because she thought it would be hilarious to experience a day with them.
"But I'd also love to see my sister on 'Fear Factor,'" Samuelson said of older sibling Karlie, a Stanford grad who played for the Los Angeles Sparks this past WNBA season.
Uh, is that because Karlie would do well on that show with some of its gross-out challenges?

So it sounds like there is at least mischevious mean in Lou. All those elbows endured at the family basket. We know she is plenty tough enough and there are court side waste baskets to prove it. But does she have the killer instinct - the fire in the belly - that will infect a team and bring them home in their hour of need?

I don't know the answer to your question....................as a matter of fact I don't think even KLS has an answer to your question but I think we're all about to find out...............

Reaction Score

We had a basket on a pole and when my daughter played 2 on 2 with me; there was bloodshed. The dainty floating women exited and WIN was the only mission. SO, that killer instinct was built in the Samuelson driveway and honed by being beaten physically in NCAA basketball.
That "stik" of wanting Karlies to be grossed out--brings memories of my sister to sister kids interaction. As with the Samuelson sisters they loved each other but loved antics.
I was just tickled by this posting, thank you Rocky you nearly always hit the target, thanks.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think Lou is 'killer enough' to want to take the last /critical shot. Whether it goes in or not doesn't enter into the equation imho. No one is 100%.

I also think Crystal has proven to be 'killer' many times (from 3pt) and especially in the FF game against ND and CW may have something to add this season in that category.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I am a big fan of Lou, I guess my avatar gives that away. I have noticed at times a tendency to drift on the floor, generally in one sided games. Last year, I think those moments were injury related, and having to play huge minutes despite her physical limits. Never saw her play more aggressively than in the Cal game before she hurt her foot.

With Kia and Gabby gone, and her ankle better, we will see less of the drifting.

And more of the stuff that earned her a reputation as a warrior, like the Maryland barf bucket game.

There are plenty of athletes that are laid back off the court and turn it on when the time comes. Chris Sale comes to mind.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Lou is 'killer enough' to want to take the last /critical shot. Whether it goes in or not doesn't enter into the equation imho. No one is 100%.

I also think Crystal has proven to be 'killer' many times (from 3pt) and especially in the FF game against ND and CW may have something to add this season in that category.
Overall, even on a slow news day, this is a silly thread. Lou has proven her ability to take over a game, play on one leg (or foot), etc. Should not be a question for this All American. Crystal on the other hand, jury is still out. A few good 3 pointers does not make her a "killer." Mo Jeff could take over a game on defense alone. We saw good offense and defense last year by Crystal but about what is excepted from a point guard on a Top 10 team. Hoping for more, but not in the conversation for All American.

Reaction Score
Interesting subject. I personally think Lou has what it takes to get the job done when they will need it done. She has proven her ability to play through sickness and injury, on one leg/foot and with one eye swollen almost shut. She fights under the basket and moves crazy smooth outside...so smooth it almost looks like she's not working hard. I am confident she wants the ball when the game is on the line! Go Huskeys!!!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

From the article linked below---As his team was warming up for arguably the biggest game of the early season, Geno Auriemma got word that his best scorer was sick.
Katie Lou Samuelson was feeling sick throughout the day Thursday. She threw up and seemed to be in no condition for a game.
In fact, Auriemma would not have been surprised if he was told that Samuelson was unavailable. It was that bad.
But Samuelson was focused on playing against Maryland. She struggled in the first half, shooting 2 of 8 for six points.
By the second half, though, Samuelson found herself. She scored 17 points in the half, leading the No. 1-ranked Huskies to an 87-81 win.
For Auriemma, this was an important game for Samuelson. Facing one of the best teams in the country in front of a capacity crowd, Samuelson emerged as UConn's best player when it mattered most.
"Lou grew up a lot tonight," Auriemma said. "That was not easy for her to do what she did and she was pretty spectacular, if you think about it, under the circumstances." Samuelson Shrugs Off Illness, Leads UConn Against Terps

Reaction Score
I believe Lou has the killer instinct on the offensive end but our season might depend on her rebounding. At times she will be the tallest player out there for UConn, with Gabby gone we will need her to rebound. Does she have that in her? I am hoping that she gets at least 8 boards a game.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
These are the pictures of Lous eye after she was elbowed(no call) in the game at Texas last season.. Lou finished the game with this eye and had 19 points to lead the team to the 75-71 win. I have seen Lou play, at all levels. She is hands down the toughest player I have seen in the past 10 years.
Lous eye.jpg

Reaction Score
There has to be a big fire in her gut to end her college career playing in a championship game having a big role in another banner going up at Gampel

Reaction Score
I do believe that Lou has that killer instinct - I think her ankle hid this aspect to viewers/its not a fully developed trait. Here are some moments I recall off the top of my head where she showed glimpses.

2016/17 season: At #1/2 ND - Uconn had built a lead, ND went on a run and regained the lead. Lou drove to the basket, posted up hard, got a 3 point shot blocked, etc all in a one minute span. She was hungry to be the person to stop the ND run despite missing shots or being well defended. She responded by hitting a 15 ft jumper and a fast break layup on consecutive possessions to tie the game before half.

2016/17- FF Mississippi State- she took the ball and drove hard to the basket to stop the run when the huskies were down 16. She just looked like, ok enough is enough. Also, she hit a huge 3 down the stretch, a jumper, and 2 free throws in OT. She made plays, but didn't command the ball enough.

2016/17- Maryland- Basket after basket in the 3rd qtr when MD was going on a run.

2017/2018- Texas- first quarter- she basically kept Uconn within striking distance, made a buzzer beater 3.

2017/18- ND final four- huge 3 at the end of the first quarter. Shot the ball well on a big stage but didn't get enough opportunities. Needed to command the ball more.

I think you can see its in her nature, but she hasn't fully executed it yet.

Reaction Score
Anybody who plays on a bad ankle as good as she did has to have killer instinct! If that’s not killer instinct then I’m at a lost for real for real! Katie Lou has definitely has it!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
From the article linked below---As his team was warming up for arguably the biggest game of the early season, Geno Auriemma got word that his best scorer was sick.
Katie Lou Samuelson was feeling sick throughout the day Thursday. She threw up and seemed to be in no condition for a game.
In fact, Auriemma would not have been surprised if he was told that Samuelson was unavailable. It was that bad.
But Samuelson was focused on playing against Maryland. She struggled in the first half, shooting 2 of 8 for six points.
By the second half, though, Samuelson found herself. She scored 17 points in the half, leading the No. 1-ranked Huskies to an 87-81 win.
For Auriemma, this was an important game for Samuelson. Facing one of the best teams in the country in front of a capacity crowd, Samuelson emerged as UConn's best player when it mattered most.
"Lou grew up a lot tonight," Auriemma said. "That was not easy for her to do what she did and she was pretty spectacular, if you think about it, under the circumstances." Samuelson Shrugs Off Illness, Leads UConn Against Terps
The article tones down the real story. Lou was barfing in buckets before and after scoring buckets.

Reaction Score
I believe Lou has the killer instinct on the offensive end but our season might depend on her rebounding. At times she will be the tallest player out there for UConn, with Gabby gone we will need her to rebound. Does she have that in her? I am hoping that she gets at least 8 boards a game.
Actually Lou has the full package and very talented, but the only thing she didn't show the last couple of years was that killer attitude taking over a game and not backing down from a tough defender. I thought that was the difference the last couple of years. I think Williams and Walker are strong enough to take over that role. They have that attitude!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
When I was in the Army I shredded the tendons on my right ankle, I was in the hospital for 4 days, then in a boot for 4 months. I couldn't walk 10 feet after it happened and was screaming like a little baby. For Lou to play almost the whole year on a bum ankle she has my vote for one of the most badass players to ever walk the halls at UCONN.

Reaction Score
KLS is no DT, but who is? I would hope Geno coaches up KLS this year to be more assertive, especially in big games, since she creates so many mis-mtaches for the other team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom